• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board June 2020

exNavyOffRec

Two boards ago IWC Board 2 DEC 2019: 34 out of 191 = 17.8%
One board ago IWC Board 2 March 2020: 22 out of 133 = 16.5%
Current board IWC Board 29 June 2020: 18 out of 127 = 14.1%

I just wanted to put it here for the next IWC Board so when they start looking at the past IWC Board thread they can see this.
just to put it in context the long term selection rate tends to hover around 10%

Ancalagon

Two boards ago IWC Board 2 DEC 2019: 34 out of 191 = 17.8%
One board ago IWC Board 2 March 2020: 22 out of 133 = 16.5%
Current board IWC Board 29 June 2020: 18 out of 127 = 14.1%

I just wanted to put it here for the next IWC Board so when they start looking at the past IWC Board thread they can see this.

Just to be clear, all three of these numbers are specifically only for the Intelligence 1830 board, not ALL the IWC designators.

exNavyOffRec

Ocean (1800) - 4 out of 9 (44%)
CW (1810) - 13 out of 35 (37%)
IP (1820) - 18 out of 40 (45%)
Intel (1830) - 18 out of 128 (14%)
SWO-IP (11603) - 0 out of 6 (0%)
SWO-Ocean (11604) - 1 out of 1 (100%)
The numbers of those applying for all those designators are low as they historically tend to be closer to 300+ applicants, it also seems that less are applying for CW and IP, that may be because OR's are looking more at the requirements and encouraging only those with tech degrees to apply, of course that would result in a higher selection rate, but in the past you had people who were applying that had really no chance of getting selected so that helped lower the selection percent.

PringleMan

The numbers of those applying for all those designators are low as they historically tend to be closer to 300+ applicants, it also seems that less are applying for CW and IP, that may be because OR's are looking more at the requirements and encouraging only those with tech degrees to apply, of course that would result in a higher selection rate, but in the past you had people who were applying that had really no chance of getting selected so that helped lower the selection percent.
They also did medical up front for this one, not sure if that is the standard now but definitely not what the documentation says. So there may be a lot of people that previously would have been Pro-rec Y with a medical DQ that just did not even make it to the board.

exNavyOffRec

They also did medical up front for this one, not sure if that is the standard now but definitely not what the documentation says. So there may be a lot of people that previously would have been Pro-rec Y with a medical DQ that just did not even make it to the board.

That is an excellent point, it will be interesting to see if these selection percentages become the new normal, IP is a much higher amount than normal so that is a bit interesting, of course there have been times when IP was 0

Fitzou

That is an excellent point, it will be interesting to see if these selection percentages become the new normal, IP is a much higher amount than normal so that is a bit interesting, of course there have been times when IP was 0

When I was doing my appraisals and speaking to senior IP officers they made it sound like there's a big push to get more in the fleet. There's new directive to have one on every ship, not just the big decks.

exNavyOffRec

When I was doing my appraisals and speaking to senior IP officers they made it sound like there's a big push to get more in the fleet. There's new directive to have one on every ship, not just the big decks.

That is a lofty goal considering there is only so much space on each ship for officers, and there are only so many officers authorized in the USN, I think it would make sense on larger ships, on the small ones like an LCS or DDG a CPO or SCPO should be able to handle it.

Fitzou

That is a lofty goal considering there is only so much space on each ship for officers, and there are only so many officers authorized in the USN, I think it would make sense on larger ships, on the small ones like an LCS or DDG a CPO or SCPO should be able to handle it.

I doubt they make it to LCS, but they've already started integrating them onto DDGs and CGs.

exNavyOffRec

I doubt they make it to LCS, but they've already started integrating them onto DDGs and CGs.

CG's make sense to me, I wonder if with DDG's they will do what they have done with other platforms, some having a senior enlisted while others have junior officer.