• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is friend getting tricked? Bootcamp requirement for PLC?

CaseyL90

I just got back from Winter Break-today was the first day of school since December.

I was talking to my friend today about the PLC program, and said I was looking into it a lot over break. The first thing he said to me was "you know you have to go to boot camp"

Now, I've look at these forums, and everything says boot camp is NOT a prerequisite. By "boot camp" I am assuming he meant the enlisted recruit training. Is there another meaning to boot camp besides the enlisted recruit training that I do not know about?

I told him, "no you don't". And he started off on me saying "you don't know, I know more than you". Then his friend next to him said "yeah, just shut the fuck up Casey". I asked him which contract he signed saying "which contract did you take? Air, Ground, or Law?" He gave me this weird answer like, kind of stumbling around with the answer as if what I asked him was foreign. "I already signed a contract" then he said "I have a MOS with ground".

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought MOS was only for enlisted?

Now here comes the weird part. He claims to have talked to 10 people about the PLC program. 6 enlisted, 4 officers-even one of them being the XO in the Bay Area district! All of them claiming you have to go to boot camp to get into PLC.

What he said goes against everything I read here. I am about to call the number that the officer.marine.com site gave me when I requested more information.

If I call these people and they tell me the same exact thing, are they wrong? Friend heard wrong? The site is wrong? Some type of conspiracy to fill in reserve quotas?

Well I'll call in a little bit

Thanks!
Casey

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You should call your OSO or whatever point of contact with the USMC and find out from them. Sounds like your surrounded by the cone of confusion. Get the answers from the pros, not the sea lawyers.

phrogpilot73

Sound advice from BigIron. Some things to think about:

Boot Camp = Enlisted Recruit Training in San Diego or Parris Island, not required of officers, only guys who enlist.

OCS = Officer Candidate School (done via PLC, OCC, or NROTC) in Quantico, required for officers (except Academy guys).

MOS = Military Occupational Specialty, EVERYONE regardless of rank has an MOS. Some MOS's are for officers, and some are for enlisted (i.e. 7562 is an officer MOS, 6047 is an enlisted one). You DO NOT get guaranteed an MOS on the ground side for officers (except for Lawyers), and the only MOS you get guaranteed on the air side is SNA or SNFO.

You are correct, with PLC you contract for Ground, Air (SNA/SNFO) or Law. If you are PLC Ground, you will not get your MOS until more than halfway through TBS.

You friends are either getting jerked around by an enlisted recruiter, or they are trying to fuck with you. They are full of shit.

Don't know where you are in California, but here are the OSO's for California:

LOS ANGELES, CA (323) 294-2726
IRVINE/ORANGE, CA (949) 261-0131
SACRAMENTO, CA (916) 646-3788
SAN BERNARDINO, CA (909) 383-1130
SAN DIEGO, CA (619) 294-2174
ALAMEDA, CA (510) 865-7285
SAN JOSE, CA (650) 603-8964

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Big Iron has the real answer. But I have to tell ya, sounds like your buddies have been shanghaied. I also bet they know it now, hense their STFU responses.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You'll get a lot of the sea lawyering, especially from those who haven't been to sea, but your friend, other than being an ass, is stupid. He will not make it. He will be the bottom 10%. If he doesn't at least know the first few steps in the pipeline even after he contracted, then he's too dumb to make it.

You don't have to go through "boot camp" before OCS. There is a chance that he's calling OCS boot camp because it sounds neater or he's confused; possibly calling OCS boot camp and calling TBS OCS. He sounds like a cheesedick.

Either that or he's getting jacked up by an enlisted recruiter, in which case he's still a cheesedick for not exercising due diligence.

another bullet-The Army has programs where you have to go through to boot camp before going to OCS.

last thing- In the Marine Corps, it is MOS regardless of officer or enlisted.

You're headed in the right direction. Just stay away from your friend at OCS so he doesn't take you down with him on his way to working at a car wash.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why not invite him to come onto Air Warriors and share his newfound wisdom and we will return the favor?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
unfortunate misconception amongst USMC recruiters

I was told the same thing by my recruiter back in 2003. During my short stint on recruiter's aid I'm going to try to dispell this myth. You are definitely not required to complete boot camp.

Tell your friend to either do some independent research, or, as heyjoe recommended, join us on AW so we can collectively square him away.

Sound advice from BigIron. Some things to think about:

LOS ANGELES, CA (323) 294-2726
IRVINE/ORANGE, CA (949) 261-0131
SACRAMENTO, CA (916) 646-3788
SAN BERNARDINO, CA (909) 383-1130
SAN DIEGO, CA (619) 294-2174
ALAMEDA, CA (510) 865-7285
SAN JOSE, CA (650) 603-8964

The San Bernardino OSO moved to Riverside.

New number: (951)248-2211

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The only time I've seen someone justified in going to boot camp before PLC was when he wasn't an American citizen. He went to bootcamp, applied for citizenship and picked up PLC. Otherwise, I don't see how it's necessary.

My apologies. I know I am not a marine, but had a marine buddy in PLC who went to bootcamp for the above reason.

CaseyL90

Alright guys I just called the number that the officer.marines.com site gave me

It was not an OSO number, in fact it was just a normal recruiting station.

Here is a brief overview of the call. ( I didn't get this guys name)

Me: hello? Is this the Officer Selection Office?
Person: no, this is just the normal recruiting office. Are you interested in becoming an officer?
Me: Yes.
Person: ROTC or PLC?
Me: I'm looking at PLC, Can I get the number to the OSO?
Person: Yes, hold on. Okay it's 925-373-0128
Me: Alright Thanks.
Person: No problem.
Me: Hey, for the PLC program, do I need to got to boot camp?
Person: Yeah, all Marines go through boot camp officers and enlisted.
Me: Is it required?(added stress to required)
Person: Uhh.....no it's not required BUT you have an almost guaranteed chance of getting in if you become a reservist
Me: Alright thanks

So I call the number he gives me. 925-373-0128. The guy who picks up is named Tom Robinson.

