• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jonny Kim solos the T-6

For his actions while being a POW, not just being a POW. There is a difference, and his actions while a POW were well deserving of a Silver Star.

While his Silver Star is almost certainly undeserved it has never been rescinded or revoked (whatever the official terminology is) and thus remains a recipient.
What did McCain do as a POW to merit a SS ? I know that Admiral Stockdale provided leadership to other prisoners while he was a POW. Therefore, he received the MOH for his efforts. I think there was another POW (Bud Day?) received a MOH for attempting an escape.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
What did McCain do as a POW to merit a SS ? I know that Admiral Stockdale provided leadership to other prisoners while he was a POW. Therefore, he received the MOH for his efforts. I think there was another POW (Bud Day?) received a MOH for attempting an escape.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Dude. Message to Garcia… you should be smart enough to research and figure this out on your own.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I am not one to usually be a bit snappy about such things but the least you could do is a modicum of research, I Googled 'McCain Silver Star citation' and this was the top result.

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Commander John Sidney McCain, III (NSN: 0-624787), United States Navy, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity while interned as Prisoner of War in North Vietnam from 27 October to 8 December 1967. Commander McCain's captors, completely ignoring international agreements, subjected Commander McCain to extreme mental and physical cruelties in an attempt to obtain military information and false confessions for propaganda purposes. Through his resistance to those brutalities, he contributed significantly toward the eventual abandonment of harsh treatment by the North Vietnamese, which was attracting international attention. By his determination, courage, resourcefulness, and devotion to duty, Commander McCain reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of Naval Service and the United States Armed Forces.

What the citation doesn't say is that he was singled out for extra attention and pressure (i.e. torture) because his father was an Admiral and at the time Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Naval Forces, Europe and was subsequently promoted to Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Command (CINCPAC) the next year. His shootdown and subsequent capture were well publicized internationally and since McCain was a noteworthy prisoner at the time the extra attention translated into particularly harsh torture for him and resulted in permanent disabilities.

Whatever one thinks of him politically he and his fellow Vietnam War POW's endured far more than the vast majority of his fellow veterans and continued to serve his country for decades afterwards.

P.S. What @FormerRecruitingGuru and @sevenhelmet already said.

number9

Contributor

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Congrats to Jonny Kim. Had the pleasure of flying with him as an ASCAN (astronaut candidate). I’ve heard from recent ASCANs several months ago that he’s not only gone through flight school; but before that became a flight surgeon for NASA, in case that hasn’t been brought up. So seal, Harvard grad doctor, astronaut, flight doc, pilot. Not bad, and don’t feel like he should have stayed an enlisted seal, nor would that have been to the navy’s or country’s benefit.

exNavyOffRec

For his actions while being a POW, not just being a POW. There is a difference, and his actions while a POW were well deserving of a Silver Star.

While his Silver Star is almost certainly undeserved it has never been rescinded or revoked (whatever the official terminology is) and thus remains a recipient.
There are many who have been awarded decorations of many levels they didn't warrant, there are also probably just as many or more whose actions did warrant recognition but it was never given.

HuggyU2

None
I'm surprised I hadn't seen anything posted about this. Maybe I just missed it.
The guy is something. When he decides to go in the speaking circuit, he will become wealthy.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
The guy is something. When he decides to go in the speaking circuit, he will become wealthy.

I’m curious to see if will end up in an actual squadron or just went through flight school… I know astronauts have their own flight school, but never seen one go through the actual pipeline.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Wait…he didn’t get jets?

Fuck you 42%!

BB Poison

Contributor
I’m curious to see if will end up in an actual squadron or just went through flight school… I know astronauts have their own flight school, but never seen one go through the actual pipeline.
I don’t think he’s going to a squadron. I suspect he’ll be pilot for Artemis 3.