• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Junior sailor looking to become officer

You should get involved with honor guard, they also had volunteer work when i was there because of flooding in gurnee. There are a number of things to do but the way great lakes is its hard to get an eval of any sort. I didn't get an eval when I left there. The best thing to do would be get extra college credits while you are there.

cjohnson1

Hey sb2203, I was also an undesignated Airman aboard the mighty Wasp... Now a helicopter pilot. Took me awhile before I got my crap together and started taking college classes, so you should start now. I was selected for ECP when I was 26 and commissioned at 28. If youre only 20, you have plenty of time, but use it wisely.... and stay out of trouble.

Ex Rigger

pilot
You can apply whenever you want, however, your chances of getting picked up are better with a solid record of "sustained superior performance", which takes time.

scarnuts

OUCH!
LaneNFO said:
when would be the best time to apply for the STA-21 program? i mean, after enlisting, should i apply asap, or should i try to build up a solid reputation first?
Lane, sb2203, Beefalo, and who ever wants STA-21, you should get started on your package and send it in next year. If you don't, it will only ensure that won't be selected for that year. However, if you do put that package in, and god willing you get selected, well the rest is history. And if you don't get selected? Then you will know all of the "ins and outs" of the package process and your follow-on package (for the next year) will be that much stronger.
I didn't apply for STA-21, but I did get turned down from OCS 3x and my package was pretty strong after that many denials. Just remember, that the squeeky wheel gets greased first, and that means persistence, persistence, persistence! Never give up!

Beefalo

Just to let you guys know I finished A school and am heading to C school in Pensacola. I made it out of Great Lakes without getting in trouble which is surprising considering seeing so many guys on restriction on base. Im going to be stationed on the Lincoln in WA.

I finished A school 43 training days ahead which is quicker then anyone I was there with at the time. I also never went up for an ARB (academic review board) for any test. My LPO tried to get me a letter of commendation but was told "graduating is his reward." by the chiefs.

I been studing up on the ACT and hope to take it sometime while in C school. Might try to get into some volunteer work to if they give us a decent amount of liberty. Seems like we hardly get any at all thanks to all the guys always getting in trouble and duty every 4 days.

fredolipo

Some will say: "Come on time, wear your uniform properly and do your job". You need more to be a Naval Officer.

This is what you need:

Outstanding PRT (at least outstanding Low), outstanding Military bearing ( Ship Shape uniform at all time...shine your boots no matter what the others say), outstanding proof of Leadership (A school class leader or section leader, pass your test for third class the first time and try your best to make a difference), outstanding quals (Make yourself useful for your shop, Airwarfare, Seawarfare, plane captain, rating quals), outstanding evals (stick with the best, don't become a hater, promote the Navy, stay out of trouble...drinking and fraternisation are the big ones) and remember your goals. Put them on paper and stick to it.

At time, it will be hard (Temporary Assigned Duties, cleaning the shop, cruise, being away from Home) but it will make you stronger. Remember that it can always be better since you can only move up if you do the right things. Study, study and study is the only way to the top...my RDC was right about that.

Don't drop your guard and stick to your guns. When you submit your application, make sure that you pay attention to detail. Make sure you shine and you will be golden.

The sky is not the limit...be motivated and you will get what you want. Good luck!

Beefalo

Just thought Id give everybody an update. I am in C school right now in Pensacola. Im pretty anxious to get to my ship so I can start getting evals, getting warfare quald, proving my worth, etc.

As with alot of other people I know who are in the military its been hard to keep my focus on my goals. I know many people who join the military with high goals only to lose sight of them or find out the military is not as great as they thougt it would be. There are many days when I hate the Navy and tell myself Im getting out after my 6 years. But in the end my drive to be an officer keeps me motivated. It would be awesome to be in aviation but I wouldnt mind chipping paint as long I was an officer.

I know there isnt a whole lot I can do in C school that will look good in my package but I am trying. I volunteered to be an "e-mentor" for teenage children in urbran cities. I also got one of my former employers to write out a great LOR for me. Also studing for the ACT and planning on finishing up my AA (only need 25 more quarter credits, probably CLEP some) once I get to my ship. Im kinda upset I forgot to get my transcript from A school cuz my LPO put in it I was a "outstanding class leader and had exellent military bearing that reflected on others." Maybe I can call my old LPO and ask him to fax it to me? When I put in my package I want the board to know I was focused on getting my commission the day I swore into the Navy.

hourocket

Bullseye
None
Sounds like your head in the right place, just keep your eyes on the prize and do the best you can do. Dont get let down if you fail to picked up at first, just keep trying, and trying some more. Oh, I wouldnt be too anxious to get to the ship, its not that fun.

Denroll

My advice:

-Print out the entire instruction, read it, read it again, and then read it a 3rd time. Highlight important or obscure sections so you don't pass over them (i.e. which way are the pages of your application supposed to face when printed out in landscape view? What kind of clip should and shouldn't you use when putting your package together?)

-In addition to the instruction, print out all applicable NAVADMINS that have amplifying instructions, such as the age limit updates, etc.

-Study for and take both the ACT and the SAT. The instruction clearly states either/or, so you can use whichever results are better. I got one of those cheezy study guides (Princeton Review, I think) and studied that for a few weeks before taking both tests back to back. I added 4 points to my ACT that way and cut a really decent score on the SAT for my first time taking it.

