• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board June 2020

Fitzou

That is devastating! I would strongly urge you to have your recruiter or his/her next higher supervisor to call the security office and advocate for you. If you've had a TS/SCI in the past, that should ideally alleviate a lot of concerns about whether you could get one again this time. I would really, really push them to reconsider your case in light of all the facts.

You can have a TS and not an SCI. Also dual citizenship often comes down to the country. If you marry a Russian citizen and she becomes a dual citizen, good luck getting/keeping your clearance.

Ancalagon

You can have a TS and not an SCI. Also dual citizenship often comes down to the country. If you marry a Russian citizen and she becomes a dual citizen, good luck getting/keeping your clearance.
I am aware. I still urge him to try to do everything he can to push to have his pre-screen reconsidered. There are literally no downsides.

exNavyOffRec

That is devastating! I would strongly urge you to have your recruiter or his/her next higher supervisor to call the security office and advocate for you. If you've had a TS/SCI in the past, that should ideally alleviate a lot of concerns about whether you could get one again this time. I would really, really push them to reconsider your case in light of all the facts.

There is no appeals for this as it is a screening, I had this happen a few times with candidates a no is a no.

PringleMan

Oh believe me I did. And it isnt just in the past, I actively hold one now, which makes the whole thing insane.

But according to the OCM, it is not an actual determination of SCI suitability, it is a community suitability screening so Ms. Hanlon is literally the only deciding person. It cant be appealed because the one person that makes that decision already made it, and isnt an actual determination.

Utter BS, but that is the hand dealt apparently. I have expressed my sincere confusion over it to the OCM since I already hold SCI and literally nothing has changed since I was granted it.

Fitzou

I'm surprised they don't do the security clearance portion for AD prior to the board meeting.

exNavyOffRec

They need to do a lessons learned or something so future applicants can be aware and not get their hopes crushed.

If he had been working with a recruiter I would have advised him of potential issues, just because a person has a clearance for one thing doesn't mean he will be cleared for another, sounds strange but it is the way it is.

Fitzou

Oh believe me I did. And it isnt just in the past, I actively hold one now, which makes the whole thing insane.

But according to the OCM, it is not an actual determination of SCI suitability, it is a community suitability screening so Ms. Hanlon is literally the only deciding person. It cant be appealed because the one person that makes that decision already made it, and isnt an actual determination.

Utter BS, but that is the hand dealt apparently. I have expressed my sincere confusion over it to the OCM since I already hold SCI and literally nothing has changed since I was granted it.

Hope you think about applying for a different designator such as SWO

PringleMan

Thank you everyone for the kind commiseration with my situation. After a week and a half of my leadership being beyond stellar and fighting for me and for answers, I have some clarifications.

Apparently, the reciprocity for clearances between departments goes away as soon as there is any mitigating circumstance. So while my clearance is perfectly fine within the DoD, any other department would review it independently for clearance and decide whether or not to grant a waiver. That is not a one time thing, however, and would have to be done literally any time I PCSed to a non-DoD unit. Every NIOC is owned by the NSA for crypto, and for 1810s the vast majority of the programs are actually owned by some other stakeholder. So it was highly doubtful to the interviewer that I would have much value as an 1810 due to the shear number of places I could not go. Even going between NIOCs would require a new waiver every time.

The fact that this was determined so late in the process somewhat enraged my reporting senior and his deputy, who happen to be a CAPT FAO and a CDR 1830 respectively, and apparently kind of called the 1810 community manager and guilt tripped them hard.

So, 1810 is out for me. However, my leadership argued them into granting me an exception to be allowed to apply for 1830 at the November board. I was able to get it thrown together, plus it up with another LoR and a couple more CDR 1830 interviews, and turned it in today. So here is to hoping I will get another chance at this as an 1830!

exNavyOffRec

Thank you everyone for the kind commiseration with my situation. After a week and a half of my leadership being beyond stellar and fighting for me and for answers, I have some clarifications.

Apparently, the reciprocity for clearances between departments goes away as soon as there is any mitigating circumstance. So while my clearance is perfectly fine within the DoD, any other department would review it independently for clearance and decide whether or not to grant a waiver. That is not a one time thing, however, and would have to be done literally any time I PCSed to a non-DoD unit. Every NIOC is owned by the NSA for crypto, and for 1810s the vast majority of the programs are actually owned by some other stakeholder. So it was highly doubtful to the interviewer that I would have much value as an 1810 due to the shear number of places I could not go. Even going between NIOCs would require a new waiver every time.

The fact that this was determined so late in the process somewhat enraged my reporting senior and his deputy, who happen to be a CAPT FAO and a CDR 1830 respectively, and apparently kind of called the 1810 community manager and guilt tripped them hard.

So, 1810 is out for me. However, my leadership argued them into granting me an exception to be allowed to apply for 1830 at the November board. I was able to get it thrown together, plus it up with another LoR and a couple more CDR 1830 interviews, and turned it in today. So here is to hoping I will get another chance at this as an 1830!

It is good that they were able to get you seen for 1830, I don't know what your stats are but if anything at least you have a shot.

PringleMan

It is good that they were able to get you seen for 1830, I don't know what your stats are but if anything at least you have a shot.
My stats are actually not great from a numbers perspective, because I was an idiot wasting time in college before I joined. I think I have a pretty good application once my EVALs and LoRs get added in though, which is what I think won my spot as an 1810 the first time around.

If you have some free time, I can email/pm you my package for advice in case I need to do this a third time around. In my experience a single sentence can make the difference.

My stats are actually not great from a numbers perspective, because I was an idiot wasting time in college before I joined. I think I have a pretty good application once my EVALs and LoRs get added in though, which is what I think won my spot as an 1810 the first time around.

If you have some free time, I can email/pm you my package for advice in case I need to do this a third time around. In my experience a single sentence can make the difference.
We're rooting for you PringleMan!

exNavyOffRec

were you already given a pro Y before?

PringleMan

were you already given a pro Y before?
I was, for 1810. I needed a GPA waiver, and 1810 granted it but 1830 did not the first time around.

But AFTER getting the pro-rec, when I went for my Crypto SCI interview it would have had the aforementioned reciprocity issues. 1830 does not have that same problem. Or rather, there are so many positions internal to the DoD that I would still have value as an officer.

Fitzou

I dont really follow that logic.

Intel requires much of the same clearances as Crypto. There's plenty of 1830s at NIOCs