• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June 2010 Boards

A

AlexSmart

I second that. It sounds to me like he has the idea that you want to take a shot at aviation because it sounded like something cool to do after college. Maybe asking the direct question or asking to speak with his supervisor would be convincing enough for him. When I first met with my OR, I made it abundantly clear that the first goal of mine was to get a commission, however, that I have also been interesting and studying Naval aviation from a very young age and it what I have been planning as a career for a long time.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Alex makes an excellent point. My OR made it clear to me that I should want to be a Naval officer, first and foremost. I completely agree with her assessment, and I know that just because I apply for an aviation position, that doesn't mean I'll always be flying. If you can tell your OR that much, professionally, and politely, and they still tell you not to apply for aviation, then I would say it's time to move up the chain of command.

nate_j52

here i go again, third time, hopefully my app will make it to the board this time

28/ M
SNA/NFO/SWO
55 6/7/7
3.2 General studies (poli sci concentration)
4 semesters of grad school for MBA
Prior service, Far east Sailor, out ouf 3 years and something at my command i have half that at sea, in a foward deployed frontline Electronic attack squadron, AD2 1999-2003 EA-6B powerplants and fuel systems, flight deck trouble shooter USS Kitty Hawk, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. 8 months Active reserves P-3's (reserve sucks)
Two letters of commendation from CO
almost 2 years off shore engineering position.
No bad behaviour, no medical issues, excellent vision.
LOR's from old C.O whos currently Capt. CAG,
LtCdr pilot from my old squadron,
Chief Scientist Naval Oceanographic center,
employer,
Engineer whos known me since i was 13
PADI diver, boy scout, run 4,5 times a week etc.

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
Alex makes an excellent point. My OR made it clear to me that I should want to be a Naval officer, first and foremost. I completely agree with her assessment, and I know that just because I apply for an aviation position, that doesn't mean I'll always be flying. If you can tell your OR that much, professionally, and politely, and they still tell you not to apply for aviation, then I would say it's time to move up the chain of command.

Believe me I want to be an officer above all, but my primary career choice is aviation. I guess I'll have to run it from him to his CO. My OR is the OIC of the office. I just don't want to have to go that high in the CoC just for one person's app. Thanks to all for the advice so far though. Oh and being a pilot has been a dream since childhood. I was born and raised in Meridian so I was surrounded by Naval Aviation.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
I guess I'll throw ma stats up (using Nate's as a template heh)

23 / M
SNA/NFO
7/7/6 59
3.112 BS in Geography, GIS
Non-Prior
Extra Currics: VP of my fraternity, VP of my university's Interfraternity Council, multiple scholarships, lots of volunteer time
Internship with Defense Contractor in DC (not sure if this will help)
LORs:
- Interviews with 3 Naval Officers from my University's NROTC
- Former state Treasurer, Senior Official in the Reagen admin., US Department of Health & Human Services, President of my fraternity's Alumni Board
- CEO/Owner of the contracting firm I worked for. Family friend, has known me for a very long time
- High School wrestling coach, very colorful man, hopefully he writes something good!
- Shining references from bosses (I hope)

Cons; A few traffic tickets and I was truthful about my very limited drug history (occurred first semester of college).
--------

Quick questions, if someone doesn't mind answering about LORs:
-Are high school teachers OK for LORs? My wrestling coach has known me for about 10 years and he would be a great source, but it seems like most people here stick to college professors.
-I've had all the people who wrote me LORs send them directly to my recruiter, so I have no idea what they said. Is this SOP?

Thanks everyone and good luck!

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Max,

You should be fine requesting your HS teacher and coach write a letter of recommendation for you, especially if he has known you for ten years. I'm sure he would be an excellent character reference.

Also, my recruiter told me the same thing about the letters of recommendation going straight to the recruiter, so I don't believe you're being led on.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
In other news, I just finished with the letters of recommendation and the officer interviews.

Of the three letters of recommendation, two are from Captains in the Army, and one is from a retired Army pilot. One of the downsides of being in the Army, all of the pilots and officers I know are Army :)
The two Captains have both been my commanding officer, so they had good things to say. The pilot is my academic advisor, and a professor whom I've known for 9 years.

