• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jon Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wiz

Read this on netscape, Jon Stewart's comments at the post emmy press conf:

"Then, when asked by one of the military men on hand, who were collecting on-camera greetings for the troops, if he would like to say something, he went wide-eyed and said he couldn't believe they were there for real. Then he laughed, "No, not in front of everyone...Isn't this something you do at the corner of Best Buy?" At that point, one of the press called out, "Jerk!" He was so negative, one of the military men finally said to him, "There is a difference between policy and people." Stewart finally, lamely, made a comment on camera that included the line "it's probably dangerous over there." He also commented on how things had gone downhill when "we got real" -- meaning the strained mood suddenly in the room. You'd better believe the publicists on the scene were glad to see that moment end.

room5047

spend less time worrying about the press and the "glitterati" and more time working on being proficient at your jobs. does your morale really hinge upon a couple of aloof millionaires living in fantasyland sending you their "deepest sentiments"? cause what you're gonna get from the majority is the same "you're doing a great job, we're all proud of you" line, and i'm personally tired of hearing it. it's like they can't think of anything better to say because - even the really supportive ones - they have no concept of what the serviceperson goes through, so they lay on a bunch of fluffy and meaningless platitudes. it's a lot easier to vote to put 300,000 OTHER guys in danger and then tell them how great they are, than to actually conceive of other tough policy choices. if they really loved us they'd get the 3rd Infantry home before freakin thanksgiving, not send 'em canned greetings in the desert. i care a lot more about email from home or liberty in spain than i do about whether ray romano or dr phil loves all the troops.

as for the jon stewart thing, it is a little bit of a freaky scene when a hollywood media event has a built-in, unannounced, public "tell the troops you love them! you DO love the troops, DON'T YOU?" ambush. it's set up so you either support the policy, via supporting the troops, or you appear to support neither. did you think he was really going to try to make the distinction on the red carpet, where everyone was looking for their sound bites anyway? he couldn't exactly have told the troops, "hey guys, i think you're fighting the wrong war at the wrong time, but you're heroes - stay safe!" about the only thing he could have done and not get attacked was say, "you're doing a great job, we're really proud of you", which would have been the same yawner out of everyone else's mouth and would have made it look like he supported the action, which he obviously doesn't.

as a serviceperson, you may not get the freedom to say what you think sometimes, and you may have to use your skills in endeavors you don't agree with. but if that turns out to be true for all americans, and they HAVE to say certain things to be "correct", not only do we end up with a bunch of boring platitudes, we end up with a nation that ain't as free as we thought. so let the man speak his mind, for the love of pete.

kimphil

room5047,

I've got to disagree with you on this one. We should spend more time dissecting what the "glitterati" have to say.

For example, a few weeks ago Britney Spears gave an interview on CNN in which she was asked her thoughts on the current war. To paraphrase, she (while wearing a wig and alternating between being slackjawed and chomping on gum) said something to the effect the American people should trust the President's motives and his efforts to do what is best for the American people.

Well, it's no secret what my thoughts on the War are, but I've got to go back and reconsider. I mean, if Britney Spears gives an endorsement for the war, there must be something wrong with what I and the 50% of Americans who either never did or now believe in the President's rationale for the War.

jaerose

LOL...that's hilarious! What would give you the impression that Ms. Spears is a mental midget...oh, I'm sorry, mental 'little person.' =)

JR

kimphil

Originally posted by jaerose
LOL...that's hilarious! What would give you the impression that Ms. Spears is a mental midget...oh, I'm sorry, mental 'little person.' =)

JR

Um, after breaking up with Justin Timberlake, she ran into him at a club and had a "dance-off" against him. What else?

