• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is a 260 a good pft going into OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
The e-course at OCS (3.5mile) wasn’t loaded up with all that much, if I recall, it was flk, two canteens (full), magazines, rifle – it is still a butt kicker. OCS in general is seems to be designed to break your body down, instead of receiving adequate recovery time from a workout; you’ll be going on a little run the next day. Most people will come back at least 10-15lbs lighter, and those that did not report in strong wound up with stress fractures. Those who were smart, were training at least a year prior, and drinking milk (running will increase your bone density – this takes time, nothing that is going to happen in a couple of months). When you get to TBS, they will introduce you to some more weight. You get the flack for the very first time – yippee. The e-course there (4.8 mile) had a lot more weight; day pack that was fully loaded, it had to have weighed at least 20 – 30lbs, and then the usual loaded up flk, rifle and Kevlar. TBS also gives you an introduction to everyone’s favorite thing, the PRC-119, only the most sadistic volunteered to carry this for the humps (oops, the Marines call them hikes now, more pc).
Train hard so you can pound the beer instead of Gatorade on what little liberty OCS gives you.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
PRC-119?

"There were many airplanes, but it was the skinny bird that scared us the most."
- Iraqi POW on the AH-1W Cobra -

dvl_dog_2531

It is indeed a radio. They are usually called "Prick 119's" (or Prick 77's or Prick 105's or whatever the radio set's model number is). Not exactly PC, but that is what people call them.

mccabe1919

Trust me as a former 2531 enlisted Marine YOU DON'T WANT THE PRK119! I was with the grunts for 6 years and had to carry that thing everywhere! Oh well, I guess I'll be seeing more of my little buddy hopefully in TBS...

Wesley McCabe

Nikki

Is it crunches or situps for the marine corps pft.I was under the impression it was crunches. On my last pft for the AF (don't laugh) I did 78 sit ups in 2 min. I know I can do a lot more crunches, but can someone explain to me how to execute a proper "crunch" for the pft. Thanks bunches!!

mccabe1919

All you need to do is put your hands on there oppisite elbow, kind of making a square. Keeping your hands as close to your stomach as possible and from there your elbows need to touch your legs which should be bent as much as possible so your knees are pointing at the sky. That will count as one crunch. The Marines like to change it once in awhile as well. I am sure I have confused you. I'll see if I can find a picture or something.

Nikki

I understand what you are saying,but that sounds like a regular sit up to me. What is the difference.
Thanks!

mccabe1919

No hands behind your head...When you get really good you will learn how to do these with about a 4 inch movement. They can be REALLY easy. when you get into the position just make sure you get your elbows as close to your legs as possible.

Nikki

I see what you are saying. I guess with your hands that low to your legs, the range of motion would be a lot smaller. When my abs heel in a few days, I will see how many I can push out. I hope I can get 100. Any tips on a faster run time. Mine is about 24 min flat right now, but I want to run a 21:00 to get a 300 pft for females. Any ideas other than flat out practice??

mccabe1919

RUN STAIRS!!! This will increase the strength in your legs enabling you to run greater distance at a better speed. I also bought one of these puppies:
http://www.timex.com/spd/
You can find them for around $120. It works to a tee for me and help me track my performance. Work on your leg strength as well though. Practice is great for endurance but you need strenght as well to run that fast. Hope this helps you.

Nikki

Thanks Mccabe!! any other advice. The more the merrier! <~spelling is a wee bit off probably.
boggled_125.gif

mccabe1919

Not really just work hard at it and you will be fine. I also do 2 sessions a day which is tough cause I work full time but I do a light 2 miles in the morning and 4 miles with PFT and lifting @ lunch time on weekdays. I know you need to do this though because I know what is in store for me and with officers everything is a hell of alot more competitive. If you can try not to run on a track. Also try to run on cross country and hills. When you go to PFT it will seem SO much easier. Good luck to you. Are you applying for OCC 184?

Nikki

Yeah, I know what you mean by working full time and all. I am active duty airforce plus I work as a personal training at a gym up here. I can help others,but not my self. I am stationed in alaska so there are plenty of hills and mountains to tread earth on. I hate the cold and believe me, it gets a wee bit nippy up here. I think I am applying to OCC 184. Pilot, right?? Thanks for the advice!!

reapergm

Man, watch out for that. Mccabe1919 is right... youll get fast and im sure you'll be better off at OCS for that.. but maybe not. I built my run time SO fast doing that. I ran my neighborhood which is all hilled streets. Id run around 6 miles every other day. Then I got tendonitis. Went to an ortho surgeon. He told me that it happened b/c a) I trained too much, too soon, b) because I ran on uneven terrain. He said that I have to run on a track to build up my legs now.. and then after time I'll be able to run anywhere (hopefully at OCS). So this I advise you: If you're not a runner now, .. make sure you warm up (slow run, not just stretch), and build up on a track before you go streets. I will admit this though, I HATE TRACKS. They are the most boring things on the planet. They actually resemble hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.