• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Junior sailor looking to become officer

Beefalo

What would be some good ways a junior sailor like me could do to strengthen my chances of being selected as a officer candidate? Im looking at the STA-21 program or finishing my degree and trying for OCS. Can one still attend NROTC on active duty? I have 65 quarter college credits. I just finished ATT which is what ET/FC tech core used to be. I finished 10 days ahead and my class LPO gave me some good reccomendations for academics, being a good class leader, and military bearing. Im about to start ET A school. I hope to get DMG or honor grad cuz I know that would look real good on my package.

Basically looking for ways to stand out among my peers. Anyone know of any extra curricular activities I could get involved in while in Great Lakes that could strengthen my package?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beefalo said:
What would be some good ways a junior sailor like me could do to strengthen my chances of being selected as a officer candidate? Im looking at the STA-21 program or finishing my degree and trying for OCS. Can one still attend NROTC on active duty? I have 65 quarter college credits. I just finished ATT which is what ET/FC tech core used to be. I finished 10 days ahead and my class LPO gave me some good reccomendations for academics, being a good class leader, and military bearing. Im about to start ET A school. I hope to get DMG or honor grad cuz I know that would look real good on my package.

Basically looking for ways to stand out among my peers. Anyone know of any extra curricular activities I could get involved in while in Great Lakes that could strengthen my package?
Your BEST bet is going to be when you show up to your first command. Do a great job, get quallified on everything you can, volunteer for everything you can handle, and find one of the successful 2nd classes in your shop and learn from them. That will set you up well for STA-21 applications. Talk to your CCC about the specifics of that group of programs (which does include NROTC). In the meantime, continue to kick ass during your training. Sustained superior performance!

Good times,

Brett

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Echo what Brett said. To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to participate in NROTC while active duty.

Since you are about to embark in a challenging "A" School, off duty education is definitely out. That doesn't stop you from applying the knowledge you already have to a couple CLEP or DANTES tests at your local Navy College Office. I tested out of 12 college credits this way. It's an easy (and free) way to earn college credit, and shows your dedication to furthering your education. I never applied to STA-21, but I can imagine that having more credits makes you a more attractive candidate. This way the Navy saves money on your education, and you earn a degree quicker.

As for things you can do while in "A" School, look into volunteerism and community service, but do not overburden yourself, your school is of primary importance.

When you get to your permanent duty station, be sure you are one of the stand-out technicians. Wearing a sharp uniform and using proper military protocol will get you noticed, and developing into a talented electronics tech will give your entire command a positive opinion of you.

Expect to wait at least 6 mos to a year at your permanent duty station before applying to STA-21. I know this seems like a while (it really isn't), but that is about the minimum amount of time necessary to learn the basics of your job, excel at them, and build a positive reputation for yourself. If your chain of command knows and respects you, you will be amazed at the lengths they will travel to help you. Similarly, if you show up and try to submit a package right away, you are far less apt to be successful.

Continue to excel, and start looking at your leaders. Try to select the traits that make them good leaders, and implement them. Likewise, identify the bad traits in certain leaders, and remember not to use them as you advance though the Navy.

Regards,
Paul/AT1

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beefalo said:
Basically looking for ways to stand out among my peers.

Since no one has said it yet, I will. STAY OUT OF TROUBLE. You know what you can and can't do. I saw too many great Sailors have their hopes of a commission destroyed thanks to careless behavior, on duty and off. Don't sabotage yourself.

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
All very good advice so far. Cordespc touched on it but volunteering for community service and the like will definitely set you apart. Of course, right now, apply your self to your full abilities and learn your rate so when you do get to your first duty station it will be a little easier for you to shine. Knowing your job well should allow you a little more free time to partake in more off duty activities. The key word you want to keep in your back pocket is "leadership." I understand you will be a junior sailor but if and when the time comes to lead, jump on it (i.e. working parties, helping organize divisional/departmental functions, etc.). Finally, when it is your time to work the mess decks as an FSA, keep up on military bearing and strive for the best jobs (ones that get you some good face time) like CPO mess or wardroom. Just always be at your best and you will get picked up before you know it. Good luck.

