• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Junior in High School, Interested in Career as Fighter Pilot.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I'm currently looking into a private pilot's license. The school/airfield (which is about a 30 minute drive from my house) is "141 Qualified". I've heard of 61 and 141 qualification and know it has something to do with how the class follows the FAA syllabus. Can someone elaborate further on what this means?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
And you have to do much, if not all, of your own "leg work". No one is going to do it for you.

Contact the professionals .....
Schnugg said:
You need to do some homework and seek out the answers to your questions, grasshopper.

Schnugg has got it --- his USNA tour taught him much about young people. Many of the rest of you are "enablers". You are humming to this kid's tune. Help is one thing, but cyber "jumping" in a vain attempt to be kinder, gentler every time he asks another "question" is quite another thing. You are "enabling" his doing nothing for himself.

If ... and that's a big "if", in my opinion, from what I've seen on this thread --- if this kid is EVER going to become officer material --- he needs to start doing "something" on his own instead of punching keys on a computer keyboard at every whim ... officers don't do that. And neither do those with leadership potential.

For God's sake. He can't even figure out what Part 141 is ... ?? Gimme a break ...

Life is hard. So is the military. ...

Ouch ... I'm such a mean 'old man. Reality check time, boys.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Schnugg has got it --- his USNA tour taught him much about young people. Many of the rest of you are "enablers". You are humming to this kid's tune. Help is one thing, but cyber "jumping" in a vain attempt to be kinder, gentler every time he asks another "question" is quite another thing. You are "enabling" his doing nothing for himself.

If ... and that's a big "if", in my opinion, from what I've seen on this thread --- if this kid is EVER going to become officer material --- he needs to start doing "something" on his own instead of punching keys on a computer keyboard at every whim ... officers don't do that. And neither do those with leadership potential.

For God's sake. He can't even figure out what Part 141 is ... ?? Gimme a break ...

Life is hard. So is the military. ...

Ouch ... I'm such a mean 'old man. Reality check time, boys.

I hear ya... And I appreciate the criticism as I cannot improve without it.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Matt Martin said:

You are such a dilligantly ambitious young man. You remind me of myself when I was your age. Our navy needs more strong willed, hard working folks like you. :icon_wink

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Matt Martin said:
Reverse psychology doesn't work on A4's. He's likely to pull out the double double reverse reverse psychology and then everyone is going to be confused.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Reverse psychology doesn't work on A4's. He's likely to pull out the double double reverse reverse psychology and then everyone is going to be confused.

You got me laughing on that one, Steve. Wish I could give you Rep.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Just went on my first introductory flight at flight school. It was probably one of the most incredible experiences ever. Feeling so free and seeing familiar places from above. Needless to say; DAMN ****ING AWESOME.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Keep it up martin, I remember having 1,000,000 questions when I first started working on becoming a pilot too. The internet can be a valuable thing, but keep your sources diverse... "face time" works wonders for opening doors in aviation.

Hey AllAmerican, what's keeping you from giving out rep points? Seems like you say "I would if I could" a lot.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
sevenhelmet said:
Hey AllAmerican, what's keeping you from giving out rep points? Seems like you say "I would if I could" a lot.

It's the Reputation Point System. I give some out to one person because I'm a nice guy and then when that person posts something of merit again I can't give any Rep to them because you have to give rep out to 20 people before you give it to the same person twice. It's kind of convoluted. Steve or John can explain it better than I can. The whole damn system is un-American, I should be able to give rep out to whomever I want when I want.:D

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Hey Matt, if you really want to be a "fighter pilot", you have to keep in mind that you can't just focus on academics. I’m not the greatest at school, but the “monkey” skills are there. Go play some sports and video games (the fast paced ones). Anything that you do to build your hand-eye coordination will help to separate you from the others. :)

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Oh believe me, I play enough fast paced video games, way too many. Work out and run every day, trying to mix it up. I am not so great when it comes to academics either but I just have to study and do well on the tests and hope for the best. That was amazing to actually fly. I'm not content with just sitting here, I wanna be back up there.

af_rotc

Banned
Go Air Force! I'll step away now as the navy squids slam me.

IN all seriousness, try rotc whether it is NROTC or AFROTC. Since your dad was a major I would think he'd know a lot on the subject. Talk with him more about it. If ROTC doesn't seem the part, then do OCS/OTS.