• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jump wings?

Grant

Just out of curiousity...

I've never seen Navy personnel wearing Basic Parachutist wings... I've seen the SEAL, EOD, etc folks wearing the gold Naval parachutist wings, which makes sense.

I've read that the criteria for the Naval Parachutist wings is an additional 5 jumps beyond that for the Basic wings...

So my question is, does the Navy officially not disallow Basic wings to be worn?

Or is it simply a practical matter (since its relatively uncommon for Navy folks to go to Airborne school)?

haubby

None
Contributor
Just out of curiousity...

I've never seen Navy personnel wearing Basic Parachutist wings... I've seen the SEAL, EOD, etc folks wearing the gold Naval parachutist wings, which makes sense.

I've read that the criteria for the Naval Parachutist wings is an additional 5 jumps beyond that for the Basic wings...

So my question is, does the Navy officially not disallow Basic wings to be worn?

Or is it simply a practical matter (since its relatively uncommon for Navy folks to go to Airborne school)?

Naval Personnel do attend Jump school and even earn their Jump wings which can include HALO wings also if they attend that school. However naval regulations prohibit the wearing of these devices on our uniforms. The only device authorized for wear in this category is the Naval Parachutist device.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ Wrong....

From the Uniform Regs http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/uregMenu.html

2. Warfare and Other Qualification Insignia

a. Authorized Insignia. The listing below constitutes those breast insignia, alphabetically by category, authorized for wear on the naval uniform. Breast or qualification insignia of other services shall not be worn. Breast or qualification insignia of other nations shall not be worn on the naval uniforms unless specifically authorized by the Secretary of the Navy.

(12) Parachutists Insignia
Naval Parachutist
Basic Parachutist

bInsig_gg.jpg

gg. Basic Parachutist Insignia (PJ). A silver metal pin with an open parachute flanked on either side by wings that curve upward.

bInsig_hh.jpg

hh. Naval Parachutist Insignia (PJ). A gold embroidered or gold metal winged pin with a gold open parachute in the center.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I've seen many naval personnel wearing the basic wings. A lot of mids get them while at the academy. The XO of SERE also had his when I went through (he's a pilot).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
llnick2001 said:
I've seen many naval personnel wearing the basic wings. A lot of mids get them while at the academy.

...or at Ga Tech like "Bio" (r) vvvv. "Jaws" also got his at GT, but wasn't wearing them that day

BIO.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, at the Academy there's two different types of wings you can get: Air Force Academy jump wings and the Ft. Benning (I think that's the place) Army wings. The AFA school is actually free fall and for some reason are not recognized by the Navy so they can't be worn after graduation whereas the Army ones (basic parachutist) can. There was an 04 grad in my company who was able to get his gold jump wings while still at school.

quid.non

hmm...
Out of curiosity, can you go to airborne school while you sit in the a-pool. Being that the a-pool seems to be getting pretty long for NFOs. Yeah I know Im way ahead of myself at this point.

Boats

Freefall at the academy and freefall at Yuma are two way different things. It is cool that they get to do it but you dont see guys who are PADI qualified with scuba bubbles which isnt the exact same but it is close. Either way I think this was discussed in a few threads.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Out of curiosity, can you go to airborne school while you sit in the a-pool. Being that the a-pool seems to be getting pretty long for NFOs. Yeah I know Im way ahead of myself at this point.
I wouldn't hold my breath for this... how is sending NFOs to airborne school useful for the Navy?

Not saying you can't ask...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
They've been sending people to different schools (had a friend go to a joint school at Eglin AFB), but nothing like jump school. Go ahead and ask anyways, worse they can say is no. And maybe laugh in your face... and call you names.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
They've been sending people to different schools (had a friend go to a joint school at Eglin AFB), but nothing like jump school. Go ahead and ask anyways, worse they can say is no. And maybe laugh in your face... and call you names.

Back when I asked, they said it was to dangerous and they didn't want to risk me getting injured. And I had about 300 civilian skydives at the time.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to worry, Jaws wasn't wearing ribbons that day. He's picked up a few more since then (he was nominated to be 6th Fleet Commander on 27th July).

thumb_winnefeld%200606.jpg