• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is my sin unforgivable?

USN99

USN99
None
xmid got the run around from that enlisted recruiter, plain and simple. It's also plain and simple BS. The gouge on this sight is good, don't play around with that enlisted recruiter tool. Go to an NROTC Unit and talk to an officer or contact the Naval Recruiting District to get in to contact with an Officer Programs Officer. xmid needs to keep advocating for himself and not take any BS from enlisted recruiters. That's outrageous treatment he received. That "enlist and try for OCS after a couple of years" is decades old BS, literally decades old. I can't count the number of times I've heard sailors convey that same exact BS that they got from their recruiter. Don't believe it. xmid should aim straight for OCS. I'm still steamed about that recruiter tool. And I don't subscribe to the notion that he's only doing his job. He was a tool to treat xmid as was portrayed by xmid.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
yea I know its his job, and I dont blame him for it one bit. I walked in knowing that he would try to get me to enlist. He told me that I have to go through him, I can not go directly to an officer recruiter.
That's a bunch of BS. Who is this numnut? PM me his name and number. He should not be doing business this way.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You probably have a good chance. Good friend of mine went through the Citadel, turned down a commission at graduation. Later went to OCS and got a commission. Maybe not apples to apples, but overall similar situation. If it is what you really want, investigate every option to you. I agree with all who are advising you to stay away from the E recruiters as well. I have had too many sailors in my shops who entered the Navy with aspirations to become O's and who every year apply to STA-21 and keep getting kicked in the junk. Go O early......

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Just my $.02...Like Fmr1833 said, there's NO SUCH THING as a one shot deal. I can't speak for the non-enlisted commissioning programs, but since I got a second chance, I'll share my story (ever so briefly): Went through enlisted Nuke training pipeline, got picked up for NECP (nuke ECP), went to UT Austin for 1 year, partied my a$$ off that entire year, ended up with 1.8 GPA, disenrolled, returned to fleet, bad attitude, bad evals for first 2 years back in fleet, turned myself around, worked hard, got good evals, applied for STA-21 my last age-waiverable year (7 years after getting disenrolled from NECP), got picked up, commission in December.
Point is, there is a such thing as second chances in the Navy, no matter what anyone else says (i.e. that recruiter you talked to). You leaving the USNA isn't an unforgivable sin that will prevent you from obtaining another program.
I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Hurry up and put in your package before they move to Rhode Island and freeze your butt up!!!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I appreciate the encouragement from all. I spent a year at the Naval Academy Prep School so I know how f'ing cold Newport Rhode Island will be! It snowed two weeks before we graduated in May! Does anyone know when the plan is to move OCS?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
I appreciate the encouragement from all. I spent a year at the Naval Academy Prep School so I know how f'ing cold Newport Rhode Island will be! It snowed two weeks before we graduated in May! Does anyone know when the plan is to move OCS?
Even if BRAC is approved as is, it will take years to execute. Will everyone please stop worrying about BRAC? Thank you. :)

Good times,

Brett

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I would like a piece of the joker that told you you had to talk to him, especially if he's in my district. Please PM a name and number of the recruiter that told you that.

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
RockyMtnNFO said:
I would like a piece of the joker that told you you had to talk to him, especially if he's in my district. Please PM a name and number of the recruiter that told you that.

Get all up in this guy's BUTTOCKS! That is some BS, a buddy of mine bit off on that crap about 11 years ago. He eventually ended up in OCS after serving 6 or 7 years enlisted and submitting 4 or 5 packages. Not that there is anything wrong w/ being enlisted(I was for 10 years), it is just not a nessesary means to a desired path, as some recruiters would have you believe.

USN_ATC

Sky Cop
xmid said:
Ok, so I went in and talked to my local navy recruiter (enlisted) and I have a feeling I am totalling getting the run around. He told me that the navy sees things as a one shot and you're done sort of thing. After I talked to him for some time he told me that my best shot was to enlist and apply for a commission in say 2 years... after he felt I had redeemed myself. He told me he is going to call the Officer Recruiter for me and then I will come in to the local office and talk to him on the phone. This seems weird to me. Why wouldnt I talk to the officer recruiter on the phone myself? The enlisted recruiters seem to have no problem calling. I dont know if this senior chief is actually sending my info up or not, but I definitely feel like someone is jerking my chain.

from an Enlisted guy.....

IT'S THE BIGGEST SCAM THEY CAN TELL YOU!!! You have NO idea how much more difficult it is to go in enlisted, and go for an Officer program. I'm 29, E4, and ATC. I have 2.5 years of college underneath me, and will be finished in the next year or so with my degree. I went in at 27, and was in DEP for almost 10 mos. If I knew then what I know now, I would have NEVER gone in Enlisted, and would have finished my degree before going in.

As an ATC, and I'm sure it's the same in the other rates, 95% of my time at work is spent studying. Not my college stuff. My qualification stuff. Couple that with a 60-80 hr work week, (with all of the all of the Collateral Duties, and other Command Honey Do's, it's aobut 60-80 hrs.), a wife, school, and having a life, it's a lot of work to make it all go. Think Blue shirt world vs. White Collar world. Do you want to bust your brains out for two years as an enlisted guy, go to OCS (or pick a program) for 13 weeks, and come out with a commission, or do you want to do 13 weeks at OCS with the same outcome?

Dude, for being highly educated, you need a dose of common sense. Sorry, but that enlisted recruiter has one interest in mind, and it's this: Meet Quota. Any how, any way. You have been warned.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nfo2b said:
Just my $.02...Like Fmr1833 said, there's NO SUCH THING as a one shot deal. I can't speak for the non-enlisted commissioning programs, but since I got a second chance, I'll share my story (ever so briefly): Went through enlisted Nuke training pipeline, got picked up for NECP (nuke ECP), went to UT Austin for 1 year, partied my a$$ off that entire year, ended up with 1.8 GPA, disenrolled, returned to fleet, bad attitude, bad evals for first 2 years back in fleet, turned myself around, worked hard, got good evals, applied for STA-21 my last age-waiverable year (7 years after getting disenrolled from NECP), got picked up, commission in December.
Point is, there is a such thing as second chances in the Navy, no matter what anyone else says (i.e. that recruiter you talked to). You leaving the USNA isn't an unforgivable sin that will prevent you from obtaining another program.
I sincerely wish you the best of luck.
And just when you think you know someone. Did you get picked up out of power school or prototype?

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Steve Wilkins said:
And just when you think you know someone. Did you get picked up out of power school or prototype?
Heh. Prototype. I qualified early so that I could leave there with an NEC, and make it to UTx in time for the summer semester. Upon retrospect, it was a very smart move finishing my quals and getting that NEC...since I ended up back in the fleet. But that's another story... ;)
/threadjack

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nfo2b said:
Heh. Prototype. I qualified early so that I could leave there with an NEC,
Not so fast. Nobody qualified earlier than I did in 9305.