The two officer interviews, which were done by an LCDR and a CDR went very well, and I hope their letters will reflect as such.

I still have to submit my ACT scores, and then ought to be set.

Am I running behind, or is everyone else working on their packets still?

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
In other news, I just finished with the letters of recommendation and the officer interviews.

Of the three letters of recommendation, two are from Captains in the Army, and one is from a retired Army pilot. One of the downsides of being in the Army, all of the pilots and officers I know are Army :)
The two Captains have both been my commanding officer, so they had good things to say. The pilot is my academic advisor, and a professor whom I've known for 9 years.

The two officer interviews, which were done by an LCDR and a CDR went very well, and I hope their letters will reflect as such.

I still have to submit my ACT scores, and then ought to be set.

Am I running behind, or is everyone else working on their packets still?

Thanks eas.

My package is done. I might send in a new Moto-Statement, but otherwise I am completely done. I have enough letters of rec, but I might be getting one or two bonus letters if they can get to my recruiter before the 20th.

But it terms of actual paperwork, I have already signed everything.

Daniel M

Applying for BDCP in the June Board
21 y/o M
Pilot/Intel/Supply
59 6/6/5
Majoring in B.S. Criminal Justice, currently have a 3.49 and have been on the dean's list for four straight semesters
I have worked at a summer camp for the past three years as a counselor, canoeing and archery instructor
My LOR came from the camp director of aforementioned camp, a volunteer I have worked closely with from this camp and a college CJ professor

Does anyone know the approximate acceptance rate opf BDCP applicants? The majority of board applicants seem to be those already out of college and I was just wondering the kind of competition I'm going up against. If they're anything close to citadel1289, I'm worried.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Hey Daniel,

I'm not sure about the average acceptance rate, but I do know that the statistics are out there for the average ASTB scores for those selected. My OR mentioned that the averages were 7/7/7 (actually 7. something for each) and 60. So, you may want to improve your ASTB scores to be more competitive, but aside from that, your GPA looks good. Did you interview or have any letters of reference from any commissioned officers or military aviators? That could significantly help your package.

Also, since you're also applying for Intel and Supply, there is a greater chance of you being picked up for those too. So, I wouldn't worry too much. Your OAR is fairly competitive, I would just see about getting another letter of recommendation.

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
initially thought I would be seen by the April Boards but I didn't quite get all my paperwork in. Good luck to everyone!

20/M non-prior
SNA
ASTB: 9/9/9/68
GPA: 3.02 - University of Illinois, Aerospace Engineering
SAT: 1430
ACT: 33

Stuff I do in college:
University of Illinois Rube Goldberg Team - Treasurer (placed 2nd in national competition in 2009)
University of Illinois Marching Illini Drumline - Snare
AIAA (Illinois Chapter)

Stuff I did in HS:
Men's Tennis - 3 years Captain 1 year
Men's Cross Country - 3 years
HS Drumline - 4yrs Captain 2yrs

Other Stuff:
Club Ultimate Frisbee - Captain 3yrs
Church Acolyte Team - 9yrs
BSA - Eagle Scout
Certified Scuba Diver

Employment:
Head Lifeguard at a local pool saving small children from drowning

LOR's
0-7 Retired Rear Admiral (family friend)
0-6
0-6
0-5

ryan1234

I do get what you're saying, but what do I do if he is the only OR in my area and refuses to put my app through? I mean he just flat out won't process it if I put aviation on my app. He told me he wouldn't.

That is either complete bull$hit or just mostly bull$hit... seriously, if someone says they're just 'flat out' not going process the app if you put aviation on it. F.T.S.
Time to move on to someone that will process your request. If you truly have wanted to be a pilot... have you been applying to ANG units, etc.? Are you completely medically qualified?

If it's really been your goal since day one.... don't let anyone stop you... even the 'OIC - OR' ...if you're physically and mentally qualified just keep fighting for it. Screw anyone who says otherwise. It's your future... you need to take control of it.

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
So we're looking at around June 29th for board results correct? Based on the previous months..

And thx gstapes, good luck!