• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Junior sailor looking to become officer

Sayre

Beefalo said:
Sayre why cant you apply without a waiver? I thought the cutoff was 27. I am 22 right now.

My birthday is in August so I'll be 26 before results are announced next year, then you don't start school until summer or fall of the following year so I'll be 27 then. You need to have your degree complete by 27th birthday so I need the waiver. Makes it tough because I'm a Engineering major so I've had to pull some strings working with advisors and professors to fit everything in. As far as I know, NFO still goes up to 32 but it would be nice to stay in the sub community.

twidget

Deskaholic
Beefalo said:
Twidget I guess when I check onboard and my LPO, chief, or whoever asks me what my goals are I will def tell it them. Do you think that would be wise? After I get my basic quals out of the way my 3 main goals are STA-21, ESWS, EAWS.

Thinking about enrolling in one college class in the meantime. I really want to finish up my AA ASAP.

Yeah, absolutely let them know what you're after right away. You may catch some flack for it, but just stick to your guns and show them how motivated you are. Guess I should explain that a little. As a relatively new Sailor, many people are probably going to tell you to just worry about learning your job, getting your quals, etc. While that's true, you should do the best damn job you can at everything you're assigned, you can still have a long-term goal, and you definitely need to let your chain-of-command know. Make sure you talk to your divo about it when you have your interview. "From my experience", officers, especially prior enlisted officers, are MUCH more willing to assist with commissioning applications than LPOs or CPOs.

twidget

Deskaholic
As a junior enlisted sailor its hard to stay motivated sometimes. Some days will be very long, mopping pways isnt exactly motivaing, some PO3 or 2 will think he's a master chief and will be the worst leader you ever saw he only made it cuz the advancement is like 80 percent, etc. Basically your primary duty is your enlisted job and anything officer related will have to come second.

Basically as a civilian you have nothing but free time to stay motivated and can take breaks to stay motivated/sane. You cant really take a break on a 6 month cruise on a ship. I know for me there has been many long days of duty etc. where Im just like "forget it im way too tired im going to bed' rather then studing the ACT, taking classes, working out, community service, etc.

Not saying its impossible but it will def be a challenge. Good luck.

OK Beef, what gives?

You're still in "C" school right? Are you in X-division or the 1st Lt Division right now? Sounds like it by the way you describe your duties. Yes, that kind of work sucks! I had to do 45 days in the galley while waiting for my A-school classes, and several weeks of cleaning duty at various times in the training pipeline waiting to class up or to transfer.

Don't let the haters get you down. Stick to your plan and power through the tough times. You don't have to kill yourself to try to be perfect all the time. You need some down time to recharge. Just try to stay consistent. Put your goals and steps down in a planner, notebook, wallet, whatever, and make sure it's somewhere you're going to look at it. Try to set-up a timeline for the things you can do while waiting to get to your ship, and just do a little bit here and there. If you give yourself a deadline for your next little step you'll be able to reach it and move on to the next.

F'rinstance, if your goal is to submit a package for STA-21 and you know you need to make your record and evaluations look as good as possible, make a list of specific things you can do:
  1. Complete NEETS Mod x by y date
  2. Complete x chapters of ACT study guide by y date
  3. Volunteer x hours at foodbank on Saturday
  4. Complete NKO course x by y date
You can take it, whatever they put you through right now. Your first 18 months are by far the most difficult; getting through school, reporting to a new command, being the FNG, mess-cranking. It all sucks, but it's necessary on your road to success.

Beefalo

Ok I dont know how that response got in here I think you replied in the wrong thread Twidget.

I wasnt trying to discourage him. Just telling it how it is from my own experience. It can be done its just going to be harder IMHO but if he wants to be a mustang more power to him thats why I enlisted first.

twidget

Deskaholic
I cut-and-pasted this into your thread because I didn't want to thread-jack his post with a response to you. I didn't have any problem with what you told Sayre. Just wanted drop you a post of encouragement since you sounded a little frustrated in the other thread.

Beefalo

Question.

Im registering for the ACT in FEB. Do I need to take the written part of the test or just the multiple choice?

Also I am registering online for the ACT. How exactly do I enter the ACT into my submission package? Is there a link for the ACT site or do I have to special request it?

Im only 2 classes away from my AA now. Banking on getting both my pins at the end of this year. Just got to stay motivated. My package is slowly growing.:icon_smil

thanks all

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Beefalo said:
Question.

Im registering for the ACT in FEB. Do I need to take the written part of the test or just the multiple choice?

Also I am registering online for the ACT. How exactly do I enter the ACT into my submission package? Is there a link for the ACT site or do I have to special request it?

Im only 2 classes away from my AA now. Banking on getting both my pins at the end of this year. Just got to stay motivated. My package is slowly growing.:icon_smil

thanks all

1420.1A said:
Test results can be released directly from the testing agency by marking Release Code 0493 on the test registration form.

As far as both parts, I would guess that you would be required to take both since they are looking at your math and english scores.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Beefalo said:
Well they are going to give you your scores and its not just going to be by word of mouth. You can either make a copy or put the actual results in your package. You could also call ACT up and they will send you your scores. Good Luck.....

sarnav

Beefalo

Good luck with the ACT. As I am sure many others here have experienced the road form E to O isnt the easiest, but it will be worth it in the end. I have been working my package for 2+ years and I am finally at a command that is willing to support me. Keep doing what you are doing (getting your quals, EP evals, your AA) and your time will come. Good luck and keep charging.

SN

Beefalo

Well Im really unsure about this year. I finally report to my command next month. By the time I get to my command and the JUL1 deadline I probably wont even have an eval yet. Im hoping my AA, personal statement, LOR, and the couple months im there will be good. Doesnt hurt to at least try though.

I know next year my package will be golden.