• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone can just start a new one in the PNA . . . :)

taxi1

pilot
It's really surprising to me that we bagged the big man with this one...Several years ago a lot of our guys got hit by his EFPs along that road...
I was on the ground there in 2009, and remember talking with a guy as he showed me the hole in his armored vehicle that went in one side and out the other, the EFP passing right in front of his face (he was the driver), and thinking Q would be a good guy to take care of.

Glad to see him go. He was about as much of a one man show as you'll find over there, so if you were going to pick one piece to remove from the board, he'd be it. But not sure we've thought this one all the way through.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Humanity will not miss this guy. He has been a pain in the side of civilization for years. I hope Muqtada al-Sadr is wetting his bed as we read this.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
image4061139x.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe so... if CNO was working in a known combat zone, in a foreign country, and orchestrating many attacks including an attack on an embassy.
I'm speaking to the significance of Suleimani in the Iranian power structure, not to the legitimacy of the target.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy shit...the Jack Ryan Season 1 bad guy was Suleiman. Was that foretelling? Coincidence? Maybe? Maybe not....I'll let you decide. Truth is stranger than fiction.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Humanity will not miss this guy. He has been a pain in the side of civilization for years. I hope Muqtada al-Sadr is wetting his bed as we read this.
al_Sadr played a role in the assassination of many of his religious (Muslim) rivals and has spent a great deal of time in Iran, reportedly trying to bolster his religious status and eventually become an Ayatollah. I would put even odds that if he had a chance to rat out Suleimani for the west, he probably would. That's assuming he could gain in the long run, which he probably would. al-Sadr was a target on the 7th of December, so we are not the only one who thinks he needs to go away. I spent hours in bunkers waiting for his rocket and mortar attacks to end, picked up many of the victims of his EFPs, and flew over Najaf once a week in 2011. Flights to Najaf/Endeavor were my least favorite missions.

LOL. Had these shirts done up during a previous deployment. Just happened to have it at work today as a PT shirt.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Kind of a standard press release...

The Quds has been pulling this kind of stuff with us pretty much ever since the insurgency blew up fifteen years ago... and we hit them back when we could.

It's really surprising to me that we bagged the big man with this one. Surprising that we got him and surprising that we were bold enough to hit his convoy.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, this time he lost.

I wonder if he was driving on Route Irish when we hit him. Several years ago a lot of our guys got hit by his EFPs along that road... and a lot of his 107mm rockets (and sometimes larger) passed through that area on their way to his friends for them to shoot at us. That'd be pretty fitting.

????