• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is a 260 a good pft going into OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Is 260 a good pft for going into OCS as a college student? Just wondering where I need to be. Also, what excersises can you do to increase your pullup count?

Thanks,
Mike

farkle84

i went into OCS with a 270. some guys went into OCS with 225. 260 is fine. and by the time you take your second PFT at OCS you will be up to around the 275-280 mark. guaranteed. to help pullups, you can build up your biceps and back. do lat pull downs and anything the builds up the lats and middle back. plus keep doing pull ups. good luck

charger

Try the armstrong pullups program. It's on this site in numerous places or just search the web for it. Pullups are the key to scoring on the pft, but the key to sucess at ocs is running.

Citizen

grip on the pull-ups was huge for me. not even 3 weeks ago, i pulled off 12. Today I did 17.

i got those grip spring deals - use 'em when i'm watching the idiot box, and i'm developing a bone-crushing grip

good luck

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
My OSO said that they put a little bit more weight on the run, even with the same total score- someone with an 18 minute run and a 260 total might be better off than somebody with a 270 total but a 20 minute run, and is almost certainly better off than somebody with a 260 total and a 20 minute run.

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

Jeremy

If you score 275 or better the Marine Corps will love you. I am a Sergeant that EAS'd in 2000 and I am attempting to become a USMC aviator (snake pilot). I will tell you that I am 5'7" 170-178 and I hate running. Still I run until I dry-heave and that is what motivation is all about. The fastest 3 mile run I have ever completed was 18:30 and that scored me a 297 on the PFT. Do not focus on whether or not someone will be mad at you. If you are in the 275's no one will bitch at you. Anything below though, and you will get your ass ridden a little bit.
Officers are expected to lead the enlisted Marines. OCS emphasizes this explicitly. If you cannot run your Marines in the dirt, you shouldn't be an officer (don't take that literally but more as an ideological viewpoint).
Anyhow, I can do almost 30 deadhang pull-ups. What is the best way to get there? Well other than going to the gym and lifting weights everyday like I do there are a few ways to get there.
1.) Pyramid pull-up routines. Start of with a pyramid like 4-6-8-10-8-6-4 and work your way to something like 8-10-12-16-12-10-8. If you can get to there, you are good to go.
2.) Another method (which still includes doing pyramids if you don't lift weights regularly) is switch-grip. Before I was strong enough to do 20 dead-hangs holding one grip method, I would do about 16-17 palm's down and then switch to palm's up for my last 4-6. This changes the focus from your back (palm's down) to your bi's (palm's up).
3.) Lift weights. Lat pull-downs, weighted pull-ups, bent over rows, etc...

I hope this helps you all.

Semper Fi,

-J

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Armstrong program is the bomb. I had my first PFT on Friday and scored a 278 (24 pull-ups, 101 crunches, 21:31 run). I was at the 14-15 range a few months ago and now I'm at 24 and rising.

My OSO also said that runtime is more important that the other sections. RUN RUN RUN ...... and then runsome more. From what I've been told, you can keep submitting updated PFT's untill 1 or 2 weeks before the board meets so don't settle with what you have even if it's good ........ keep striving to improve it till the bitter end!!
Just my 2 cents.

Peace,

-Spin

farkle84

no it doesnt matter. you can even switch grips in the middle if you feel you can rep out more. thats what i did. i would start out palms away and rep out 15, then switch grips to palms facing me and rep out five more. when you switch grips you have to stay on the bar and your feet cannot touch the ground or steps.

Jester

pilot
I went to OCS back in 2001 and went there with around a 250 PFT. Yeah it sucked but when I got there I just put out a lot more and I was usually up near the front on all the runs. I was NOT going to be the guy that fell behind on a run or anything else. My point is that your PFT going into OCS isn't necessarily an indicator of how you will do at OCS, it's just a function of your motivation level at the time. Just put out more and keep PTing and you'll do good.

Jester

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
True a decade ago 225 was considered a good PFT score. I will say to all of you who score 225 or better, the PFT was a heck of a lot easier. Your technique could assist strength. Many of us older Marines have had to "redevelop" ourselves in our training to achieve decent PFT scores. Kipping, a swinging technique to help the pullups, and raising your butt during sittups were techniques that reduced the strain on your muscles to achieve a higher score. IT WAS TAUGHT TO EVERYONE!! The only constant has been the run. Unfortunately or better yet fortunately, I had an OSO that was determined to boost the run scores of his candidates. We ran in boots and utilities EVERY time we ran. Only time we got to wear our "go fasters" was during PFT's. I can't speak for OCS today but when I went to OCS it was the exact same way. Entry and exit PFT, wear "go fasters" all other PT was in boots and Uts. Want to increase your run time? Run a sub 21:00 3 mile in boots and Uts consistently. You will fly in "go fasters." I promise. I still train the same way except now I run with my Flak on and a camelbak. Freaks the hell out of my neighbors but it keeps me honest in my PT.
My point is that a 260 is good. You are head and shoulders over candidates 10 years ago. Your problem is all the instructors at OCS have also gotten better. Keep running until the day you leave and you'll be fine. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
LtCol USMCR

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I am going to have to second the opinion on training in boots. Some of the liberals around the CU campus thought it was strange to see someone in boots and utes and an alice pack with a 25 pound plate running up and down the hills – but when the e-course came around there were only a few ahead of me. If you are good at that, you will be better prepared for OCS. You will run into some of the Gazelles that run sub 18:00 three miles - put a pack and boots on and they fold like a wet taco.

PriceM15

What is a good Female PFT score going into OCS? I maxed out on the run (<21 mins time), and the 70 sec flex arm hang was not a problem. My weakness is the situps - only did 52. Any suggestions on how to improve on the sit-ups?

jaerose

Do max sets of situps, then when you cannot do any more immediately continue to do crunches for as many as you can. Rest--Repeat 1-2 times.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.