-College credit, 'nuff said. With your ET schooling, you won't be far off from an Associate degree. If you were so inclined, check out Excelsior College as they will accept pretty much ALL of your military schools as credit and you don't even need to take a class from them to get that degree. Some might call it hokey while others say you're just doing what you gotta do to get ahead. What looks better in an application: a degree or no degree?

-Warfare pin: get it and get it fast. Get dual qualed if you can.

-Volunteer work. It takes 3 straight years of volunteer work to earn the MOVM (volunteer medal). If you change commands, be sure to get any volunteer work you've done documented so you can continue on that 3 year period at your next command. That is one of the rarest medals below the Mavy/Marine Corps Medal you'll see in the fleet. I have yet to see one (although I've been told I have one coming my way).

-Start collecting documents. Send your mom out to your high school for a certified copy of your transcript. Hold off on the college transcripts if you are or plan on taking courses at the beginning of the year.

-Ask an Officer (with Paul Mooney). When you get to the ship, find out what officers are prior enlisted, find out which program they went through, and ask them for some guidance. Most of them will be happy to help.

-Start on that corny statement of desire now. As my OIC told me, "There isn't a personal statement out there that isn't corny."

-Be somewhat familiar with the field in which you wish to enter. That knowledge will be invaluable during your interviews and that murderous NRB.

Follow these steps and hopefully we'll see you posting at this time next year as a selectee.

-FC1(SW)

(^ is that a cheesy way to sign off? Are you all on a first name basis around here, or just go by screen names?)

Beefalo

Ok couple more question for you guys. I get to my command in FEB but during the July 1 deadline my ship will be on deployment. Dont know if I can submit it while out to sea.

1. How long does it usually take to get your CO recommendation? Especially on a carrier when the CO will probably never even see you or know who you are.

2. How exactly do I setup interview boards and how long in advance should I request it? If im doing CORE do I still need to?

3. They changed ET A school recently where its all on CBT now. Since ACE hasnt reviewed this new method yet all of my A school credits say no reccomendation for credits. I got credits for boot camp and making Seamen but for making ET3 I got nothing. Will the SOCNAV schools still honor the credits? I was banking on these to help me finish my AA since I have most of the general ed requirements complete. Out of the 43 reccommend semester hours I looked over at navycollege.com for ET3 I have like 5 on my SMART transcript. Maybe a trip to the Navy college office will help.

Im not feeling too good about this year. Ill only be at my command for 5 months before the deadline so i prob wont have any evals or PFA scores. Im banking heavy on having a good ACT score, an AA or damn close to one, LOR from a former employer, and kicking ass in A school. I know ill have alot more stuff next fiscal year when ill have some evals, PFA, dual warfare hopefully, etc.

Sayre

Beefalo said:
Im not feeling too good about this year. Ill only be at my command for 5 months before the deadline so i prob wont have any evals or PFA scores. Im banking heavy on having a good ACT score, an AA or damn close to one, LOR from a former employer, and kicking ass in A school. I know ill have alot more stuff next fiscal year when ill have some evals, PFA, dual warfare hopefully, etc.

I'm sorry I can't answer much for you on your three questions but I do recommend that despite how unsure you are of your chances you still put a package together and apply. Simply applying for the program will help you to get your foot in the door at your command. My recommendation for you is to route a special request chit requesting to apply for the STA-21 program and requesting assignment of a mentor. This alerts everyone in your chain of command that you are interested in a commision, AND it shows that you recognize this is a difficult process and that you see the value in a mentor. Once your supervisors know your desires they will pay more attention to you and see the hard work you are doing. Of course if you slack off they will see that as well. Get their attention and give 100 percent everyday. Depending on how your command is structured you will need to coordinate either with your Command Career Counselor, your Officer Programs Coordinator, or both. Never accept no for an answer and never be afraid to ask questions. Really what I'm trying to say here is that you should never focus on what you don't have. Focus on the things you do have and sell yourself. Apply every chance you have. This is the mistake I made. I didn't think I was competitive so I didn't apply. Now I am 25 and can only apply with a waiver. Don't let opportunities pass you by. Seize them.

twidget

Deskaholic
Yes, you can apply while at sea. As long as your app is mailed by the deadline you'll be fine.

You need to let your chain of command as soon as possible that you want to apply. You probably won't have to worry about setting up interviews. Most commands that large have a process published to let all applicants know the timeline and the steps to apply. Once they know how many applicants are applying for each designator, they set up the schedule of officers to conduct interviews for each program.

Beefalo

Sayre why cant you apply without a waiver? I thought the cutoff was 27. I am 22 right now.

Twidget I guess when I check onboard and my LPO, chief, or whoever asks me what my goals are I will def tell it them. Do you think that would be wise? After I get my basic quals out of the way my 3 main goals are STA-21, ESWS, EAWS.

Thinking about enrolling in one college class in the meantime. I really want to finish up my AA ASAP.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
Beefalo said:
Sayre why cant you apply without a waiver? I thought the cutoff was 27. I am 22 right now.

The STA-21 age cutoffs are based upon age at time of commissioning. My hubby had to get a waiver, he was 25 when he was selected.