• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IPad ... quo vadis ???

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
FWIW, I've heard credible stories of helo pilots using iPads digital maps IN PLACE OF paper maps, in theater, purchased on DOD's dime. New app idea: iWar.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, I've heard credible stories of helo pilots using iPads digital maps IN PLACE OF paper maps, in theater, purchased on DOD's dime. New app idea: iWar.

There was an article in one of the AOPA mags (I think) a few months back about a guy who had an old piston single (Piper Cub, mebbe?) that he pulled all the steam gauges out of and used the iPad as a glass cockpit, with color moving map and GPS. Then, when he landed, he pulled it out of it's mount and used it as his rental car GPS.

It'd be just my luck that I'd be shooting a paperless approach in the goo, down to mins and get that popup notification it's my turn in Words w/Friends. ;)

My wife actually just got handed one at work and told to come up with an elementary school iPad-based curriculm. It seems the State of Hawaii school system has decided iPads will make students learn better, so they bought a truckload of them but nobody actually knows what to do with them in the classroom.

It's actually kind of sickening how much my house now looks like an Apple store. . .

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, I've heard credible stories of helo pilots using iPads digital maps IN PLACE OF paper maps, in theater, purchased on DOD's dime ...
'Credible' is the watch-word ... I tested a similar system in the middle '90s on the WHALE and it was about the same dimensions (mebbe a little more 'rectangle') as an iPad ... it was made by ISIS of Israel and the early versions were very, very user friendly. In concept and in (early-test) practice, it would have replaced OUR ENTIRE 'BRAIN-BAG'/FLIGHT BAG of flight pubs and eliminated the need for updates ... it also included moving map displays and system-wide approaches and the entire ship's EMERG/ABNORMAL libraries. NICE !!

The idea was to use it
on the earlier steam-gauge B747 -100s and -200s as a poor-man's version of the later follow on FMS systems found in 'glass cockpits'.

The company didn't buy it because of $$$$ ... so they continued to spend more in the aggregate than the retro-fit would have cost. I also did the numbers, so I know this is true. Politics, turf battles, and short-sighted mouth-breathing office dwellers killed an otherwise outstanding upgrade.

** OH YEAH -- the pretty, smiley Israeli girls who accompanied the 'team' were outstanding looking little Sabras, too !! :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... seems the State of Hawaii school system has decided iPads will make students learn better, so they bought a truckload of them but nobody actually knows what to do with them in the classroom....
Right: that's classic -- iPads will make the difference !!!

I wonder if Apple has a waterproof version that will work on 'da board when you cut class and go to 'da beach ???

Funny how the Territory just keeps puttin' band-aids on their education problem. And they always have, ever since my first-hand exposure to the Moke public education system back in the '50s, when we discovered 'da Territory was 1-2 years BEHIND their Mainland counterparts ...
:)

/threadjack ...

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
I have a 32GB iPhone with all of my music on it. Because of that I got the 16GB iPad for pictures, surfing the web and loading a few movies. I can put 4-5 movies on there. I have a few small games as well. I got the wi-fi only version for a couple of reasons. The first is that I have the iPhone with 3G so if I need email outside of a wi-fi spot then I have it. The other reason is that I picked up a Virgin Mobile MiFi. I like that better than AT&T's 3G plan for the iPad because you can buy $10 worth for 10 days instead of 30 days. Also, you can get unlimited data for $40 per month with no contract compared to the 2GB of data for $30 with AT&T - depends on how much you plan on using.

I ditched my laptop and bought a desktop. The iPad is what I travel with. I can remotely access my desktop with my iPhone and my iPad using a service called LogMeIn. The app is pricey, but the service is free to use. I have found this set up to be pretty slick for my purposes.

Ralph

How many hours does the date plan with ATT equate to? I'm not tech savy at all, is it possible to get unlimited data for free from other sources?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I'm still confused about why you want to pay extra for the 3G service... Doesnt the nursing home have WiFi?

I KEED I KEED... :D

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The AT&T unlimited plan stopped being offered earlier this year. Fortunatly, I got my iPad the day prior!

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Not so much for the iPad, but my wife and I have had unlimited data plans for our blackberries for a few years now. She opted out for the iPhone, and they let her unlimited plan carry over.

Yesterday was the first tine I used my laptop in a week. For some reason, an attachment didn't make the exodus to to my iPad, and I had to look it up.

Does anyone use mobile me? That was one of the the hard-sell options the people at the apple store were pushing, and I've never bothered to try it out. (Didn't buy it, either.) I get it, in concept, but how about in practice?

phrogpilot73

Does anyone use mobile me? That was one of the the hard-sell options the people at the apple store were pushing, and I've never bothered to try it out. (Didn't buy it, either.) I get it, in concept, but how about in practice?
fc2spyguy does. He was able to track his phone all around Bush Gardens when he lost it, never recovered it - but he could watch it move from guest services to maintenance, until the battery died and his insurance bought him a new one.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got MobileMe & I like it. Synchs all my contacts & calendars between my laptop, iPad & iPhone. It also has online storage that I can save files to and access anywhere. Comes in handy Being able to open a reference from the phone.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Got my 'scratch & sniff' card in the mail today ... so tomorrow I strike.

It will be mine ... oh, yes ... it will be mine.

waynesworldl.jpg

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
I also have MobileMe for my personal stuff. It is pretty nice to have the computer, iPad, and iPhone all sync with one another when you update one of them. The online file storage comes in handy on occasion as well as the picture hosting. The ability to track your iPhone is nice too.