• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

Charity

Final Select SNA
I had it done last January (left eye) and february (right eye). It varies pain wise for everyone. Some dont have much discomfort, but for me it was a bitch. I didn't want any pain medication so I didn't fill the Lortab prescription until about 2 hours after the initial numbing eye drops wore off... little more than I could tolerate, but maybe I'm just a sissy girl.

For me it was a bitch, but I'd do it 1000 times if it means that I can fly. I had worse than 20/400 in both eyes. Now both are 20/30 or better. I'm due to go in for my 1 year postop now, just been busy with school.

During the procedure you'll feel pressure on your eye while they scrape the first layer away (feels very uncomfortable, but doesn't hurt). Then when the laser starts going you'll feel the heat on your eye lid where it's closest to it, but its hardly noticeable.

Last I heard they were about to approve LASIK for pilots and I would definitely go that route over going PRK, but be 100% sure (call the naval refractive center in San Diego yourself) that LASIK is approved for naval pilots before you decide to do it.

The procedure is definitely worth it. Even if you don't get to be a pilot, the improvement to your quality of life (depending on how bad your eyesight was) is great.

I have a wife and son and was always worried about someone breaking in and me not being able to do shit about it because I wouldn't be able to see them at night with my contacts out.

Find a good doctor and get it done is my suggestion.

Thanks, it's great to hear from people who have had prk. My right eye doesn't have any problems and my left eye sees about 20/30 uncorrected. My astigmatism tested the first time at -1.5 without my eyes dilated and when I went back to get them dilated the same doc told me it was -1.00, which is the limit. I'm hopeful that there's a waiver if it is so close to the limit. After all, since my right eye compensates for the left one, I see 20/20 with both eyes together...and I'll still see 20/20 if I get it corrected. I had no idea my vision wasn't perfect until I started having all these vision tests done.

DFSpence

As long as you get the ASA (Advanced Surface Ablation) form of PRK, then you will be good to go. Just don't get the actual LASIK form, in which they cut a flap of cornea. You will not be able to get a waiver for that type.

nugget61

pilot
As long as you get the ASA (Advanced Surface Ablation) form of PRK, then you will be good to go. Just don't get the actual LASIK form, in which they cut a flap of cornea. You will not be able to get a waiver for that type.

Actually, Charity you might want to look into LASIK - another member was saying that he got into the SNA lasik study before OCS... don't know what the wait time on the waiver is for that, but it should be substantially shorter. Just probably darn near impossible to get into that study.

Edit: link to that thread http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146670

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
Ouch, Jerk! haha Implying I'm not!? I'm almost sick of running; though, it being in the 60's here, running has been pretty nice. :) I've actually gotta get ready to do exactly that, PT. How many miles are you running? I'm going to start incorporating pull-ups into my workout, finally, and may start running 5 miles 4 days a week instead of 4x4. I'm just not wanting to add that extra mile just yet...

Charity

Final Select SNA
Yeah, I've kept the forum going freaking out about my eye, but as I calm down a little I'll stop driving everyone crazy. I'm really working on my PT stuff too so I can give you guys a little competition on the run at OCS ;) I ran the first 1.5 miles of the first 5k in the duathlon in 10:15 so I'm on my way to breaking 10 minutes.

Charity

Final Select SNA
Ouch, Jerk! haha Implying I'm not!? I'm almost sick of running; though, it being in the 60's here, running has been pretty nice. :) I've actually gotta get ready to do exactly that, PT. How many miles are you running? I'm going to start incorporating pull-ups into my workout, finally, and may start running 5 miles 4 days a week instead of 4x4. I'm just not wanting to add that extra mile just yet...

I'm at 30 miles per week right now. I will hopefully be running between 40-50 before OCS. That doesn't include my swimming and cycling. I'm also working on push-ups and sit ups, which is hard for me.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I pretty much have been running shorter distances, but I've been doing tons of wind sprints, pull ups, sit ups, push ups...8 count body builders etc etc. I also have been biking quite a bit and went on a couple of hikes.

Running 3-4 miles...I just get flat out bored. Formation running with cadences and what not are fun (when I was in NROTC) and I could run forever in those. I'm a soccer player and I was a running back too, so I'm more of the short distance sprinter type...I loathe long distance just because I get ADD.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
I love biking. I wish we had more to ride here in Fort Worth, but oh well. I get to ride my Kona every once and a while. I have to say that it's the first bike i've had with disk brakes, and they're incredible.

Charity

Final Select SNA
well...having ran it the second week of January, you have beat me by 12 seconds. I will pwn you. :D

Are you a runner? I'm not in shape yet but I know that even if I go to OCS in shape, most guys will still beat me. The fastest I'll probably get down to is about 9:30, even when I am in shape.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I love biking. I wish we had more to ride here in Fort Worth, but oh well. I get to ride my Kona every once and a while. I have to say that it's the first bike i've had with disk brakes, and they're incredible.

I'm more into trail biking. I have a Trek. I do ride it on the roads and in neighborhoods, but I prefer off-road.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
Yea, I don't ride roads. I like the trail/mountain biking. No, I'm not a runner. I loathe running. I'm far better at sprinting than distance.