• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JOs vs Aquaflage (standing duty in NWU)

srqwho

pilot
Damn. I broke down and bought (yes, with money) a pair of the NWUs recently. Is it the best looking uniform out there... absolutely not. Is is more practical than khakis in many circumstances... YES. Do khakis look a hell of a lot better... yeah. Would wearing flight suits for duty be righteous... yep. Big NAVY approved the NWU, and the command I am in says it's okay to wear for duty (not involving flying). What the hell... this is like the "color of your boot" sort of thing. Forgive me for being a naive O-2. I am all for tradition (probably more than most) but sometimes it's kind of ridiculous that I have to think about how to scratch my nuts without ruffling feathers. This should go without saying, but whatever uniform you are wearing... wear it the right way and wear it proudly.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I still don't understand why they didn't go with a grey dominant digi uniform with some black thrown in. There is absolutely no reason for NWUs to have so much fucking blue in them. But I will say that toting the M9 around on watch is way more comfortable than in khakis.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
And here is the problem. You would really rather wear that POS NWU get-up than our traditional NAVY working uniform? Here's another problem - not everyone who wears that uniform (NWU) takes much pride in putting it on. They translate "comfortable" with haphazard wear. How many people do you see walking around with poorly fit, poorly maintained NWUs? And no offense here, but women are some of the worst offenders with blouses and pants that are TOO big and covers pulled down like shitty baseball caps.... Rejoin the Navy and put on a set of khakis...

This is the truth. The thing I dont get is if it cant be in bags why its ok to be in NWU. The ugly ass uniform came about to replace many "working" uniforms (IE. wash khakis, utilities, etc...) So, we cant wear one working uniform on duty but we can wear another?! Its ignorant.

Take the boat, for example: There is nothing more unprofessional looking than some dude on the quarterdeck in khakis or whites that have massive sweat stains on and through them because it's 120° out, or whose pants have rust and grease on them because they've touched part of the ship. In fact, even the NWU has a "don't screw with me" look to it when worn on duty.
There is def a time and a place. On the boat means working uniform. But lots of SDO's are at the squadron (office) reppin the skipper while he's away which my opions is khakis....if not it should be a bag.

Are you entirely sure it's ALL the uniform's fault. I mean, the uniforms need work, sure, but can't you attribute PART of the problem to the fact that many of the women in our Navy are built like line-backers? Maybe that's why the Marines look better? Because on a one-to-one comparison, they are in better shape?
Agreed. The uniforms need work but also maybe the fact that we allow our female sailors to carry up to 33% body fat. Wow

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
There is def a time and a place. On the boat means working uniform. But lots of SDO's are at the squadron (office) reppin the skipper while he's away which my opions is khakis....if not it should be a bag.

Agreed. The uniforms need work but also maybe the fact that we allow our female sailors to carry up to 33% body fat. Wow

Two questions: what issues would a JO be better able to address on a CO's behalf in khakis than he/she would be in smurfwear, and which jobs that females are eligible for are they better able to perform at, for instance, 30% body fat than they would be at 33% body fat?

KBayDog

Two questions: what issues would a JO be better able to address on a CO's behalf in khakis than he/she would be in smurfwear...

Agreed. You're not going to high-profile meetings with the Bobs in his stead, nor are you really making major unit decisions for the skipper while he's gone. You're essentially taking care of the day-to-day ankle-biters on his behalf, or, more often than not, playing the role of secretary/answering machine. All of the above can be done in Aquaflage.

Food for though: In this age of Purpleness, when all the services are trying to be like each other, why wouldn't you want to stand duty in (insert service-specific color) digital camouflage? We're all doing it, right? If not, why did Aquaflage come into existence, anyway? If khakis are so awesome, and if "tradition" is so important, why didn't you stick with them for the Goat Locker and Wardroom, and dungarees for the Sailors?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed. You're not going to high-profile meetings with the Bobs in his stead, nor are you really making major unit decisions for the skipper while he's gone. You're essentially taking care of the day-to-day ankle-biters on his behalf, or, more often than not, playing the role of secretary/answering machine. All of the above can be done in Aquaflage.

You left out the number mission of the SDO....making coffee

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Two questions: what issues would a JO be better able to address on a CO's behalf in khakis than he/she would be in smurfwear, and which jobs that females are eligible for are they better able to perform at, for instance, 30% body fat than they would be at 33% body fat?

Missed my point. First, smurfwear is a working uni and so is a bag. If a working uniform is not ok, then khakis it is. If a working uniform is ok then it should be the bag. I hate how we are trying to make the smurfs be a more presentable working uniform. Its kinda like when the coverals started requiring military creases at some commands. Why is one working uniform better than the other? Second, Im not referring to their ability to do the job just pointing out the possibility that our female sailors looks like shit because of our loose standards compared to the female yuts.

...... All of the above can be done in Aquaflage.

Food for though: In this age of Purpleness, when all the services are trying to be like each other, why wouldn't you want to stand duty in (insert service-specific color) digital camouflage? We're all doing it, right? If not, why did Aquaflage come into existence, anyway? If khakis are so awesome, and if "tradition" is so important, why didn't you stick with them for the Goat Locker and Wardroom, and dungarees for the Sailors?

Just as easily in a bag too and I never said anything about khakis being awesome.