Beefalo

I think they have some weekend volunteering here at Great Lakes. We dont get liberty till like 1800 here so the weekdays I dont have much time to go out since class starts at 0600 and its way too easy to fall asleep in class since its all self paced computer based training now. Im surprised how many sailors here get themselves into trouble on the weekends which is why they treat us like kids here sometimes.

ET A school is kind of a double edged sword. Its self paced so people try to grad as soon as possible because nobody really likes it here but then it causes test scores to lower. All the NMT, marching, and now mandatory pass in review every month as part of the enhanced NMT really gets to us here.

I worked as quick as possible to get out of boot camp and now im working as quick as possible to get out of Great Lakes. I hope I dont spend the rest of my Navy career trying to get out of my current command as quick as possible...Is the fleet or C school anything like TSC Great Lakes?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beefalo said:
I worked as quick as possible to get out of boot camp and now im working as quick as possible to get out of Great Lakes.
Is bootcamp done via CBT now? Seriously, can you really get done sooner than others?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beefalo said:
What would be some good ways a junior sailor like me could do to strengthen my chances of being selected as a officer candidate?
Coincidentally, had a brief the day before yesterday by a commander (O-5 type) who happened to sit on last year's STA-21 board. The brief was not about STA-21, but he was relaying a story about how to make our sailors better candidates for the program itself. He said that two things will make candidates stand out. They are 1) having an associates degree completed and 2) having at least 5 quarter hours (which equates to 4 semester hours) of calculus completed. A full year of calculus is even better, but he really did stress that having just 5 quarter hours of calculus will significantly increase your chances.

Also realize that all your high school work (gpa) is counted, any college work attempted, and SAT/ACT scores are weighed in.

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
I know some guys that never even made it to their first command before getting picked up right out of A school and the FRS. One guy (AW) was picked up from FASO for USNA, a female in AT A school got picked up for it as well, when I was going through back in '94. I knew a pilot that got picked up for ROTC while he was in nuke school(but that was back in the late 80s). I would definately apply as soon as you can, realizing that your first prioity is grades, school and getting qualled as everyone here has said.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
IFT2O said:
I know some guys that never even made it to their first command before getting picked up right out of A school and the FRS.

Yeah, there were a few that got picked up out of my hubby's A school class; my husband was selected right after he finished the nuke pipeline (we never made it out of Charleston.) Apply as early as you can.

Beefalo

I just have to take the SAT or ACT. Dont you need your CO to reccommend you? Im not sure how that would work. Is the deadline over this year?

Kycntryboy

pilot
Brother got picked up for ROTC during his A-school this year while in the nuke pipeline, wasn't out of bootcamp for more than a month when he found out he got accepted.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Steve Wilkins said:
1) having an associates degree completed and 2) having at least 5 quarter hours (which equates to 4 semester hours) of calculus completed. A full year of calculus is even better, but he really did stress that having just 5 quarter hours of calculus will significantly increase your chances.

Also realize that all your high school work (gpa) is counted, any college work attempted, and SAT/ACT scores are weighed in.

I still got picked up, despite a terrible college GPA and no college calculus completed. I think it was my Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal that did it for me, along with my A school and Power School GPA.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Beefalo said:
I just have to take the SAT or ACT. Dont you need your CO to reccommend you? Im not sure how that would work. Is the deadline over this year?

If you haven't taken the SAT/ACT yet then yes, the deadline is over for you. There is no way to take the test and have it scored in time. However, take it, after july so it doesn't count on this year, so that you can start your application as soon as possible.

Yes, you have to have a CO's rec. If you submit a request chit to apply that will be taken care of. You will likely have to go through an interview process before they even let you apply to see if they are interested in endorsing your application. I applied for NROTC back in 1996 at "A" school and had several interviews. I later found out that the NROTC people didn't even submit my application, but that's not for this thread.

The deal is submit early and submit often. If you really want it, perform well and keep a great attitude you will get it eventually. Don't become upset or put down by a denial. Let that just motivate you more and prove to them that you should have been accepted earlier. This is the best program any service has to offer, and it's worth the patience that it may take.

Kevin

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
I still got picked up, despite a terrible college GPA and no college calculus completed. I think it was my Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal that did it for me, along with my A school and Power School GPA.
Don't confuse what I said to mean that you have to have those things I mentioned to get picked up.