• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Junior in High School, Interested in Career as Fighter Pilot.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I landed on my second flight in the syllabus, i looked really nervous and I guess my instructor thought he'd be funny and something to the effect of " I don't feel like landing today so if you wanna make it home tonight you're gonna have to do it " . I was only 16 and that convinced me that we were gonna die but once I did it ( with a little help from him ) I became much more confident, don't worry about it too much!

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I saw a set of yoke and pedals on ebay for about $75.00. If I didn't have a V8 and gas wasn't so expensive I would've bought it. I just want to practice landing to get a feel for it. Was supposed to land today but it was way too gusty...flew a Cessna 152 last time. I'm pretty tall so decided to go with the 172 for this flight. Made a huge difference.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have both, that's their older models (non-USB). Go with USB if you can.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Ah. I noticed I don't even have the other port on my computer. Will have to be USB. Just need to find the best deal.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good choice Matt. I know it's a lot of money, especially for someone in high school, but you won't be sorry. They will last a lifetime. I still have my CH Flight Stick from when I was in 6th grade, it still works (I'm 24 now, if that helps the time reference).

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I really think these will help me get some "air time" in without actually having to fly.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Landed today, wasn't hard at all but was definitely much more fast-paced than the rest of the flight was.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Matt Martin said:
Landed today, wasn't hard at all but was definitely much more fast-paced than the rest of the flight was.

congrats, just make sure you keep your eye out for other planes on final or else.....

Mating2.jpg

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Got the yoke and pedals a few days ago. They are damn awesome and I spend way more time on simulations now. Thinking about getting Falcon 4.0 Allied Force, anyone know if this is good?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Matt Martin said:
Being a Marine Pilot does seem a bit more realistic. I thought about it but prior to researching did not even know the Marines had fighter jets. I think I'll go to the marineofficer.com website and check it out. The main thing my mom is trying to tell me is that a recruiter will basically say anything to get you to join.

Matt

Piece of advice (and I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before)-- don't choose to join the Marine Corps because you want to fly fighters... or the Navy for that matter. Join the USMC because you think that being a United States Marine would be the thrill of your life, regardless of what job you get within the Corps.

The odds of getting a slot as a fighter pilot in either service are very slim. There's so many hoops to jump through between your position and getting into the cockpit of an F-18... whether academic or medical... that you need to realistically assess your possibilities

If BUMED screws you over and tells you to be an NFO, a SWO, or a Marine infantry officer, will you still be happy? If you make it to flight school and "the needs of the service" dictate nobody from your class, no matter the grades, will fly jets-- will you be happy flying helicopters, P-3s, or C-2s?

Just a few things to think about.