• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

June 2010 Boards

james23

James, after originally taking my ASTB test (14th December 2009) I was measured and found to not fall into Navy regulations. I am 5'9 and at the time I weighed 215 lbs. My waist (around the naval) was around 40 inches and my neck was around 16 (like you, I exercise quite a bit and am built like an amateur wrestler). I remember complaining to one of my LORs (Army O-6) but he would have none of it and told me, "If you want to be an officer, you'll find a way to lose the weight." So, I changed my diet and started consuming a larger amount of veggies during all meals and am currently down to 195 lbs. (after cutting some water weight: I probably look like an idiot with a sauna suite, sweat shirt, and winter jacket on doing a three mile walk around the neighborhood on a 80 degree sunny day) and my waist is now 35 inches around the naval with a 16 inch neck. 185 lbs is still my goal in the long run, but it will take some more time to get there. If you want to be an officer, you'll find a way to fall under regulations as well. Will it suck? Probably. But if you want it, you'll find a way.
You can always measure yourself by using this calculator:
http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
To correctly measure yourself, watch the videos here (look at the demonstration videos near the bottom):
http://www.ocs.navy.mil/pt.asp

p.s. It should be noted I became extremely lazy after graduating (May 2009). I wasn't motivated to work-out, couldn't afford my BJJ/Muay Thai classes anymore, and ate like a pig. By the beginning of September 2009 I had blimped up to 240 lbs.

Thanks a lot! I used to wrestle in high school so I should be able to lose weight easier! I just bulked up by eating proteins and working out. So after the ASTB, my OR will probably measure me? Hrmm. I got a month then to lose some weight!

james23

James, after originally taking my ASTB test (14th December 2009) I was measured and found to not fall into Navy regulations. I am 5'9 and at the time I weighed 215 lbs. My waist (around the naval) was around 40 inches and my neck was around 16 (like you, I exercise quite a bit and am built like an amateur wrestler). I remember complaining to one of my LORs (Army O-6) but he would have none of it and told me, "If you want to be an officer, you'll find a way to lose the weight." So, I changed my diet and started consuming a larger amount of veggies during all meals and am currently down to 195 lbs. (after cutting some water weight: I probably look like an idiot with a sauna suite, sweat shirt, and winter jacket on doing a three mile walk around the neighborhood on a 80 degree sunny day) and my waist is now 35 inches around the naval with a 16 inch neck. 185 lbs is still my goal in the long run, but it will take some more time to get there. If you want to be an officer, you'll find a way to fall under regulations as well. Will it suck? Probably. But if you want it, you'll find a way.
You can always measure yourself by using this calculator:
http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
To correctly measure yourself, watch the videos here (look at the demonstration videos near the bottom):
http://www.ocs.navy.mil/pt.asp

p.s. It should be noted I became extremely lazy after graduating (May 2009). I wasn't motivated to work-out, couldn't afford my BJJ/Muay Thai classes anymore, and ate like a pig. By the beginning of September 2009 I had blimped up to 240 lbs.

Thanks for all the great info! so just to confirm, after I take my ASTB, my OR will measure me or will they measure me at MEPS? either way, I will lose some more weight!

boogerbrain

Thanks a lot! I used to wrestle in high school so I should be able to lose weight easier! I just bulked up by eating proteins and working out. So after the ASTB, my OR will probably measure me? Hrmm. I got a month then to lose some weight!

I was measured after my (pathetic) ASTB test (retaking it again next month, and am actually studying this time), but I don't know if you will be measured that day or not. My big thing isn't getting taped anymore, but getting my blood pressure taken. I get a little anxious (same feeling when someone is watching you urinate) when someone is just sitting there looking at me while my blood pressure is being tested. When I self-test myself at the grocery store, on average my BP is 115/70; when the corpsman tests me, around 138/75 lol.

james23

I was measured after my (pathetic) ASTB test (retaking it again next month, and am actually studying this time), but I don't know if you will be measured that day or not. My big thing isn't getting taped anymore, but getting my blood pressure taken. I get a little anxious (same feeling when someone is watching you urinate) when someone is just sitting there looking at me while my blood pressure is being tested. When I self-test myself at the grocery store, on average my BP is 115/70; when the corpsman tests me, around 138/75 lol.

crap, I have to worry about that too... what is the passing blood pressure rate? I should test at the store too.. errr so much to do haha, thanks again for all the help man

boogerbrain

crap, I have to worry about that too... what is the passing blood pressure rate? I should test at the store too.. errr so much to do haha, thanks again for all the help man

Well, the best thing to do is be prepared. I think anything over 140/90 will disqualify you. You get tested a few times if you can't calm down (nothing worse than a Corpsman saying, "You nervous? Just relax man." When the one testing me told me that I wanted to scream, "I'M F*CKING TRYING!") I don't know what they do at MEPS (I didn't do MEPS, I did my physical and blood work at National Navy Medical Center in Maryland), so if you are going through MEPS I really can't comment on the procedure. You have a month until your ASTB test, and probably a little longer until your physical. Make use of your local grocery store's BP self-test (go a few times a week; something I wish I did before I was tested since I nearly failed). Mess around and find ways which make relax and then when you're tested by the Navy, you should pass with no problem.
Also, concerning body fat I think males need to be under 24%.

bwh06b

FS SNA
Thanks for all the great info! so just to confirm, after I take my ASTB, my OR will measure me or will they measure me at MEPS? either way, I will lose some more weight!

They are going to measure you only if you are above the maximum weight for your height, which you have said is 201 pounds. So, as long as you are below that weight you shouldn't get taped as far as I can tell.

boogerbrain

They are going to measure you only if you are above the maximum weight for your height, which you have said is 201 pounds. So, as long as you are below that weight you shouldn't get taped as far as I can tell.

Whoops, should have read james23 post more carefully. I think bwh06b is right, if you are under the max weight for your height you don't have to worry about getting measured.

nate_j52

I would like to know exactly what the age requirements and limitations are for SNA. I thought cut off was 26 and prior enlisted get a 4 year waiver, but my friend told me that they disqualified him from SNA as he wouldnt be commisioned by 29. My OR tells me not to worry that im fine but i dunno, im 28 and will be 29 in oct. If i prorec in june, i would assume i would not be going to OCS in august, if i do, then ill be commisioned a week before turning 29...Anyine know anything about this?

BuckWild

Advanced - VT-35
I would like to know exactly what the age requirements and limitations are for SNA. I thought cut off was 26 and prior enlisted get a 4 year waiver, but my friend told me that they disqualified him from SNA as he wouldnt be commisioned by 29. My OR tells me not to worry that im fine but i dunno, im 28 and will be 29 in oct. If i prorec in june, i would assume i would not be going to OCS in august, if i do, then ill be commisioned a week before turning 29...Anyine know anything about this?

SNA age cutoff is 27 and 29 for those with prior enlisted time. The age is based when you are commissioned.

nate_j52

damn. Ill be cutting it real close. you receive your commission upon graduation from OCS, i might be over by a few weeks, wonder if thats waiverable.

james23

Wow, thanks guys for all the great info concerning weight/age/blood pressure. Very useful stuff! I will definitely keep checking my body stats before going in for the real thing.

Best,
James

nate_j52

Im reassured that im fine age wise, even though i would turn 29 two weeks before being commissioned, we shall c

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Im reassured that im fine age wise, even though i would turn 29 two weeks before being commissioned, we shall c

Won't you be screwed if you get held back though? That's a big gamble on their part.

BuckWild

Advanced - VT-35

Wow that is cutting it close. Control the things you can control and let the others fall where they fall. Best of luck to you!