• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jump wings?

Grant

Interesting photo. I've seen Marine NA's and NFO's with basic parachutist wings, but never Naval personnel.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
a>

These bad boys? If you rate them, you will wear them.

Check your links, they're busted

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Back when I asked, they said it was to dangerous and they didn't want to risk me getting injured. And I had about 300 civilian skydives at the time.

A mass exit from a C-130 & a civilian skydive are two totally different animals. The only things they have in common are the fact that you're jumping from an airplane & using a parachute.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Those look like wash khaki's to me, so I thought you didn't have to wear ribbons with those?
I don't know who the fellow is --- he might be the greatest guy in the world ... BUT ... only the fool-est of the fools wore ribbons on working khakis @ sea.

Even the black shoes eschewed them in the "clean" wardroom ... :)

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Back while we were waiting for API (as "stash ensigns"), we asked for a little help from our ol' CO back at ROTC. He sent this letter requesting jump school for us (myself and another stud). Needless to say, the Navy stamped a big fat REJECTED on it saying that because we weren't from the Academy, we don't get funding for jump school. We responded that we'd pay out of pocket along w/ no-cost orders if they could swing it. Again, denied.

Attachments

• jumpAW.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 83

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Back while we were waiting for API .....requesting jump school .... REJECTED .... Again, denied.
Amazing, especially when you consider that it was not at all uncommon to "fill-in" the 3 weeks prior to or immediately following a summer cruise (8 weeks in itself) for Jump School @ Benning .... during the Vietnam war .... when they -- the Army -- were going pedal to the metal, full speed ahead -- just to keep up with Army requirements and the other service's basic jump qualification needs ...

And who says we're not more efficient today .... ??? :)

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
All 5 of the Marine options @ my unit went just prior to bulldog cruise

Summer of 66 - was that a movie or somthing?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Summer of 66 - was that a movie or somthing?
"Summer of '42" .... one filmatically-gifted individual in one of my squadrons made a move of the '72 cruise -- appropriately titled "Summer of '72" --- Grumman liked it so much they bought it as a PR addition to their stable of visual aids used when promoting their products.

It was professionally done the "hard way" in the pre-digital age, and it was outstanding. Music overlays, radio transmissions, launch, an Alpha Strike, SAM's, an A-7 shootdown, recovery, the whole 9 yards, etc. I don't know how to get a copy today.

The author & cinematographer (left foreground, kneeling), died a few years ago ....

450vauy8.jpg

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
A mass exit from a C-130 & a civilian skydive are two totally different animals. The only things they have in common are the fact that you're jumping from an airplane & using a parachute.

I wasn't trying to go to basic airborne <yawn>... I wanted the freefall school... and they train pretty closely to civilian style. Their gear is all just modified civilian rigs.