• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IPad ... quo vadis ???

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I don't think this has been covered, but has anyone else noticed that it seems to take a hell of a long time to charge the iPad? I only noticed because my 3-year old is addicted to Angry Birds on ours and when it dies, it's going to be another 8-10 hours before we can get a full charge on it, again. 8-10 hours is an eternity with a pissed off 3-year old.

Also, my car charger for my iPhone won't charge the iPad. I'm guessing it's not enough juice. That sucks on road trips.

Otherwise, it's kind of a neat toy. I have no use for one in the business world, but the wife and kids like it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ Are you using the iPad charger or an iPhone one? The iPad is basically all battery and uses a higher amp charger than your standard iPhone. An iphone one will keep it on life support, but not charge well. But on a full charge, you should be getting 8-10 hrs of use.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I've been getting around 14+ hours out of mine, and it charges pretty quickly. I drove back from Orlando a few weeks ago, and my wife's iPhone charger (used via the USB slot on my blackberry car charger) worked fine to top the iPad off.

Also, if anyone's wondering, Apple is set to release iOS 4.2 sometime today, which is supposed to bring multi-tasking support and other features to the iPad, and possibly a free version of the "find my iphone" to all compatible devices. So sayeth www.macrumors.com, anyway.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
^^ Are you using the iPad charger or an iPhone one? The iPad is basically all battery and uses a higher amp charger than your standard iPhone. An iphone one will keep it on life support, but not charge well. But on a full charge, you should be getting 8-10 hrs of use.

Well, with that said, I look like an asshole. I think I'm using an iPhone charger. We have all kinds of iShit at our house and have chargers running out the ass. I suppose we just used whatever was plugged into the wall at the moment.

Do they make an iPad charger for the car?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I just use my cable in either my blackberry charger USB, or the VW supplied USB port, and it works great.

Edit: Multi-tasking in iOS 4.2 is awesome.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So iPad owners . . . if you had to be holed up on a boat with either an iPad or a laptop, which one and why?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, with that said, I look like an asshole. I think I'm using an iPhone charger. We have all kinds of iShit at our house and have chargers running out the ass. I suppose we just used whatever was plugged into the wall at the moment.

Do they make an iPad charger for the car?

Gotta use the right one. Doesn't make you an asshole, chalk it up to a below in SA.

There are several after market chargers that claim to work in your car or just get an inverter.

I also recommend the iPad extended charging cable available at Your friendly Apple Store.

That said, I picked up a Galaxy Tab on my way out of town (to OBX for the week). Still getting to know amidst vacation activity, but makes me wish Apple had a 7" screen.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone here used the Ipad for civilian flying? I was flipping through some pilot magazines on my flight and read about several ipad apps that provide moving map and moving approach plate subscription services that utilize the iPad Gps combined with the FAA approved georef database. I also saw an IPad knee strap.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I've heard tell of people doing just that.

In the past few days, I've been messing with a couple of ballistic apps. It kinda feels like cheating, but holy mother of god, did it cut down on my ammo use.

OscarMyers

None
Has anyone here used the Ipad for civilian flying? I was flipping through some pilot magazines on my flight and read about several ipad apps that provide moving map and moving approach plate subscription services that utilize the iPad Gps combined with the FAA approved georef database. I also saw an IPad knee strap.

I have ForeFlight on my ipad, the flight planning and chart set up is pretty sweet. You can use it free all day long with an internet connection, but if you want to download plates and charts to your ipad you have to subscribe. If you have a data plan you can download most of that stuff as you need it. Not sure how reliable the data plan is in the cockpit. Its $24 for three months or i think $75 for a year. Its free to download so you can give it a whirl.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
New iPads are announced! http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Took all I had not to bust out the credit card this afternoon and spend my perdiem check before it comes. Just want to see what iOS 5 looks like. I think a lot of the cool new stuff will revolve around that. Only so much you can do with the hardware now, a lot of the innovation is on the software side.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Getting one. It's finally got a face time camera, which is what I was waiting for. I'll probably pass on the 3G...anyone have one with it and thoughts?

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
I have one with 3G but I have yet to set up a plan since I use it mostly around the house. I use my iPhone for on the go type stuff. But I like to have the 3G available on the iPad just in case I ever really need it. In retrospect though, wifi is available pretty much anywhere nowadays, and I could have saved myself some change.