• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Junk in NATOPS

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I always felt like the Army 60 manual had barely changed in 40 years.
Oh contraire. Our -10 changes constantly...just not in a meaningful manner. For example, our latest change has a new paragraph added for the BAM window. It's a smaller sliding window on the cabin door window. The whole paragraph tells you how to open and close the simple sliding window. REALLY! It's easier to work than the little circular window/vent on the cockpit windows, which, ironically do NOT have a description on their use. I estimate only half of our HH-60Ms have the BAM window installed, yet this has been included in our latest -10 change. However, we've had an Aviation Safety Action Message (ASAM) modifying our EPs for hoist malfunctions that has missed the last two -10 changes.

But, I do understand what you are talking about. We still have a "Cyclic Mounted Stabilator Slew Up Switch" and an EP on how/when to use it, despite there not being a stabilator related accident in 30 years*. The 60M does not use stabilator amplifiers, has dual digital flight control computers directing the stabilator position and dual actuators to position the stabilator. It can even operate in a degraded auto mode with one actuator totally not working.

* According to sources at Sikorsky/United Technologies/Lockheed and some at the MTP school at Ft Rucker, there has been exactly ZERO stabilator hard-over accidents in the Blackhawk. ie no lawn dart incident ever actually occurred.

Edit: Another jewel: We changed the spelling of:

"The handpump reservoir contains a sight gage above the handpump crank."

to:

"The handpump reservoir contains a sight gauge above the handpump crank."

Don't get me wrong. I'm a borderline grammar Nazi, so I appreciate fixing stuff like that. But when you can't get the ASAM change in there, I have to edit my -10 .pdf and any printed version for a third time. Way to go CW5s at Ft Rucker!

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Edit: Another jewel: We changed the spelling of:

"The handpump reservoir contains a sight gage above the handpump crank."

to:

"The handpump reservoir contains a sight gauge above the handpump crank."
Either spelling, gage/gauge, to refer to a little dial that tells you something. Maybe the people who made the change got the word confused with an old British general at Bunker Hill...?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
* According to sources at Sikorsky/United Technologies/Lockheed and some at the MTP school at Ft Rucker, there has been exactly ZERO stabilator hard-over accidents in the Blackhawk. ie no lawn dart incident ever actually occurred.
Fellow Prowler bubbas . . . anyone know what the final verdict was at sundown? Did an EA-6B ever have flaperon pop-ups in flight, or was the urban legend true that that boldface was just a carryover from the A-6 NATOPS?
Either spelling, gage/gauge, to refer to a little dial that tells you something. Maybe the people who made the change got the word confused with an old British general at Bunker Hill...?
That's OK. One of these days, the Navy will discover (to its shock) that "practicable" is not a word, but just a bastardization of "practical."

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Did an EA-6B ever have flaperon pop-ups in flight, or was the urban legend true that that boldface was just a carryover from the A-6 NATOPS?

In 2011/2012(?) a 129 jet came into the break and when they went to idle the flaperons popped up due to a mis-wired WOW switch. I don’t remember any of the details, but that was the jist of it. Instructor pilot handled it with no issues.

Jim123

pilot
In 2011/2012(?) a 129 jet came into the break and when they went to idle the flaperons popped up due to a mis-wired WOW switch. I don’t remember any of the details, but that was the jist of it. Instructor pilot handled it with no issues.
Betcha you'd feel that in the seat of your pants real quick! ?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, I remember that one now that you mention it, and you could get the pops with a WoW fail for sure, because the jet thought it was on deck.

I was thinking of another obscure malfunction that could theoretically happen to cause popups in flight outside of the WoW switch. I swear I could remember someone telling me that it’d never happened to a Prowler, but had happened to an Intruder, and was the reason there was a “Flaperon Pop-Ups In Flight” boldface separate from the WoW switch failure procedure. But the penguin carrying the specifics of the hydraulic system that would cause that to happen has long left the iceberg.

Edit: I think it had to do with moving the flaps and slats, because the RAG CSIs would give it to you on takeoff.

Last edited:

Jim123

pilot
But the penguin carrying the specifics of the hydraulic system that would cause that to happen has long left the iceberg.
d68b96608b695a2c4db9bdcc9717bda1.jpg

tenor.gif

dc3695f179f7567a87d2c78d0ddfb584.gif

The last one is the effects of alcohol on studying NATOPS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We just got tablets. I love their terrible battery life.

I'm not sure if PMA-290 sources its EFBs through -2whatever that sources them for -299, but if so, I'm sure they're a poor substitute for what everyone else in the industry uses. But we've been down this rant-hole before.