• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Dude, I’m drunk but that’s a video game
missile-command.gif

Oh man... I just remembered how much I fuckin used to gate this game 27+ years ago...

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I'm not sure I completely agree with that, but either way, the Constitution doesn't say the Congress shall have the power to declare war... unless they don't seem to be taking it very seriously, because if that's the case then fuck it, POTUS can do whatever he wants.

I would encourage you to look at some of the deliberations and debate that led up to the votes on the AUMF for Desert Storm, Afghanistan and OIF. They're on the CSPAN archives. I think you'll find that they were taking their responsibilities pretty seriously.
I don't doubt the same, I'm mainly talking about how it has evolved since then. I will look into the older debates. When those debates were happening I was between elementary school and high school. It's been 15 years or so. Today's Congress is definitely more partisan. As is the country. I honestly hope it stays that way as the only way I see that changing is another tragedy that brings us together (IE pearl harbor, 9-11, etc). And that would be worse than the "conflict" we are in now politically.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
9-11 brought us together but it didn't last long. The partisan divide towards the end of Bush's first term/early in his second was worse than Clinton's second term, then it got even worse under Obama, and now worse still under Trump. Whenever you think we've bottomed out then it gets even worse.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Congressional approval is not going to work for any kind of military action is time sensitive.

Further the Constitution gives Congress the right to declare war, nowhere does it say Congress has to approve any/every military action. It's also never been defined by a court when a declaration of war is needed. It's such a grey area and no one in either the executive or legislative branches has ever made a court challenge on this (or challenged the War Powers Act) because no one wants to have the responsibility. If the courts say you need Congressional approval and we take a massive hit/loss while the President tries for that approval, then whoever made the court challenge is going to get hammered politically. If the Courts say the President is CinC and therefore can take action unilaterally, whoever made that challenge will take massive political hits for limiting Congressional power/prerogative. As much as they bluster and point fingers, both sides are really happy with the status quo so they can play political games.

You can also bet your ass that there would never be any secrets or surprise if the President had to seek Congressional approval for every emergent/time sensitive military action. Too many members of Congress and staffers would know all the details long before the action was taken. There would be massive leaks so the bad guys would also know.

Courts also rely on past practices and precedents when laws such as the War Powers Act are vague. After all these years, I doubt the Courts would restrict the President if there were suddenly a lawsuit trying to restrict his military powers.

Congress has the ability to stop the President if there is really a Congressional will for no military action. I veto proof 2/3 vote in both chambers. This is probably a good thing as it would almost have to be bipartisan (unless there is a really big f'ed up majority by one party) so it would mean it was truly the will of Congress vice the will of the party with the most seats.

johnboyA6E

None
Dude, I’m drunk but that’s a video game

that is pretty awesome, have only ever seen really quick demos before

not to be a buzzkill but - don't those incoming look a lot more like cruise missiles than ballistic? and doesn't it look pretty light out for 1am in the middle of winter? of course, it could be a special lens on the camera and maybe that's what the terminal phase of a medium range ballistic missile looks like

in any case, R2D2 is terrifying

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
that is pretty awesome, have only ever seen really quick demos before

not to be a buzzkill but - don't those incoming look a lot more like cruise missiles than ballistic? and doesn't it look pretty light out for 1am in the middle of winter? of course, it could be a special lens on the camera and maybe that's what the terminal phase of a medium range ballistic missile looks like

in any case, R2D2 is terrifying
It’s footage from a video game.

taxi1

pilot
Congressional approval is not going to work for any kind of military action is time sensitive.

Further the Constitution gives Congress the right to declare war, nowhere does it say Congress has to approve any/every military action.
The funny thing is, the Executive seems to think it needed to justify the hit. They used the AUMF (justifying the invasion of Iraq!?!) to justify their hit on Soleimani, and on top of that they've gone through an embarrassing bunch of lies to argue it wasn't a revenge hit. Imminent attack, but they don't know when or where. Wait, it was four Embassies, although no one else in the government knew about that, including the SecDef. Which four? If it was imminent, how did killing S put a stop to it?

Congress should nut up and demand a role in this, and by Congress, I mean the American people who vote for Congress-folks. I odn't know what it is going to take for us citizens to demand a change to the recent status quo.

At the same time, maybe the shoot-down of the 737 and the Iranian lying afterward is the tipper for Iranian society to demand real reform.

johnboyA6E

None
It’s footage from a video game.
Hahaha
when i read "dude, i'm drunk but that's a video game" i took it as "dude, that's so sick it's like a video game" - haha. i'm too old to be up to speed on the quality of the new games, missile commander is more my speed, or maybe Contra (circa '91)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That’s what got me, I watched it on my phone. Went home and watched it on my laptop and it’s more obvious.
Don't feel bad. If you imagine me as an incoming missile that pretty much is the outcome of many of my pickup attempts back in the good old "find a girl at a bar" days!