• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is a 260 a good pft going into OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvl_dog_2531

Also, scoot your heels into your butt and try to curl yourself up vs. "folding" at the waist. Talk to your OSO or AOSO about how far down you need to go to still be considered a crunch. It isn't as far as you think . . .

jaerose

Oh, I forgot to mention...a lot of people who have problems with the situps are weak in the hip flexors as opposed to the abs, so do hanging leg raises in your regular workout and also try some leg lifts (support your lower back, though). You can also do situps on a decline so they're harder, which should also make the regular version easier.

JR

PriceM15

Thanks for the advice. I have a couple of weeks to improve my PFT score. Hopefully I can increase my sit-ups in two weeks. I've got the arm hang and the run down, its just those sit-ups. Do you guys know what a good initial PFT score is for a female? or what the avg is for girls? Thanks!

jaerose

You can make some improvement in situps in two weeks...luckily your abs can handle heavier training than most other muscle groups.

JR

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
i have a question for you Frumby, or should i say Sir:

wouldn't walking/running around with so much weight be bad for your joints? i'm not trying to sound like a sissy, but in health wise (no offense.) i heard some marine nrotc/other marine officer program students walk around with 25 lbs. weights in their backpacks. i was just curious.

Curmudgeon

PriceM15 - If you can max the run and hang, those are probably the most important as long as you get 50 pts or better on the crunches. If you were getting 50 pts on the run, it would be much more of an issue. My daughter is at OCS right now, and she said they leaned pretty hard on anybody that was under 225 total, or under 50 on the run; not sure if they washed anybody out for it. I think she was around 240 total when her package went in, and 280 by the time she got to OCS (maxing crunches and hang). What she found is that she needed more general upper body strength; the flex-arm hang is too static - she should have been doing more pushups and heavier weight workouts in preparation.

kaiken82

PriceM15,

Are you using the Nashville OSO or is there an office in Atlanta?

"WELL, ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE"

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

PriceM15

Curmudgeon - Thanks for the info. I've heard that they put more emphasis on the run, so that's good. I have been doing pushups and lifting upper body 2-3 times per week which helps for the flex-arm hang. I think its better to just lift to increase your upper body strength than to practice the arm hang every day. At least I was fine with doing that. I'm fine with the running and the flex-arm hang, its just those sit-ups for me...I think I can increase by working out my abs a lot over the next few weeks.

Kaiken82 - I am using the OSO in Atlanta. Are you applying for OCC-184?

kaiken82

PriceM15,

yeah, I am applying/fighting for a slot into OCC 184, Air Contract. Have you contracted yet? My packet is done other than signing my contract, I am tentatively signing in a couple of weeks but I am starting to get nervous with the deadline approaching, don't want to miss this board. It's probably my last application with my age issue.

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Kaiken82 - what part of TN are you in?

"There were many airplanes, but it was the skinny bird that scared us the most."
- Iraqi POW on the AH-1W Cobra -

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey Price .. here's what I do for sit-ups/crunches and it works for me.
1 set of say 50

rest 2 min

1 set of 50

rest 2 min

Max effort set (should end up being more than the 50 or what ever # you do)

When you get it to 50,50,100 then up the first 2 sets by say 10. Now you do 60,60,max. When you get to 60,60,100 up the first 2 sets again. The goal is to get to 3 sets of 100. When you get to that, then start reducing your recovery time. Only rest 1 min instead of 2.

Peace,

-Spin

kaiken82

EA-6B1,

I'm in Memphis, you?

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I've been doing 5 sets of 30 starting with a 1 minute rest in between. As i progressed I decrease the rest time until I'm doing 150 straight. Just another sample of what could work...

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Enishi-If your talking about the weight of a Flak and camelbak along with boots and Uts.....the weight is nothing. Health wise, yes, it probably is bad for your joints but I'm not a physiologist. You will run with a lot more during the endurance course at OCS. (If that isn't true anymore, somebody correct me) When I'm combat loaded for a hump, my pack weighs between 65-75lbs depending if I'm carrying a SOFLAM (Laser)or not. To me, that would be worse for your joints vice what I jog in. Thanks for the question, Frumby

Attack Pilot
LtCol USMCR

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Nashville here Kaiken82

"There were many airplanes, but it was the skinny bird that scared us the most."
- Iraqi POW on the AH-1W Cobra -

Status
Not open for further replies.