AviatorMR239

a dance off with an ex-girlfriend? he should be forced to turn in his testicles and be relegated to hosting that queer eye show

room5047

well, heeyelll, if we sent britney over to police halabja and falluja in a wig and that number she wore on monday night football, i bet it'd pacify the locals right quick and save us a good battalion worth of troops. show baghdadi's that little miracle of genetics and see if they can still hate the US of A, eh? when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Look, most of these hollywood celebrities are not even college educated, so WHY THE F*C! SHOULD WE CARE WHAT COMES OUT OF THEIR MOUTHS!!!
banghead_125.gif
They have no clue about foreign policy or what it takes to govern a nation and keep it safe when a huge radical element in the world is gunning for nothing less than our COMPLETE AND TOTAL DESTRUCTION! If they want to voice their opinion, fine, let's see them do it with Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity firing back at them rather than the unopposed treatment they get from virtually every facet of the liberal media; heck even Dennis Miller or Dennis Leary opposing them, see who wins the argument then. Let's start ignoring these idiots and maybe then, once their over-inflated egos shrink down some, they will go away
bigmouth_125.gif

kimphil

Jaxs170,

I care what Britney has to say!
love_125.gif

As far as who cares what celebrities have to say, apparently the people on this site do. I've read on more than one occasion posts comparing and contrasting the credentials of the members of the Bush administration and the Hollywood elite.

One final thing, there is no liberal media.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Yeah... you're right. No liberal media. Papers like the Post and other outlets such as Slate definitely don't lean to the left... not one bit. Saying there is no liberal media is like saying Fox news doesn't report the news with a more conservative slant. That being said, I have read many of your prior posts and really don't wish to get into a lengthy debate about how the Republican party is evil incarnate and the fact that I am white and successful means that I must have done something wrong and therefore should be required by the government to fork 75% of it right back over to fund social programs that help support fourth generation welfare recipients and their 17 illegitimate children. When I was working multiple jobs as well as active reserve time while going to college at the same time, I didn't use governmental aid. I didn't take grants because I didn't feel it was millions of taxpayers responsibility to furnish me with housing OR food OR free medical care OR an education. Whoa... hold on. Think I got a little off course on a tangent there. Sorry.
I think my original point was that if you think that different media outlets don't lean to the left or right, its time to pull your head out of your ass, wipe the crap out of your eyes, and see the light.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Originally posted by kimphil
Originally posted by jaerose

JR

Um, after breaking up with Justin Timberlake, she ran into him at a club and had a "dance-off" against him. What else?
Well duh, I mean, when you really have to lay the smack down what better medium to deliver said smack than through the power of dance?

jaerose

No way...they weren't having a 'dance off.' They WERE break-dance fighting...for real, my aunt's great uncle's dead neice's 3 year old blind dog saw it and told me. How did the dog get into the bar if it's only 3 you ask...easy, that's 21 in dog years, dummy!

JR

kimphil

jdfairman,

I believe that you're the one who needs to wipe (remember, front to back is hygenic).
propeller_125.gif
Yes, the [Washington?] Post is liberal, but the Washington Times is conservative. The NY Times is the liberal voice of America, but has its counterpart in the conservative Wall Street Journal. Hell, my preferred source for news, The Economist, endorsed George Bush over Al Gore in 2000. There are NO nationally sydicated liberal radio commentators, but plenty of conservatives. And the lukewarm liberal biases of CNN and MSNBC are countered by the right hand of the Republican party, Fox News.

BTW, you missed my point entirely. You should reread what Jax170 wrote: If [Hollywood celebrities] want to voice their opinion, fine, let's see them do it with Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity firing back at them rather than the unopposed treatment they get from virtually every facet of the liberal media.

My point, jdfairman, isn't that there isn't bias in the media, it was that there isn't a consensus liberal voice in the media as Jax170 wrote.

One more thing, you need to stop listening to Republican misinformation. Most of your income taxes are spent (or wasted) on defense, not welfare programs. Try not condescend to race bating, it's so typically Republican.

If you want tax advice, here's some. Get off your lazy ass and work harder! Bush's tax "reforms" favor "harder" working Americans in the highest tax brackets. If you made more money, you'd pay less in taxes. Very brilliant, those Republicans.

PS--Anytime you want a dance off, I'm game.
jump2_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.