• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is my sin unforgivable?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
A little background on myself: I attended the Naval Academy Preperatory School in Newport Rhode Island after high school. After finishing there I was off to the Naval Academy. About mid-way through my second semester of plebe year I made probably one of the biggest mistakes in my life and left the Naval Academy. At the time I felt like I was pushed to go to the Academy from my father who was an O-6 in the admissions department there at USNA. Alot has changed since I have left. I have been paying my way through college and I have come to turms with my own immaturity that led me to leave USNA. I know that being in officer in the navy is something that I have always wanted and I buckled in a moment of weakness. I still want to be an officer in the navy and specifically to fly, but a commision is my main goal. I have done some research and I was told that I have too many credit hours to join a NROTC unit at this point. I would like to do AOCS after I finish school, but I want to know if the selection boards are going to believe that I had my chance and I blew it. I could get good recomendations from some officers that were in my chain of command, and I am approaching them some of them now to ask for the opportunity to talk to midshipman that are thinking about leaving to give them my experiences and hopefully give them a perspective that is closer to their own. There are some things that you can not really see and understand until you take a step back from the situation. I have good grades, work 40-50 hours a week while going to school full time, and I have some flight time. I'm just trying to gage whether the door will be slammed in my face when I put in my package.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to respond to this and....
GO NAVY BEAT ARMY!

KBayDog

Wait - leaving the Academy was a mistake?

I wouldn't hold your breath about the AOCS gig, but there is no reason why you cannot seek a commission through any of the various sources. You would not be the first person to leave the Academy and earn a commission, and you won't be the last.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
I had a guy in my OCS class that went to the academy and then was asked to leave after his first year. He matured and figured out exactly what he wanted and is now flying helos. You can always apply and the worst they can say is no. Then apply again.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Pretty sure AOCS is gone, and it is just OCS now but I know someone who dropped out of the academy and still got commissioned through NROTC so it is possible. Talk to a recruiter, but if the door gets slammed in your face after the pacakge is submitted, keep sumbitting it if thats what you really want to do. Also, consider applying to some of the other services as well.

Kolja

Git-r-done
KBayDog said:
Wait - leaving the Academy was a mistake?

Amen.

In all seriousness, while there isn't AOCS per se any more, there is OCS. Give it a crack if its what you really want to do.

Kip26

FRS Slave
XMID,

Good place to post your question man. I hope people that write back will refrain from the old "academy vs. college vs. ocs vs. nrotc" hijack that always seems to come out of these posts. Anyway, that being said, finish school and get your degree. Secondly get a hold of an Officer Recruiting Officer. They are usually O-3 attached to NROTC units within a Naval Recruiting District. They are generally really good at explaining your options. For example, if your working on a technical degree you may be able to apply for BDCP for your last year of school (navy pays you to finish school with promise that you attend OCS afterwards). A good Officer Recruiting Officer will be upfront about your options and what the trends are in terms of OCS aplications for all the various designators (pilot, NFO, intell, etc). This forum is a great place for generalities and gouge but only a qualified ORO will be able to give you the specifics you need.

Anyway, I am sorry to lecture. It sounds like you've got your **** together and hopefully your selection board will agree. I think you've got a shot.

By the way, I found the ORO by calling a local Navy Recruiter (E-6) who gave me the number of the O-3 who helped me though the process. You may have to listen to the Enlisted sales pitch before you get the contact information you need. Remember most enlisted recruiters have no idea about Officer Procurement they just pass you up a level.

Good Luck

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Ok, so I went in and talked to my local navy recruiter (enlisted) and I have a feeling I am totalling getting the run around. He told me that the navy sees things as a one shot and you're done sort of thing. After I talked to him for some time he told me that my best shot was to enlist and apply for a commission in say 2 years... after he felt I had redeemed myself. He told me he is going to call the Officer Recruiter for me and then I will come in to the local office and talk to him on the phone. This seems weird to me. Why wouldnt I talk to the officer recruiter on the phone myself? The enlisted recruiters seem to have no problem calling. I dont know if this senior chief is actually sending my info up or not, but I definitely feel like someone is jerking my chain.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I forgot to say that today they had me come in and take the "enlisted screening test" I think it was. He told me that I needed to take that for him so he could talk to the Officer recruiter about me? This all seems a little wierd.

