• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JOs vs Aquaflage (standing duty in NWU)

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
My one gripe with the aquaflage is it is heavy weight material, it's F*%#ing hot in the summer time anywhere. The Navy needs a light weight summer version.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
charming.

You have to lighten up, Francis.

Seriously - I understand the hate, but there are so many other alligators closer to the boat, longer poles in the tent (insert whatever saying the biggest tool in you wing likes to use here) that you got to be able to have a sense of humor even about the crap that pisses you off.

(Unless you were pissed about me using the phrase "camel toe". If I ever get an NKO account maybe I can learn the currently acceptable phrase for that...).

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
You have to lighten up, Francis.

Seriously - I understand the hate, but there are so many other alligators closer to the boat, longer poles in the tent (insert whatever saying the biggest tool in you wing likes to use here) that you got to be able to have a sense of humor even about the crap that pisses you off.

(Unless you were pissed about me using the phrase "camel toe". If I ever get an NKO account maybe I can learn the currently acceptable phrase for that...).

my sarcasm enable key was disabled. Next time i'll include a smiley face.

Francis.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Are you entirely sure it's ALL the uniform's fault. I mean, the uniforms need work, sure, but can't you attribute PART of the problem to the fact that many of the women in our Navy are built like line-backers? Maybe that's why the Marines look better? Because on a one-to-one comparison, they are in better shape?

That's definitely a causal factor, I whole heartedly agree... But I think if you took a random sampling of Navy personnel the females would generally look worse than the males... That includes the nasty males and females and the in shape and locked on males and females. All Im saying is that most of the female uniforms are not cut / designed in a flattering way.

And Im not saying that we should make our female sailors uniforms contemporary, or such that they are unprofessional simply for the sake of being flattering. But I am saying that we should take pride in our appearance. The American People (in my estimation) want to look at our men and women in uniform and be proud of them. Its harder to do that when we look like slobs. And sometimes its more the uniform than it is the person.

The first time I consciously realized this, I had met a few females in a-pool for API, when I saw them out of uniform I was surprised. Both their Khaki and white uniforms just looked terrible on them. As they do most females.

GreenLantern330

I saw the untucked khaki shirt for the first time here at VP-30. Still not common place (only seen one NFO wearing it) and I will say it looks 200% better than the tucked in version.

I think its a shame that a large part of our force doesn't like their more formal uniforms. And why blame them? I don't like them either. Basically from Khakis on up, a lot of the female uniforms look terrible. And they make the service member look terrible. They are cut all wrong, the highlight all the wrong parts of the female body, they just look nasty. The Marines have done a great job of making female uniforms fit female bodies the right way. Female Marines look professional in their uniforms, such is not the case in the Navy much of the time.

Its a shame because it undermines female Sailors pride in actually wearing those uniforms. Why would you want to wear something that was both uncomfortable and looked terrible?

I agree. From the pictures of female officers I've seen, and the female mids on campus, whether they're really thin, average, or on the hefty side, there's almost always FUPA in the khakis or whites. When I see the NWUs, it goes away.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I agree. From the pictures of female officers I've seen, and the female mids on campus, whether they're really thin, average, or on the hefty side, there's almost always FUPA in the khakis or whites. When I see the NWUs, it goes away.

The tailored Khaki shirt makes a world of difference. Now we just need a solution for the whites. Unless a tailored shirt has been approved for that as well? I am not in the know.

EDIT: Just looked it up in the regs. The tailored shirt appears to be called an 'over blouse' and its the same shirt as the enlisted service uniform. Does not appear as though anything similar exists for the whites.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Call CJCS.. I think he wanted them.

Could be his relief as CNO inherited them then. Here's his choice of uniform prior to getting the top job in Navy:

web_060112-N-8825R-026.jpg

060112-N-8825R-026 Everett, Wash. (Jan. 12, 2006) - Damage Controlman 3rd Class Mark Gorley address a question to Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet, Adm. Gary Roughead, during an “All-Hands Call” for Sailors and Department of Defense (DoD) employees stationed on board Naval Station Everett. Roughead addressed concerns from Sailors that varied from shored-based residency, to the future of the base and its hosted warships. The stop was part of Roughead’s overall assessment tour of bases around the Pacific Northwest Region. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer’s Mate 3rd Class Aramis X. Ramirez (RELEASED)

GreenLantern330

The tailored Khaki shirt makes a world of difference. Now we just need a solution for the whites. Unless a tailored shirt has been approved for that as well? I am not in the know.

EDIT: Just looked it up in the regs. The tailored shirt appears to be called an 'over blouse' and its the same shirt as the enlisted service uniform. Does not appear as though anything similar exists for the whites.

Haven't actually seen the 'over blouse' but I believe it when you say it helps. If it works for the khakis, they should do it for the whites too... but who knows if that would ever happen.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I've worn khakis a total of 4 times on the west coast. Check in and check out. Watch has always been in the bag.

MasterBates

Lucky..

Out of the 8 squadrons I have been in (9 listed, but I was in VT-28 twice) I've stood duty in the following:

VT-28 (SNA) Khakis/Bags (AODO/Phone Biotch)
HT-8 (SNA) Khaki
HSL-40 (CAT-I)Bags
HSL-42 Bags minus about a month
VT-28 (IUT) - Bag
VT-31 (quasi IUT) - Stood no duty, but IPs were in bags
VT-21 Bag, Aviation Greens the one day I had SDO and the front office left the Senior Marine in charge.
VAW-120 (CAT-2) Stood no duty, CAT-1/SNFO in Khaki, Staff in Bags
VAW-121 NWU(shore) / Bag (Boat)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd take the NWUs any day of the week, we rock SDBs/whites here. I'd take them over khakis too as they're waaaaaaaaaaaay more comfortable, albeit retarded looking.

I can only dream of the bag on watch.

Another reason to love VP.......Seriously, that is the first I have heard a squadron making that the duty uniform, VP included.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
VP-X up at Whidbey began the SDB while SDO trend about 5 or 6 years ago.
It's shitty that this is still going on.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another reason to love VP.......Seriously, that is the first I have heard a squadron making that the duty uniform, VP included.

In my VP days (JAX early 90s), SDBs and Summer Whites for duty.

Brett

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

This. My favorite example of this happening to me was at CORTRAMID where we had been rocking khakis the whole time (before we hit aviation/Marine weeks) and one weekend a bunch of us go to the beach. A dude I was with (went to a military school, obviously hadn't perfected the fine art of talking to women yet) comes up to me and says he had no idea I wasn't fat. Khakis/whites have this magical ability to make FUPA on anyone but the completely stick thin. If you have anything resembling curves, you look fat.