Me: Hi, is this the Officer Selection Office?
Tom: No this is just a normal recruiting office.
Me: Oh, because I called a different recruiting station and they referred me to this number.
Tom: No no, who did you call?
Me: Some person in Fremont.
Tom: did you get their name?
Me: No, I didn't ask
Tom:Ah those guys are always getting things wrong. You looking to ROTC or PLC?
Me: Yeah, I applied to the NROTC scholorship and and looking at PLC.
Tom: Which colleges did you apply to?
Me: San Jose State, Texas A&M, the Citadel, colleges like that.
Tom: I don't think San Jose has a ROTC for the Marines.
Me: But it works for PLC, right?
Tom: Yes all colleges work for PLC.
Me: Do I need to enlist to get into PLC?
Tom: For PLC? Yes
Me: I just talked to the guys in Fremont and they said different.
Tom: Did you get their name? Those guys always get things wrong.

So then he says if I want to set up an appointment to talk to a Staff Srg. about recruiting. I say sure, why not, I'll ask this guy about PLC. So he asks me basic questions about drugs, tattoos, medical problems, stuff like that-as if I was going to enlist.

Tom: So what is a good day for you to come down here and talk with the Srg?
Me: Sunday or Sat? Anytime
Tom: How about Saturday in the afternoon, say 3?
Me: Sure that works.

So the sergeant he referred me to is going to call me. I'll ask him about PLC as well, see what answer he gives me.

Personally, I think this is kind of bullshit right now. How about I suppose to contact my OSO when these gusy won't give me their number? Why are these recruiters so sketchy? I feel like I am going to get duped. I know if I go to the recruiting office I am not signing 1 thing.

I am going to call some OSO people that Phrog gave me. Thanks Phrog!

Also keep in mind, when I talked to my friend today-he sounded dead serious. Ane he didn't cuss me out, just his friend next to him.

Thanks for the quick responses!!!
much appreciated! More help from you guys than the recruitors!!

Edit: I'll show my buddy this thread tomorrow, we share a class with computers in it.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Just be careful and don't sign anything till you're 100% sure everything is on the level.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Person: Uhh.....no it's not required BUT you have an almost guaranteed chance of getting in if you become a reservist

There you go...it's the bait they're dangling to try to fill enlisted slots making you think you have a better chance. If that's how they handled your friend, he was hooked through the gill big-time. Only talk to an OSO and make sure they know what's going on with your friend (after you get straight with them).

Raptor2216

OK...forget all that crap. Call this number: 650-603-8964. The Capt. is out of the office at the moment but someone else will answer that phone. They are located at Moffet field.

Alright guys I just called the number that the officer.marines.com site gave me

It was not an OSO number, in fact it was just a normal recruiting station.

Here is a brief overview of the call. ( I didn't get this guys name)

Me: hello? Is this the Officer Selection Office?
Person: no, this is just the normal recruiting office. Are you interested in becoming an officer?
Me: Yes.
Person: ROTC or PLC?
Me: I'm looking at PLC, Can I get the number to the OSO?
Person: Yes, hold on. Okay it's 925-373-0128
Me: Alright Thanks.
Person: No problem.
Me: Hey, for the PLC program, do I need to got to boot camp?
Person: Yeah, all Marines go through boot camp officers and enlisted.
Me: Is it required?(added stress to required)
Me: Alright thanks

So I call the number he gives me. 925-373-0128. The guy who picks up is named Tom Robinson.

Me: Hi, is this the Officer Selection Office?
Tom: No this is just a normal recruiting office.
Me: Oh, because I called a different recruiting station and they referred me to this number.
Tom: No no, who did you call?
Me: Some person in Fremont.
Tom: did you get their name?
Me: No, I didn't ask
Tom:Ah those guys are always getting things wrong. You looking to ROTC or PLC?
Me: Yeah, I applied to the NROTC scholorship and and looking at PLC.
Tom: Which colleges did you apply to?
Me: San Jose State, Texas A&M, the Citadel, colleges like that.
Tom: I don't think San Jose has a ROTC for the Marines.
Me: But it works for PLC, right?
Tom: Yes all colleges work for PLC.
Me: Do I need to enlist to get into PLC?
Tom: For PLC? Yes
Me: I just talked to the guys in Fremont and they said different.
Tom: Did you get their name? Those guys always get things wrong.

So then he says if I want to set up an appointment to talk to a Staff Srg. about recruiting. I say sure, why not, I'll ask this guy about PLC. So he asks me basic questions about drugs, tattoos, medical problems, stuff like that-as if I was going to enlist.

Tom: So what is a good day for you to come down here and talk with the Srg?
Me: Sunday or Sat? Anytime
Tom: How about Saturday in the afternoon, say 3?
Me: Sure that works.

So the sergeant he referred me to is going to call me. I'll ask him about PLC as well, see what answer he gives me.

Personally, I think this is kind of bullshit right now. How about I suppose to contact my OSO when these gusy won't give me their number? Why are these recruiters so sketchy? I feel like I am going to get duped. I know if I go to the recruiting office I am not signing 1 thing.

I am going to call some OSO people that Phrog gave me. Thanks Phrog!

Also keep in mind, when I talked to my friend today-he sounded dead serious. Ane he didn't cuss me out, just his friend next to him.

Thanks for the quick responses!!!
much appreciated! More help from you guys than the recruitors!!

Edit: I'll show my buddy this thread tomorrow, we share a class with computers in it.