KBayDog

xmid said:
he told me that my best shot was to enlist and apply for a commission in say 2 years...I definitely feel like someone is jerking my chain.

Nobody is jerking your chain. He's an enlisted recruiter; his job is to get people to enlist. He's just doing his job.

If you have absolutely no desire to enlist, you need to let him know, and stick to your guns. Don't waste his time, and don't waste your time. It's not fair to either of you.

If you want to be an officer, get in touch with the officer recruiter and listen to what he has to say.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
yea I know its his job, and I dont blame him for it one bit. I walked in knowing that he would try to get me to enlist. He told me that I have to go through him, I can not go directly to an officer recruiter. I'm just worried that this is bad gouge and he may have little or no intention of helping me get started on the OCS process, but instead may be hoping that he can convince me that the cause is lost unless I enlist.

DairyCreamer

My situation is far different from yours, but I never had to talk to anyone in the enlisted reruiting side before going to the Navy Recruiting District office downtown where my officer recruiters are.

In fact, when I originally started this whole process, I called the local recruiting office, and they quickly told me that they didn't do officer applications, and to call the NRD.

Check out http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/ and find the NRD office nearest you in the upper left of the page there. There should be direct contact information somewhere on those pages that will get you pointed to an officer programs officer near you.

~Nate

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
First of all, this recruiter who said you have to go through him is full of $&it. I was kicked out of NAPS for bad grades, enlisted in the Marines, did my hitch, loved every minute of it, went to college, got PLC, blew out my knee, did NROTC, got commissioned and start Primary in a few weeks. So it's totally possible. Nobody is going to hold your hand or hook you up these days due to cutbacks. So be bold and get what you want...period. Call a local NROTC and talk to them about your options. I know that lots of people tell you to call an enlisted recruiter to get the Officer recruiters number, etc. NO! I was stashed at my NROTC unit after commissioning for 6 weeks and can tell you FIRST HAND that former Academy guys, prior service, and everything in between call there several times a week asking the same questions you are asking. Call them and they will point you in the right direction. DO NOT waste your time with the enlisted testing crap because it is a trap to get you in the military mood. I swear that if you continue down that path they will lure you in with GI Bill crap, and enlisted-to-officer program crap. These guys do not work with officer acquisitions and most don't know crap about it, so they will just do what they know and it is to your detriment.

Good luck and don't give up. There's NO SUCH THING as a one shot deal.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
Ok, so I went in and talked to my local navy recruiter (enlisted) and I have a feeling I am totalling getting the run around. He told me that the navy sees things as a one shot and you're done sort of thing. After I talked to him for some time he told me that my best shot was to enlist and apply for a commission in say 2 years... after he felt I had redeemed myself. He told me he is going to call the Officer Recruiter for me and then I will come in to the local office and talk to him on the phone. This seems weird to me. Why wouldnt I talk to the officer recruiter on the phone myself? The enlisted recruiters seem to have no problem calling. I dont know if this senior chief is actually sending my info up or not, but I definitely feel like someone is jerking my chain.

Had a former Officer Recruiter in my last squadron and he mentioned that this sometimes happened. He actually overheard some enlisted recruiters telling a guy who came in asking about officer programs that he had to go through them. He said that enlisted recruiters were required to let him know when qualified guys asked about officer programs. I am not saying that the recruiter you talked to is a jerk, but he probably sees you as a possible recruit and does not want you to slip through his fingers.

While all the stuff I know is second hand, you should really PM Wink, he is a former recruiter and will tell it to you straight.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
xmid said:
yea I know its his job, and I dont blame him for it one bit. I walked in knowing that he would try to get me to enlist. He told me that I have to go through him, I can not go directly to an officer recruiter. I'm just worried that this is bad gouge and he may have little or no intention of helping me get started on the OCS process, but instead may be hoping that he can convince me that the cause is lost unless I enlist.

Dairy Creamer is right...talk to the NRD and they can point an officer recruiter to you. The enlisted rectuiter is not correct. I did darn near the same thing you did many years ago....stayed enlisted, got off AD to get a few degrees and came back in as a direct commission....did not go through an enlisted recruiter.

Good luck.