• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran Fly-over

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Makin it's rounds in the e-mail arena:

In addition to communicating with the local air traffic control facility, aircraft are required to give Iranian Air Defense Radar (military) a ten minute "heads up" that they will be transiting Iranian airspace. This is a common procedure for commercial aircraft and involves giving them your call sign, transponder code, type aircraft, and points of origin and destination.

I just heard from a guy who overheard this conversation on the emergency frequency 121.5 MHz while flying from Europe to Dubai. It's too good not to pass along. The conversation went something like this ...

Air Defense Radar: "Unknown aircraft at (location unknown), you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself."

Aircraft: "This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace."

Air Defense Radar: "You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!"

Aircraft: "This is a United States Marine fighter. Send 'em up!"

Bevo16

pilot
My squadron was in CAG-9, and which included VMFA-323. Having the Marines on board was never a bad thing. They brought a unique perspective to the briefs, and every one of those guys was 100% professional all the way (on the boat anyway, liberty was a nightmare).

It's no secret that we patrol along the international side of the "black line" and that there are some differences in opinion regarding where the exact line should be. "Freedom of navagation" flights were on the airplan every so often just to make our side of the point. I have no doubt that the story is true.

exo

mtsupilot09,

Pilot's are asked to keep 121.5 open all the time to listen in in case someone has an emergency. GA pilot's typically don't however... big jets with big expensive radios, probably a lot easier for them to do so.

Bevo16

pilot
Why were they communication on 121.5? Was there an emergency?

Only for the Iranians.

Guard frequencies are not just for when you have an in flight emergency. It's ATC's "lifeline" to get in touch with you regardless of your assigned frequency.

It's also know as "base" in the Air Force.

UMichfly

pilot
None

Because if you F' something up seriously (like crossing an international boundary..or some crazy Iranian's perception of said boundary) and ATC can't get you on another freq', they call you on guard. It's also useful for finding out what tee times are available at Eglin...or so I've gathered from the zoomies around here. :D

edit: Balls, Bevo beat me to it by 2 minutes...even with the requisite Air Force common joke...

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
It's also know as "base" in the Air Force.

If that's supposed to be a dig...you're gonna have to translate that out of Navy-speak.

"Clear the duty, taxi to my line," "99 aircraft," and all that kind of stuff. No f*cking clue what "base" is. "Guard" I understand. "Discrete" I get. But not "base".

Besides...what USMC fighters are monitoring 121.5 and not 243.0 like the rest of the military? Hot dog red!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If that's supposed to be a dig...you're gonna have to translate that out of Navy-speak.

"Clear the duty, taxi to my line," "99 aircraft," and all that kind of stuff. No f*cking clue what "base" is. "Guard" I understand. "Discrete" I get. But not "base".

Besides...what USMC fighters are monitoring 121.5 and not 243.0 like the rest of the military? Hot dog red!

'Base' is what we call the freq we use to talk to our squadron maintenance and duty guys.

The joke, we never use guard except for no shit emergencies, USAF guys on the other hand.......;)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
The joke, we never use guard except for no shit emergencies, USAF guys on the other hand.......;)

You know, I've heard the "Navy common" jokes and all that crap over the years, and apparently you guys poke the same stick back at the AF just as much.

It's usually ATC that is yammering on and on needlessly over Guard more than any military aircraft from any of the services.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
You know, I've heard the "Navy common" jokes and all that crap over the years, and apparently you guys poke the same stick back at the AF just as much.
Confession: I (know someone) who checked a make-believe FL ANG F-15 flight in on guard and told my "wingman" to switch Sea Lord.:D

Pags

N/A
pilot
Apparently the AF also owns "five fingers" (123.45). We were using it as a common freq for vertrep 150 miles off the coast and were told that it was an AF tactical freq. Right. Shut up. Send the radio police after me.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Because when you're in an RI sim, and you don't change freq's at the point ATC told you, and you make calls with no response, you'll be confused. Then when you still don't get it, you'll hear " NAVY 7G735, This is NAVY CORPUS TOWER ON GUARD! SWITCH BUTTON 4! ...." And then you'll quickly realize you just got a 3 on radio procedures and possibly headwork. ;)

or so I was told... :watching3

(Hint: our UHF radio has a "both" setting which allows you to T/R on your selected channel/freq and also "listen" in on guard (121.5/243). You're pretty much always gonna be on both unless ENS schmuckatelli planted it on 13L and his beacon is screaming in your ear)