• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran Fly-over

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Apparently the AF also owns "five fingers" (123.45). We were using it as a common freq for vertrep 150 miles off the coast and were told that it was an AF tactical freq. Right. Shut up. Send the radio police after me.

Must have been Viper fags. Eagles all use UHF freqs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
(Hint: our UHF radio has a "both" setting which allows you to T/R on your selected channel/freq and also "listen" in on guard (121.5/243). You're pretty much always gonna be on both unless ENS schmuckatelli planted it on 13L and his beacon is screaming in your ear)

If you're still talking T-34...your "UHF" doesn't actually monitor 121.5. If it did, it'd be called a "VHF."

There are also some radios out there (like in the -60B) that can only listen to the particular band you're in while in BOTH, so if you're on an aviation VHF freq, it'll listen to 121.5. UHF, 243.0. But if you're monitoring a Marine VHF freq, it will only hear 156.8. And so on.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you're still talking T-34...your "UHF" doesn't actually monitor 121.5. If it did, it'd be called a "VHF."

There are also some radios out there (like in the -60B) that can only listen to the particular band you're in while in BOTH, so if you're on an aviation VHF freq, it'll listen to 121.5. UHF, 243.0. But if you're monitoring a Marine VHF freq, it will only hear 156.8. And so on.

Roger. I just used the parentheses to define guard as both 121.5/243 for those not in the know. Obviously UHF is listening to 243. Didn't know about the 60 radio function. Thanks for the gouge.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Roger. I just used the parentheses to define guard as both 121.5/243 for those not in the know. Obviously UHF is listening to 243. Didn't know about the 60 radio function. Thanks for the gouge.

I gotcha. And I wasn't completely sure you weren't talking about the -57, which I can't remember the details about. It might be a dual-band Guard radio. Just putting out more info.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I gotcha. And I wasn't completely sure you weren't talking about the -57, which I can't remember the details about. It might be a dual-band Guard radio. Just putting out more info.

Ya, I'm not sure which, if any, radios receive both bands or not.

I was under the impression, however, that when ATC makes a call (guard or any other freq with a UHF/VFH band) they transmit on both.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ya, I'm not sure which, if any, radios receive both bands or not.

I was under the impression, however, that when ATC makes a call (guard or any other freq with a UHF/VFH band) they transmit on both.

FAA ATC, yes. Military ATC? Probably a crap shoot depending on who's making the call. I'm guessing Whiting Tower never made their 99 calls on VHF. The problem I've seen is if you only have one band available, the range for the Guard call may not be optimum.

Month or so back while making the trip to lovely Montgomery, AL, our one crappy VHF died on us (in the -60B). We had no backup UHF freq to call, so I went out on UHF Guard. No response on either radio. When we finally got back w/ TLH approach, I asked if they heard our call and they said no, but Moody (or whatever they're called up there) did. Great, glad lost comm procedures work so well.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Heard one night in the NAG from a USAF KC-135 on Guard:

Iranian IADS: "Unknown aircraft, unknown aircraft, at poistion umpty fratz, this is blah blah, identify yourself"

KC-135: "I'd like a large slurpee, double chili cheese dog, and two scratch of tickets. And we're in a hurry"

Raptor2216

Heard one night in the NAG from a USAF KC-135 on Guard:

Iranian IADS: "Unknown aircraft, unknown aircraft, at poistion umpty fratz, this is blah blah, identify yourself"

KC-135: "I'd like a large slurpee, double chili cheese dog, and two scratch of tickets. And we're in a hurry"

The only way to out-do that crew would be to respond with all that and the accent and I might even add a derka-derak to embellish it.

LivinMyDream

pilot
Whatever happened to: "I'm a coalition aircraft operating in international airspace in accordance with international law" as per the SPINS? I guess being an unusually slow aircraft with no offensive weapons makes us more vulnerable than the pointy nosed guys... and therefore, we don't get to fuck around as much with those bastards...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Whatever happened to: "I'm a coalition aircraft operating in international airspace in accordance with international law" as per the SPINS? I guess being an unusually slow aircraft with no offensive weapons makes us more vulnerable than the pointy nosed guys... and therefore, we don't get to fuck around as much with those bastards...

whatever happened to having some fun?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

What we have here ladies and gentlemen is a future VP department head. Please don't try and convince him to remove the stick from his ass, it is permanent. ;)

LivinMyDream

pilot
What we have here ladies and gentlemen is a future VP department head. Please don't try and convince him to remove the stick from his ass, it is permanent. ;)

Harsh! I was trying to let the uninformed know the "standard" response, lest they think that we (coalition aircraft) all say/do whatever we want up in the operating area. I, personally, would love to have a little fun--but as a 3P I can't. The hinges get mad when I am less than serious!

phrogpilot73

Month or so back while making the trip to lovely Montgomery, AL, our one crappy VHF died on us (in the -60B). We had no backup UHF freq to call, so I went out on UHF Guard. No response on either radio. When we finally got back w/ TLH approach, I asked if they heard our call and they said no, but Moody (or whatever they're called up there) did. Great, glad lost comm procedures work so well.
Do you guys have the ARC-210 in the 60B? I know that the radio is capable of monitoring both UHF and VHF guard simultaneously. In the 46, we normally operate the radios in TR+G (transmit/receive/guard) on the CDNU and it's monitoring both flavors of guard. Not to mention that we can scan up to 5 freqs per radio, and it can be either UHF or VHF. Of course, if you're using SINCGARS/HAVEQUICK - you can't scan multiple freqs, and then I think it only monitors the respective guard freq (VHF or UHF respectively).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The multi-band radios are ARC-182s. The non-upgraded aircraft have older -159s, which are UHF only. On those aircraft w/ -159s, there's then a third radio installed (not noted in Natops, interestingly enough) that's a -182 w/ a old-style head unit.