• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jun 30 OCS date

Tom

pilot
Contributor
For those who are still confused about OCS dates, the LAST OCS class in Pensacola begins 1 July, with a graduation date of 21 Sept. Your orders will tell you to report the Friday or Saturday before (DO IT!), but you just get your orders stamped & then they tell you to come back Sunday morning to actually begin training. Usually there is a new class starting every two or three weeks, but due to the move to RI there will be a month and a half gap between the beginning of the last P-cola class and the first Newport class (scheduled to begin 19 Aug). There will already be OCS classes training in RI by the time the last P-cola class graduates, so OCS accessions won't come to a complete halt as some have suggested. If anyone is told they have a report date between 1 July and 19 August, expect that to be revised since there aren't any classes starting during that time.
Everyone who I have ever talked to about checking into OCS said to do it about 10 on the Sunday. Why show up early?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
kseverance said:
MY husband was selected for NFO and changed to pilot and now we have to move and have a house we purchased that we have no choice but to rent/sell/ lease option to buy.
It is a nice house, close to base! It is Available July 1st, pets welcome, rent $1,400 but can lower it if Allotment set up, 3 bed 2 bath 2 car garage, shed, huge yard for dogs, kids to play a pool or any toys, the lot is .48 so it is big! pull down attic stairs, washer and dryer hook ups, dishwasher, stove, fridge all that is missing is YOU.
We are really in need to get this rented or sold, I know BAH sucks here atleast for us it does but if you plan to be here for a few years you can take over the mortgage and benefit from your rent.
Please email me if you want more information kpaytes@hotmail.com it is also listed uneder militaryfsbo.com and on craigslist both for rent or for sale.
I could use all the help to get this rented as I do not want my husband to move to Milton and my son an I have to stay in Pensacola because we do not have a renter.
Thanks
You probably want to post this in the house section. Almost everyone reading this thread is going to be in OCS at the time you mentioned.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Everyone who I have ever talked to about checking into OCS said to do it about 10 on the Sunday. Why show up early?

I'm not positive about the wording, but I think the NET and NLT times for checking in are on the saturday. If I were you, I'd check in the times your orders say to. If that is on saturday, do it. If it is saturday to sunday, then cool deal. Just....the whole following orders thing. Probably the first thing we need to learn as OCs. :icon_wink

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
10AM on Sunday is the way to go from everyone i've talked to. That's what time i'll be there (on the 24th)

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I'm not positive about the wording, but I think the NET and NLT times for checking in are on the saturday. If I were you, I'd check in the times your orders say to. If that is on saturday, do it. If it is saturday to sunday, then cool deal. Just....the whole following orders thing. Probably the first thing we need to learn as OCs. :icon_wink
I can read my orders. It leaves a window from Saturday to Sunday. Everyone says show up at 10 on Sunday while flynavyp3 says show up Saturday. I am curious why.

Bink

I can read my orders. It leaves a window from Saturday to Sunday. Everyone says show up at 10 on Sunday while flynavyp3 says show up Saturday. I am curious why.
On my orders (June 9) it says to be there SAT and SUN so from what I understand you need to go in on Saturday to get your orders stamped and then show up on Sunday for OCS to start.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
On my orders (June 9) it says to be there SAT and SUN so from what I understand you need to go in on Saturday to get your orders stamped and then show up on Sunday for OCS to start.
3 recruiters, 4 ensigns and my processor have all told me that you want to check in at 10am on Sunday. The orders show NET (no earlier than) and NLT (no later than) times. This means that you can show up anytime in between that window.

red1323

From what I understand, it's a good idea to get your orders stamped as early as possible so you can find and rectify any paperwork mistakes. You are then free to spend Sat Night at the BOQ and show up any time Sunday from 0700 to 1100, with 1000 being the most commonly reccomended time. Any recent grads have a thought on this?

flynavyp3

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, 'cause it looks like this check in thing continues to be an issue. OKAY, the final scoop on checking in; CHECK IN WHEN YOUR ORDERS TELL YOU TO! Yes, your orders will probably give you a window of time for checking in (NET..., NLT...), but the bottom line is be sure you obey what you're told in writing. Ito doesn't matter that training doesn't begin until Sunday; if your orders tell you to check in earlier than Sunday morning (i.e. Saturday or even Friday) then you better frickin' well obey your written orders and check in when it tells you to. As I said before, if you check in early, they just stamp your orders and tell you to come back on Sunday, but at least the stamp will prove in writing that you complied with your orders. DON'T blow off the dates/times on your orders just because some post on Air Warriors told you to come in on Sunday. The last I checked, PCS orders were signed by a Rear Admiral, so even if your LT recruiter tells you to show up Sunday morning, be sure you are complying with what's in writing since that's the higher authority. There are very few ways to start off your naval career any WORSE than blowing off written orders from an Admiral.
Regarding red1323's question about Candidate Officer duties for the final class, that is still waiting to be determined. There was some talk about cutting it short & graduating the class early, but that's not going to happen. Best odds are that you will get farmed out to help in various places around the base, but once again that's a guess & not solid fact.

