• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board June 2020

exNavyOffRec

So what do you think is some of the biggest things the board looks for?
when looking at IWC it would be degree and GPA (average has been 3.5 for a few decades), for a few years those with prior service in an IWC enlisted rate had a big advantage, now not so much.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Interesting, I wonder how they convinced the SWO community to give up that spot.
Well, SWO community wanted to give it up. It was their idea. First of all, they need a place to naturally fit their SWO-IP options (so a COMMO could be SWO-IP before or after they turn into an IP). Second, it benefits the surface community on the back end - if more IPs are more familiar with the surface warfare community, they will carry that perspective forward as they move up the IP ladder. Naval aviation already reaps benefits of this with squadron AIs. Lastly, I don't think SWO is worried about having too many people and not enough billets (i.e. "SWO & go").

exNavyOffRec

Well, SWO community wanted to give it up. It was their idea. First of all, they need a place to naturally fit their SWO-IP options (so a COMMO could be SWO-IP before or after they turn into an IP). Second, it benefits the surface community on the back end - if more IPs are more familiar with the surface warfare community, they will carry that perspective forward as they move up the IP ladder. Naval aviation already reaps benefits of this with squadron AIs. Lastly, I don't think SWO is worried about having too many people and not enough billets (i.e. "SWO & go").
That is a good spot for SWO-IP, it makes me wonder with the increase in JO IP positions if that will end up making promotion to O-4 more competitive, or if the ship billet will convince more to leave like it does with SWO lol

Hair Warrior

Contributor
That is a good spot for SWO-IP, it makes me wonder with the increase in JO IP positions if that will end up making promotion to O-4 more competitive, or if the ship billet will convince more to leave like it does with SWO lol
Not sure it will “convince” them to leave like SWO, but it’s a decent option for those who only want to do 4-5 years in the Navy then leave to do IT in the private sector. IP is undermanned at O-4 in SELRES so maybe that can be a good landing spot once they leave active duty.

Fitzou

Not sure it will “convince” them to leave like SWO, but it’s a decent option for those who only want to do 4-5 years in the Navy then leave to do IT in the private sector. IP is undermanned at O-4 in SELRES so maybe that can be a good landing spot once they leave active duty.

Active too. My DH just made it and he told me it was damn near 100%.

jnf2k2

Just got the call from my recruiter, Pro Rec N on Intel unfortunately. Gonna reapply for the October 9th date
Same here unfortunately for Intel but i'll try again in October. Now to tweak my packet and see what I can change to make a difference. Anyone have good recommendations? I'm going to branch out to apply for IP and Crypto as well to give myself a better chance, but my OR feels Intel is still my best shot as I have 19 years of experience in the Intell Community.

exNavyOffRec

Just got the call from my recruiter, Pro Rec N on Intel unfortunately. Gonna reapply for the October 9th date
There is a 6 month wait in place from the date the results are signed until a person can reapply unless the person has shown significant change in the application (OAR or GPA), sometimes people slip through unnoticed, sometimes they are sent back, sometimes they get a N-DNR

There is a 6 month wait in place from the date the results are signed until a person can reapply unless the person has shown significant change in the application (OAR or GPA), sometimes people slip through unnoticed, sometimes they are sent back, sometimes they get a N-DNR
I understand. I'm retaking the OAR and going to get new letters of rec and rewrite my statement.

exNavyOffRec

I understand. I'm retaking the OAR and going to get new letters of rec and rewrite my statement.

The OAR won't do much to getting you selected, but it will get you another look.

I would say that while your GPA isn't bad in the big picture, when looking at IWC it is lower than average. Have you considered starting a PG degree?

The OAR won't do much to getting you selected, but it will get you another look.

I would say that while your GPA isn't bad in the big picture, when looking at IWC it is lower than average. Have you considered starting a PG degree?

Yes I have, just wanted to wait until after the board. I'm considering a Master's in Homeland Security. Going look at more options now.