• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jump wings?

Grant

[/B]
450vauy8.jpg

The gentleman in the lower left corner has slight resemblance to Elvis...

EDIT: I posted before catching the part about him having passed away. I apologize, no disrespect or distaste intended.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Freefall at the academy and freefall at Yuma are two way different things...

NSW has been doing their own freefall program for a little while now. Speeds up the process and allows them to get their demands met... All from the comfort of home. There is a contractor company that runs the program out there in San Diego. They have a website if you feel like googling it. Their syllabus is online and it is VERY similar to the civilian syllabus.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, except for that combat equipment, O2, night formation jump stuff...

Yes sir, I didn't mean to imply that the course was the same as a civilian one, but on their website they state that the first 7 jumps of their freefall course are the same as a civilian AFF course. I didn't mean to agitate the resident SEAL.

For those interested heres their website:
www.tacairops.com

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Yeah, except for that combat equipment, O2, night formation jump stuff...

A lot of the harness equipment they use is based off the equipment used for tandem parachuting, Sunpath does alot of the military work... they also make the most popular sport rig - The Javelin. O2? Done that, it's expensive, but civilians do run high altitude jumps. I have one from 33k. Night formation? I have a night formation onto the beach @ the Florabama. Night formation jumps are a requirement for our D license. It's not combat loaded out of a c-130 in the middle of the night... but it's not a joke either.

Boats

A lot of the harness equipment they use is based off the equipment used for tandem parachuting, Sunpath does alot of the military work... they also make the most popular sport rig - The Javelin. O2? Done that, it's expensive, but civilians do run high altitude jumps. I have one from 33k. Night formation? I have a night formation onto the beach @ the Florabama. Night formation jumps are a requirement for our D license. It's not combat loaded out of a c-130 in the middle of the night... but it's not a joke either.

Regardless of the syllabus very few civilian schools compare in degree of difficulty to their military counterparts. The knowledge may be the same but Big Boy rules apply and a simulated combat jump is not the same as a bama jump. If you want to be high speed more power to you but the school Xmid is talking about has their hands full getting the people who need it qualified. If your a-pool time is that long go to Ranger school. Supposedly one of the best small unit leadership schools and you get a fancy tab that the Navy probably wont let you wear but the old 5th Fleet Admiral had one and I am sure no one said a word.

Grant

Don't you need jump wings to go?

No, not necessarily.

If you're not jump qual'd but have graduated Ranger School, you get a different identifier on the tail end of your MOS, to indicate that you attended Ranger School as a "leg" aka non-airborne.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Actually, not being jump qualled at Ranger school benefits you greatly, When everyone else jumps into a new training phase, breaking ankles, arms, etc, you get to ride the truck for infil. Greatly enhances your survivability. I think I lost about 30 lbs or so.

Also, in the mid 90's, the west coast Teams sent a bunch of us to Lake Elsinore, CA to get our USPA "B" cards with the intent we could simply challenge the MFF course. It never panned out, and I still went through the full course at Ft Bragg/Yuma. I later taught at Yuma and understood the value of the military course. A little bit of suck puts it into perspective.

The guys that came through with alot of USPA air time had no difficulty flying, but there were alot of air-discipline problems when all you want em' to do is hold a good arch and pull. We actually kicked a few guys out for getting too proactive in the air.

Skydiving is skydiving, the miitary method concentrates much more on the concept of teaching a practical infiltration technique, rather than turning points and canopy relative work.