• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The core conflict is this:

does executive branch designation of a senior member of a state as a terrorist run afoul of the legislative branch's sole ability to declare war?

(lots in here to consider, esp. 2nd+ order effects)
Not in this case, because the 2001 and 2002 AUMFs are the stated legal basis.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That only has to satisfy the Congress, and not whatever lay interpretation you've come up with on your own.
This discussion is several different topics that keep getting mixed up:
  1. Was it legal per current laws? We seem to all be largely in agreement with that one
  2. Should those laws be adjusted? Have we gone too far?
  3. Moral/ethical discussions regarding the killing. Only kind of related to 1 and 2 if you try and conflate moral/ethical with legal.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
When you're spreading Russian propaganda and disinformation, yes, I'm killing the fucking messenger

So where have you found the Russian propaganda? I didn't believe that 737 had been shoot down till the Iranian confession, since no one in Ukraine respects UIA services and price politics. When the Russia broke air traffic to Ukraine all pax flow began to use the Minsk, BY, as the transit point to/from Russin airports. What UIA did then? Winded the price up between Kyiv and Minsk and it still keeps it high despite the 3 times grown numbers of passengers. Is it good capitalism? Maybe so, but I don't think it deserves respect.
I deeply regret for the loss of lives in this incident and know for sure the Russian weapon (AAW missiles firstly) delivered to IRGC plays and will play evil game again and again. And from my point, the sooner you'll turn Iran into Iraq the better for all the world. No one except USA can do this and no one will dare. The problem is that if and when you do this, the Russia will win anyway, both politically and economically. Thus this is the real problem. So it is better to crash the Iran from within, just like it had been done with USSR. Here I'm not an expert at all but it seems to me your politician forces are skillful enough to do so.

Switchstone

I didn't believe that 737 had been shoot down till the Iranian confession

Really? The speed at which Iran declared mechanical issues were the cause - even before an investigation had taken place - didn't cause you to scratch your head? The fact that no emergency was declared, no distress calls made, didn't start making you think that something was definitely up? The video of the plane becoming a ball of fire and falling from the night sky didn't seem even slightly unusual, and force you to think "you know what, maybe I shouldn't take what the Iranian media says as gospel?" When the Iranians brought out a bulldozer to assist in the cover-up investigation, and reports started coming out that pieces of the aircraft were starting to disappear, and that scavengers were starting to contaminate the scene, you still didn't believe that Iran hadn't shot it down, and was just, you know, lying to the world? Iran lying to save face, is it really that big a mental stretch?

Max the Mad Russian

Look, I just couldn't believe it is happening with namely Ukranian airplane. What the fuck this tiny nation, well, my nation being already under (Russian) pressure could do with Iran? I'd rather think of the IED aboard than missile just over Tehran... Even we the former Soviets have no such experience that gives the AAW systems to naturally fanatic paramilitary beyond the realm of formal military - NKVD/KGB had never had such solid weapon in hand. MH17 is another story since that Gadfly was surely manned by Russian regular military personnell on "special task". FSB may or may not have relation to its hidden delivering to the place but they knew it all no doubts

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor

TL;DR: POTUS directs the U.S. Navy to shoot IRGCN fast boats if harassing acts continue.

POTUS was later asked about the matter in a press conference, and confirmed his intent to authorize U.S. military force against Iranian small craft.

Max the Mad Russian

TL;DR: POTUS directs the U.S. Navy to shoot IRGCN fast boats if harassing acts continue.

POTUS was later asked about the matter in a press conference, and confirmed his intent to authorize U.S. military force against Iranian small craft.

Former Hornet pilot Kevin Miller's "Raven Ove" fiction book shows something similar by remembering "New Taranto": VFA skipper won the turf battle between him and CAG to hit the base of those Iranian MGBs with cluster bombs and LGBs instead of hunting them down at the sea. Eventually one of the Hornets in his section developed the failure of its LGBs to be ready for guiding and so skipper decided to drop the bombs in old fashion unguided in old good dive-bombing run, his Hornet en route ate AAA shell and crashed at the target in old good kamikaze method, though all LGBs turned iron bombs hit the mark perfectly. But this is the war...

In similar clashes of 1980s with Somalia/Eritrea homemade gunboats, Soviets choose to ram-attack those motored soapdishes on a full speed unless they open fire. The top speed of small ASW corvette of Project 205 is about 37 knots so the pursuit with subsequent ram hit was kinda Daytona car races. Since it is hardly agression, rather "ship-driving mistake which led to collision" in IR parlance, thus no international tensions:D

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Those ideas sound really, really odd.

If the U.S. Navy wants to destroy Iranian FAC/FIAC IVO SOH, it will happen in a manner so rapid and destructive that it will send the appropriate message to deter future IRGCN or IRN harassment. And that’s all I’ll say about it.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None

I sense my good deal PACOM exped deployment slipping away....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those ideas sound really, really odd.

If the U.S. Navy wants to destroy Iranian FAC/FIAC IVO SOH, it will happen in a manner so rapid and destructive that it will send the appropriate message to deter future IRGCN or IRN harassment. And that’s all I’ll say about it.
Is this a parody account?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Is this a parody account?
dd0.png