• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran Fly-over

phrogpilot73

The multi-band radios are ARC-182s. The non-upgraded aircraft have older -159s, which are UHF only. On those aircraft w/ -159s, there's then a third radio installed (not noted in Natops, interestingly enough) that's a -182 w/ a old-style head unit.
Dude, get with the 90's!! :D

For what it's worth, before I started flying the Phrog - it had -182's (pre-CNCS days). They were even referenced in NATOPS, even though they had long been removed. I haven't read the big blue sleeping pill since refreshing, so I'd have to look and see if that's still the case.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Whatever happened to: "I'm a coalition aircraft operating in international airspace in accordance with international law" as per the SPINS? I guess being an unusually slow aircraft with no offensive weapons makes us more vulnerable than the pointy nosed guys... and therefore, we don't get to fuck around as much with those bastards...

That didn't work in "Iron Eagle"!

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Because when you're in an RI sim, and you don't change freq's at the point ATC told you, and you make calls with no response, you'll be confused. Then when you still don't get it, you'll hear " NAVY 7G735, This is NAVY CORPUS TOWER ON GUARD! SWITCH BUTTON 4! ...." And then you'll quickly realize you just got a 3 on radio procedures and possibly headwork. ;)

or so I was told... :watching3
Wow, someone had Mr. S. one too many times I see....:icon_tong

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently the AF also owns "five fingers" (123.45). We were using it as a common freq for vertrep 150 miles off the coast and were told that it was an AF tactical freq. Right. Shut up. Send the radio police after me.

Please tell me you proceeded to clobber the frequency with nonsense...

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark..."

"owning" 123.45..............riiiight

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Right. Shut up. Send the radio police after me.

Well... they DID to this guy:

stern.jpg

;)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
The little I've heard Howard on Sirius.....He's pathetic compared to what he was 10-15 years ago.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Do you guys have the ARC-210 in the 60B? I know that the radio is capable of monitoring both UHF and VHF guard simultaneously. In the 46, we normally operate the radios in TR+G (transmit/receive/guard) on the CDNU and it's monitoring both flavors of guard. Not to mention that we can scan up to 5 freqs per radio, and it can be either UHF or VHF. Of course, if you're using SINCGARS/HAVEQUICK - you can't scan multiple freqs, and then I think it only monitors the respective guard freq (VHF or UHF respectively).

The -60S and -60R have the ARC-210's ... nice setup, indeed ... now if they could just move the RCU somewhere more useful ... (right now it sits so far back on the center console that the guys in the gunner's windows have better access to it than the pilots) The best part is you don't have to tell the radio what mode to be in (ie. UHF, VHF, etc.) ... you just punch in the freq and it does the rest for ya!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The best part is you don't have to tell the radio what mode to be in (ie. UHF, VHF, etc.) ... you just punch in the freq and it does the rest for ya!

Same w/ the -182s. You just punch in the numbers on the '80's TRS-80 like keypad and it figures it out.