• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is friend getting tricked? Bootcamp requirement for PLC?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would not go there.

If you go, I put the odds of you enlisting at 75%

Think of it this way. They only want you to come by to convince you to enlist so unless you are considering that option, what do you expect to gain? The OSO Office is where you ought to be heading first.

phrogpilot73

Think of it this way. They only want you to come by to convince you to enlist so unless you are considering that option, what do you expect to gain? The OSO Office is where you ought to be heading first.
Concur. And as for the top three benefits tags that USMM was talking about, it's one of their sales tactics. They pull out plastic tags with benefits engraved in them, and they have you pick your top three - then they sell you on how the USMC blows every civilian company in the world out of the water when it comes to X benefit. They're good. Was I suckered in? Maybe (I was already going to enlist, but it was a question of Navy vs. Marine Corps), but I wouldn't change a thing.

Bottom line is - I found myself in the recruiter's office because I wanted to enlist in the reserves. I made up my mind about that BEFORE I went to their office. If I didn't want to enlist, then why in the hell would I be in their office?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Yes but, much like Heaven's gate, once you drink the koolaid, there's no turning back.

You know cults (ahem! Marine Corps. ahem!) target young and impressionable kids, right?

:D

Slap.jpg

Just cuz spotter!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
That's why I was touting the benefit tags. It was sort of tongue in cheeck, because I know that if you go there you'll get amped up about it. I say go ahead and go. Have a good time. Ask all the questions you can. Especially ask about NROTC. There's one officer program that he WILL have good vis on. I also recommend that you go to boot camp in August. San Dog is beautiful that time of year.

If you didn't come here, I would have put your chances of enlisting at 85%. Now I put it at about 65% if you go to the office. It is THAT convincing.

Fords are pretty good trucks and if the dealer sells you one you won't be disappointed. Just remember that it's a Dodge you wanted.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Perhaps he's spending too much time with himself?

God-kills-kitten.jpg
I posted this on my stateroom door on my first cruise. By the end, all of JOPA - black and brown shoes alike - had adopted the term "killing kittens" into their degenerate sailor vocabularies.:D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
FWIW, I wish that I had enlisted in the reserves at your age. It gives you some perspective and experience that might be useful later as an officer. I don't think that it's necessarily an either/or proposition. It may help you get into PLC/ROTC/USNA, but don't count on that as a reason. You could just as well be accepted without reserve time.

In the interest of full disclosure, there wasn't a war on when I was your age, so I wouldn't have been as concerned with being pulled out of college to deploy with my reserve unit, either. There have been a few threads around here where reservist have painfully debated giving up their OCS slot to deploy with their buddies.

If you can exercise some restraint and not sign anything, it wouldn't hurt to go talk to the man. Be polite, respectful, and honest about your intentions and goals.

Good luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There seems to be some confusion here... When you do the PLC program you don't enlist. You are payed as an enlisted E-5 at OCS, but you don't actually swear in until you complete OCS and graduate from college. After juniors you have no connection to the military and you aren't considered in the reserves, returning for seniors is optional. BDCP is different, but PLC is strictly hands-off until you have that degree, after which you can still turn it down if you want to.
OK I need some clarification. Back in the day PLC guys could get money, a stipend I guess, not the big money like BDCP. And I thought they went to Quantico as Jr's and were paid down there, returning after college graduation and getting their commission. I find it impossible to believe you get paid by the USMC in PLC without being in some sort of reserve status. To be in a reserve status you have to "enlist" and raise you hand. Now I know that there is no obligation until you are commissioned, but that doesn't mean you can not be enlisted in the reserves. Hell, a regular Navy OCS selectee is enlisted in the reserves, and goes nowhere, paid nothing, until he ships for OCS. Even a PLC Sr will be sworn in some weeks before he ships for OCS.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
OK I need some clarification. Back in the day PLC guys could get money, a stipend I guess, not the big money like BDCP. And I thought they went to Quantico as Jr's and were paid down there, returning after college graduation and getting their commission. I find it impossible to believe you get paid by the USMC in PLC without being in some sort of reserve status. To be in a reserve status you have to "enlist" and raise you hand. Now I know that there is no obligation until you are commissioned, but that doesn't mean you can not be enlisted in the reserves. Hell, a regular Navy OCS selectee is enlisted in the reserves, and goes nowhere, paid nothing, until he ships for OCS. Even a PLC Sr will be sworn in some weeks before he ships for OCS.

I almost got screwed in a similar situation... recruiter told me that my contract would be a reserve enlistment with a conditional acceptance to PLC. Contract and recruiter's words didn't jive, talked to OSO, didn't sign the contract.