nugget81

pilot
Wow, you guys are really nuking this whole check-in thing, which is by far the easiest thing you'll do at OCS. After all, you just need to show up with the stuff you need to train with. However, Tom is right about the NET and NLT times...go by those. Some priors will have orders that tell them to check in earlier...again go by the times listed in the orders. It is as simple as getting a stamp on your orders and showing up again on Sunday morning. Good luck and stop nuking it....

flynavyp3

One more word for incoming candidates for class 20-07 (beginning 01 JUL): just in case you haven't, start PT'ing NOW! Even if you don't have written orders yet, you still only have one month to get get ready physically, so if you play the waiting game (I'll start running when I know for sure) you'll break as soon as you get here. Biggest trends (for physical training):
1. Out of limits for bodyfat. Hey, if you're heavy, you know it. Don't live in denial, just get on a diet and lose it!
2. Failing the in-PFA (occasional failure for not enough push-ups or curl-ups, but usually it's the run). PRACTICE! You should be running a 1.5 mile course at least once a week to time yourself, and that's on top of your regular running routine of 2-3 miles, 3-4 times a week. Most people (even if they come from a hot climate already) drop 15-20 seconds off their run time just due to Pensacola's heat & humidity, coupled with the pace at which the entire PFA is administered (there is little rest time between events, so you very well may still be catching your breath from push-ups or curl-ups when it's time to run) . If you come from a cooler or drier climate you will probably lose even more time, so be sure you are not just scraping by.
3. Shin splints. The best way to avoid shin splints is to get your legs conditioned to running before you get here. Although there are a few things you can do to try to cope with it, the only way to actually heal shin splints is to rest, i.e. stop running for a while. If you can't run for several days then you are not keeping up with the class's scheduled training and you will be rolled out of the class. 'Nuff said.
4. Overtraining. Lately several students have found themselves at the emergency room or even admitted to the hospital for conditions resulting from overwork. It's not that the program has suddenly gotten harder, it's because some people didn't prepare physically until they got the word they were coming, and for a few people that only gave them a few days notice. When they arrived at OCS and were pushed at the normal pace of training, their bodies couldn't handle the sudden, high demand of exertion which resulted in their trip to the hospital.

As you can probably figure out, if this is the last class for OCS in Pensacola, there aren't too many options for you if you roll out of the class. There has been some discussion about how failures will be handled during the course of training, and while nothing has been finalized yet there has already been talk of how many students the Navy will be willing to move to RI and how many will simply be sent home. The best thing you can do right now is begin preparing yourself physically and mentally. Actually, the physical part is even more important to start early, because you can probably memorize everything you need to know in a week or two of intense concentration, but your body can only strengthen itself a little bit each day; it needs to spool up time in order to be properly prepared.

Good luck in your preparations. If you have any questions you can send me a message here (although I don't always check) or you can contact OCS and ask for your class officer.

At least our class number won't be hard to forget :)

Just to clarify, the minimum passing score for the in-PRT is a Satisfactory Medium, correct? That is a 13:15 on the run, 42 pushups and 50 situps. This is per this website: http://www.nsgreatlakes.navy.mil/otcp/ocs/physical_training.htm

Obviously the goal should be to do much better than this, but the minimum passing score is what is most important in the end I think.

Thanks for the great info!

red1323

I'm only memorizing the max numbers and shooting for those. Expect to perform worse than you do in training due to more rigorous push up/curl up standards, the heat and humidity, and being in an unfamiliar environment. I have heard that some of the people grading your in-pft are sticklers for form and as flynavy mentioned, the consequences for rolling back from our class are more severe than in other classes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the opportunity to sit on my arse for a couple of months, and if you hit the mins you will pass. In my experience however, the psychological advantage you gain by telling yourself that the mins are at least a couple of notches above what you actually have to do is worth the extra sweat and tears.

The link you have is correct to the best of my knowledge (matches the numbers for the PFT I just had) Just out of curiousity, don't you have to score/maintain at least a good medium for BDCP??

Have fun with your last month of freedom, I'll see you soon enough :) Hopefully we'll be the class that no one (or at least no one from AW) rolls back!