• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Junior in High School, Interested in Career as Fighter Pilot.

grnweenie

Just a thought...here at Illinois, they have tuition waivers for NROTC students that aren't on a scholarship. Other schools in other states may have it too. You can apply for it after your first semster granted you got good grades. You dont have to have a scholarship to participate.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Just finished my first actual "lesson". It was a doozie. Learning the turns and trying to get my banks just right. He said I was doing great but need to work on flying better with one hand. If any of you have been stationed at Whidbey I'm flying from Paine and flew over Camano Island and the whole time was over Northern Puget Sound (if you know the area). Pretty amazing view of the Sound. What was the first flight for some of you guys like?

Superclub

pilot
I am not in the Navy yet, only a senior in HS, but I have about fifteen hours logged and my first flight was the same way. Trust me it only gets better, as you get more comfortable in the plane and start taking control on takeoffs and landings, just started practicing doing everything to prepare for first solo, flying is awesome

Here is another tip of advice, once you start getting into the heavy more dense stuff that requires alot of memorization (vx, vy, vso, definitions stuff like that) try anything that will help associate certain things with those definitions. Also, do not be afraid to change flight instructors if you do not feel comfortable, I know you probably do not get that luxury when you get into any of the military flight schools, it makes a big difference if your flight instructor knows how to approach certain things and knows the best way to get a student to grasp a concept...and cares about the student

Are you at a part 61 or part 141 school? I think one of them requires college classes or something, not sure on that though. But it might make a difference in the instructors. I think that maybe part 61 schools might have more experienced instructors, because the part 141 schools..(or atleast the one im at) are just recent college grads waiting to get hired by a corporate or airline business..and for that matter...are only in the CFI business for the hours...and aren't really into getting the student's license. This may not be true at all though. Flying is alot of fun, I will admit that..I hope it gets more fun when I can go out on some pleasure flights...and not have to deal with the pressures of learning and flying at the same time :)

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I'm at a Part 141 school. Its a place thats designated for lessons and my Instructor is their to do just that. He's teaching me how to get in the habit of doing certain things and not doing others. So far, he really seems like he cares but It's only been two lessons so we'll see.

vanity

Zoomie
I got my private at a part 61 school in the Chicago area. My instructor was a former Air Force instructor and has over 30 years of flyign experience. Was a nice guy, he didnt charge me for any ground time :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Matt Martin said:
He's teaching me how to get in the habit of doing certain things and not doing others. So far, he really seems like he cares but It's only been two lessons so we'll see.

Bad habits can kill you. He doesn't want to see you die. :)

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I'm pretty damn nervous to land. I know it won't be for quite some time but I'm unsure as to its difficulty. When my instructor lands, its like nothing to him and he hasn't mentioned it being particularly difficult. Am I making a big deal out of something small?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Matt Martin said:
I'm pretty damn nervous to land. I know it won't be for quite some time but I'm unsure as to its difficulty. When my instructor lands, its like nothing to him and he hasn't mentioned it being particularly difficult. Am I making a big deal out of something small?

Im sure he has done 100's of landings so it will come natural to him. It will just take time and practice to get use to it and good at it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Matt Martin said:

It'll come sooner than you think. I landed the plane on my first flight lesson. Some instructors wait a lesson or two. It just depends.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pilot_man said:
Hey Matt, if you really want to be a "fighter pilot", you have to keep in mind that you can't just focus on academics. I’m not the greatest at school, but the “monkey” skills are there. Go play some sports and video games (the fast paced ones). Anything that you do to build your hand-eye coordination will help to separate you from the others. :)

Make some of those sports contact type....need team building and making decisions under pressure that may result in pain.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
It'll come sooner than you think. I landed the plane on my first flight lesson. Some instructors wait a lesson or two. It just depends.

First time, eh? How'd you do? I'm reading up on it in my little manual. Trying to memorize the steps so as to impress. :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Matt Martin said:
First time, eh? How'd you do? I'm reading up on it in my little manual. Trying to memorize the steps so as to impress. :)

I was a Microsoft Flight Simulator junkie back then (1994), so it came somewhat natural. Of course I was getting coaching and some stick riding from the instructor, but it was cool. It wasn't a greaser by any means, but I kinda sorta knew what it should look like.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Ah, just reinstalled FS. How do they simulate pedals? Gonna have to borrow a joystick from a friend as mine sucks.