• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is friend getting tricked? Bootcamp requirement for PLC?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You learned an essential word in our sea language...

It's like a baby saying its first word.

Sounds like the recruiter got the message that he wasn't your thing, but he's still keeping his(and your) options open. 75 is an above average score on the EST. It's not premium, but you should qualify for pretty much any occ field.

Keep on keeping on.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
just dont make it plural or else people with better knowledges will tell you otherwise :)

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
You learned an essential word in our sea language...

It's like a baby saying its first word.

Sounds like the recruiter got the message that he wasn't your thing, but he's still keeping his(and your) options open. 75 is an above average score on the EST. It's not premium, but you should qualify for pretty much any occ field.

Keep on keeping on.

Next words are 'Geedunk' and 'Head':icon_wink

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I read something once about geedunk being the sound that the junk food and candy makes when it falls out of a vending machine.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After 5 years in the Navy, I still think Geedunk is the most retarded word I've ever heard. WHERE DID IT ORIGINATE?!?!

Probably same place as Kimchi (var Kimchee), which I've heard overused just as much (suspect A4s and maybe Schnugg have a great picture of it, but it truly transcended its original as a type of Korean dish)

But "gouge" is a gouge word. Learn it, use it, live it!

phrogpilot73

Spekkio said:
What's even worse is that they knew this stuff was needed a long time ago, and now they try to rush and get it all done 4 business days before the trip.
Ahhh, welcome to the military... And the concepts of hurry up & wait, and waiting until the last minute...

Spekkio said:
But OP did say that he went to an enlisted recruiter who didn't try to throw any sideways bs at him, and offered to go hiking with him. That's pretty refreshing to see.
Not all recruiters are scum bags. Again, they're all great Marines in the fleet. They need the recruiting gig to punch their ticket to continue with their career, and it's very easy to be unsuccessful in the recruiting world. The recruiting world has a nasty habit of destroying your career if you're unsuccessful, and most of these guys are trying to avoid that. As for the recruiter that says he lives, breathes, eats, and sleeps Marine Corps and would choose it over his wife - he may not be lying. There are Marines that feel that strongly about the Marine Corps. I can tell you that the Marine Corps saved me from a life of worthlessness.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
One more saved round, just to clear up where the recruiter is coming from...

It expands on my car buying analogy. Go into a Ford dealer, and say "crap, I thought this is where they sold Dodges." If the salesman is worth anything, he'll try to hook you and get you to buy a Ford by any means necessary. That's what salesmanship is. It's not underhanded or unscrupulous and it is entirely legal. It's not exactly what a choir boy would do, but what Marine anywhere would do what a choir boy would do?

I call BS, they are Marines and they shouldn't try to intentionally deceive potential recruits or candidates. It goes against good judgement and our corps values.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I call BS, they are Marines and they shouldn't try to intentionally deceive potential recruits or candidates. It goes against good judgement and our corps values.

Kool-AidMan.jpg

As much as I'm sure it pains you, you and I both know that even the Marine Corps isn't immune to the kind of shady ass shit that goes on in our society. While ideally they would be entirely honest and forthcoming with their applicants...there's no way in hell it actually happens that way. Is that acceptable? Hell no, and I think it's everyone's job here to fight things that are corrosive to our core values, but in the end, it still exists.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
UMich, screw the koolaid! I know thats what it sounds like, but thats effed up man. I might even face a court martial over it cause i would tell any Marine to their face (higher rank or not) to go XXXX themselves. Sorry man, thats just wrong.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
All the Kool-Aid drinkers deny it at first...:D

Most recruiters would give all they have not to cross into fraud territory and most don't. In most cases, these guys go to sleep every single night with a clear conscience because they often believe every word of what they're saying, even if it is misguided to a person on the outside looking in.

In a perfect world you would be right. I happen to agree with where you are coming from. In this world we're presently in though, you and karma just made a deal for you to be an RS CO in Northern Maine as soon as you pin on major. Hope you like moose, snow, and liberals.

phrogpilot73

And to add on to it, I haven't met many recruiters that didn't believe what they were saying. From my own un-scientific research, I would argue that the number of prior enlisted officers is >10-15% as what the OSO said. I've seen it as high as 60-70% in some units I've been in. I would say that it's probably closer to 25%. If a recruiter has only been in one of the units with a high number of prior enlisted guys, and he doesn't know much about officer programs - it's easy for him to push the "I believe" button and say that enlisting helps your chances at becoming an officer. In some cases it does (I never would have been an officer unless I had enlisted, but that's another story).