• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jonny Kim solos the T-6

Mirage

pilot
There’s a possibility, however slight, that you may have missed my point.
Your points were that him leaving the SEALs (after earning a silver star) for med school was "not something people should admire, or respect", and that he shouldn't be admired so much because the SEAL community and Navy would have been better served if he had just kept doing a job he apparently didn't want to do anymore.

What am I missing? Please don't just deflect with some snarky non-reply like accusing me of not getting it without further explanation. That helps no one.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your points were that him leaving the SEALs (after earning a silver star) for med school was "not something people should admire, or respect", and that he shouldn't be admired so much because the SEAL community and Navy would have been better served if he had just kept doing a job he apparently didn't want to do anymore.

What am I missing? Please don't just deflect with some snarky non-reply like accusing me of not getting it without further explanation. That helps no one.
You’re a smart man. You’ll figure it out… if properly inclined.

To elaborate a bit, Kim is a guy who hasn’t stuck around in any one comminity long enough to actually make an impact before moving on to the next shinny object Frankly, from a war fighting perspective, that’s not something people should admire, or respect.
Jonny Kim has a Silver Star. If you ignore everything else on his very impressive resume, how many people in the military have been awarded a Silver Star?

I’m not hating on him, just reminding people that our own model of war fighting experience, I.E. ACTC, depends on people sticking around in the same community to build expertise in a very specific set of skills… something that certain folks on this site have argued that we should do even more of. While I certainly admire his accomplishment, if everyone did what Kim did, that would have a negative impact. Kim, with his many talents, would have had a greater impact on the NSW community had he stuck around to serve as a SEAL for 20 years.
The vast majority of people, either in uniform or not, can't do what Kim did, no matter how hard they tried. I think that is the point.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Jonny Kim has a Silver Star. If you ignore everything else on his very impressive resume, how many people in the military have been awarded a Silver Star?
There have been about 150,000 Silver Star decorations awarded. But, to the point, @Brett327 obviously isn’t disparaging Kim’s capability as a naval officer or war fighter, he is simply pulling the conversation back to reality for the rest of the general population. Your average 22 year old naval officer hopeful shouldn’t be thinking “I’ll get F-35’s, go SEAL on my first shore tour, rack up a bunch of F-35 hours on my second sea tour, and then hit medical school right after I finish HALO training and pin on my DFC.” Please let me say again….Kim should certainly be admired, but he should not be the “model.” The future of the navy isn’t dependent on snake-eating, life-saving astronauts but experts in human management and the technical aspects of fighting and winning a war at sea. With reference to a navy career, Kim is the recruiting equivalent of “the Admiral,” David Robinson, who graduated from the USNA and racked up an impressive career in the NBA (including the Hall of Fame). Very cool, quite impressive, remarkable, but not what a naval officer really does.

Fun side note…I’m not sure if it is the same in the navy, but in the army officer ranks the award of a decoration for valor is kind of a long-term career killer - like they don’t trust you to be a team player. I know one rather valorous leader with a high level decoration who joked that getting the Silver Star limits you to one star, the Distinguished Service Cross limits you to colonel, and the Medal of Honor limits you to LTC.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It can not be ignored, the Navy has approved every move Kim has made. If the Navy believed any one of his moves was a net negative, he would not have gotten the orders.

David Robinson got a great deal for the day, and many disapproved. As a recruiter at the time, I can confirm his unique arrangement was a benefit to recruiting.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
It can not be ignored, the Navy has approved every move Kim has made. If the Navy believed any one of his moves was a net negative, he would not have gotten the orders.

David Robonson got a great deal for the day, and many disapproved. As a recruiter at the time, I can confirm his unique arrangement was a benefit to recruiting.
Again, I am not implying it should be ignored….every step has been a stunning journey of great accomplishments. I am simply saying it is not a routine opportunity for your average person.

croakerfish

pilot
Again, I am not implying it should be ignored….every step has been a stunning journey of great accomplishments. I am simply saying it is not a routine opportunity for your average person.
Sure but you can say the same for being a pilot. What if every rock star Second Class wanted to go to OCS? Should they only be encouraged to go LDO so they keep their maintenance experience in the business?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Sure but you can say the same for being a pilot. What if every rock star Second Class wanted to go to OCS? Should they only be encouraged to go LDO so they keep their maintenance experience in the business?
No. Follow your dream.

There have been about 150,000 Silver Star decorations awarded. But, to the point, @Brett327 obviously isn’t disparaging Kim’s capability as a naval officer or war fighter, he is simply pulling the conversation back to reality for the rest of the general population. Your average 22 year old naval officer hopeful shouldn’t be thinking “I’ll get F-35’s, go SEAL on my first shore tour, rack up a bunch of F-35 hours on my second sea tour, and then hit medical school right after I finish HALO training and pin on my DFC.” Please let me say again….Kim should certainly be admired, but he should not be the “model.” The future of the navy isn’t dependent on snake-eating, life-saving astronauts but experts in human management and the technical aspects of fighting and winning a war at sea. With reference to a navy career, Kim is the recruiting equivalent of “the Admiral,” David Robinson, who graduated from the USNA and racked up an impressive career in the NBA (including the Hall of Fame). Very cool, quite impressive, remarkable, but not what a naval officer really does.

Fun side note…I’m not sure if it is the same in the navy, but in the army officer ranks the award of a decoration for valor is kind of a long-term career killer - like they don’t trust you to be a team player. I know one rather valorous leader with a high level decoration who joked that getting the Silver Star limits you to one star, the Distinguished Service Cross limits you to colonel, and the Medal of Honor limits you to LTC.
Understood, Griz.

Mirage

pilot
There have been about 150,000 Silver Star decorations awarded. But, to the point, @Brett327 obviously isn’t disparaging Kim’s capability as a naval officer or war fighter, he is simply pulling the conversation back to reality for the rest of the general population.
I don't recall anyone on here saying Kim's career is one everyone should follow. The "rest of the general population" should, however, do exactly what Kim has done, which is apply themselves fully in chasing what they want to do and achieve as much as they are able in their journey. Everyone doesn't want to change communities multiple times, and nobody is advocating they should. Folks are just celebrating someone who I hope inspires many to not limit themselves to what they think is possible based only on what others have done. Your comments about what is appropriate for the "rest of the general population" do the exact opposite, in that they encourage people to know their place and not strive to achieve more.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I don't recall anyone on here saying Kim's career is one everyone should follow. The "rest of the general population" should, however, do exactly what Kim has done, which is apply themselves fully in chasing what they want to do and achieve as much as they are able in their journey. Everyone doesn't want to change communities multiple times, and nobody is advocating they should. Folks are just celebrating someone who I hope inspires many to not limit themselves to what they think is possible based only on what others have done. Your comments about what is appropriate for the "rest of the general population" do the exact opposite, in that they encourage people to know their place and not strive to achieve more.
Since I just wrote almost exactly what you wrote, I’ll check out of this bizarre conversation for a bit.

Understood, Griz.
Oh, 150K Silver Stars since 1932. I guess I meant Silver Stars for the last 20 years.

Did John McCain get a Silver Star for basically being a POW?

Why is Lyndon Johnson included as a Silver Star recipient when his was awarded fraudently?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did John McCain get a Silver Star for basically being a POW?

For his actions while being a POW, not just being a POW. There is a difference, and his actions while a POW were well deserving of a Silver Star.

Why is Lyndon Johnson included as a Silver Star recipient when his was awarded fraudently?

While his Silver Star is almost certainly undeserved it has never been rescinded or revoked (whatever the official terminology is) and thus remains a recipient.