• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IPad ... quo vadis ???

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
HeyJoe, just a note on the iPad's 3G. It's pay as you go, no contract required. So if you need it one month for a lot of traveling, order it up. It's a common misconception since most devices require a contract.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HeyJoe, just a note on the iPad's 3G. It's pay as you go, no contract required. So if you need it one month for a lot of traveling, order it up. It's a common misconception since most devices require a contract.

My provider offered unlimited at $30/month but I committed to wireless anyway since I snapped up a DroidX that has a hotspot feature so I can connect my Vaio, Toughbook, Netbook, IPad or whatever my companions are carrying.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Got one for my birthday...love it. Great for surfing interwebs, checking e-mails, watching movies, listening to music (HUGE fan of Pandora on-line radio station), and reading books. Battery life is extraordinary, as HJ said. And none of this:

rr07-jl-lewis.jpg

...as it stays cool in your lap. As for cases: I like Cinema case from Piel Frama-it is really lux (damn it, you're worth it), and it does a good viewing and typing mode.

Buy it from cases.com if you like it...much cheaper than direct from Spain (around $135).

Piel-Frama-Cinema-Case.png

phrogpilot73

HeyJoe - jailbreak your iPhone 4, then buy MyWi for $19.99. Turns your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot with no more monthly fees from AT&T. Just don't go over you cap (I'm still on the grandfathered unlimited plan).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HeyJoe - jailbreak your iPhone 4, then buy MyWi for $19.99. Turns your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot with no more monthly fees from AT&T. Just don't go over you cap (I'm still on the grandfathered unlimited plan).

I'm just over having calls go stupid when proximity switch fails to hand mode and pressing of phone to ear activates mute, hold, numbers. My 3G and 3Gs didn't have those issues so I reactivated a 3Gs as my primary and use iPhone4 for email traffic and iPod transmitter in vehicle mount. Since I put my iPhones in Otter boxes, it's hard to tell what's under the hood. Not Apple's finest hour and they arent trying to fix it, just endure complaints until 5 comes on line.

phrogpilot73

I'm just over having calls go stupid when proximity switch fails to hand mode and pressing of phone to ear activates mute, hold, numbers. My 3G and 3Gs didn't have those issues so I reactivated a 3Gs as my primary and use iPhone4 for email traffic and iPod transmitter in vehicle mount. Since I put my iPhones in Otter boxes, it's hard to tell what's under the hood. Not Apple's finest hour and they arent trying to fix it, just endure complaints until 5 comes on line.
Yeah, the proximity switch on the 4 is a pain in the ass. I use bluetooth a lot, so I don't notice it as much. I did notice that it's not as bad with the 4.1 software upgrade, I'm not expecting that it'll be fixed in 4.2... You can still jailbreak your 3GS and turn it into a WiFi hotspot for your iPad/laptop. I personally can't have an iPhone that's not jailbroken...

OscarMyers

None
A4s,

I tried to excercise restraint when this thing came out but some home apple managed to sell me one. When i got to riddle, this thing was like my second brain. I have all my flight pubs on it, way to many weather apps and some great news apps. If your a netflix junkie they have an app thats reallly only worth a damn on WiFi. The aviation industry is coming around and theres a few solid flight planning apps out there. Granted its an oversized Iphone and you probably wont carry it everywhere unless you have a murse. But certainly replaces having that TV tray infront of the couch to get your Ebay fix or check the email. In hindsight i might have rethought getting the 3G because of those mobile hotspots you can get from cell phone companies. Rumor was since the Ipad 3g is GSM unlocked other companies would make a sim card small enough to fit in it. Still waiting on that one. Hope that helps.

If anyone is on words with friends im jetjockey105 on there, feel free to add me.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Hope that helps ....
It does, and MAHALO to all of you who've provided input to date. It's appreciated.

I use iTunes for the iPhone (of course) and I hate it. I suppose this will be the PC interface w/ an iPad ??

Will the iPad sync with MS Outlook 2007??

One BIG question: should I wait 'for Christmas' (or later) for the next iteration?? I'm thinkin' mostly for USB (and what else?) which would be nice instead of the current 'dock' port -- don't care about a camera on a 'tablet' computer, as I'm not going to hold up a 'slab' to take a picture anytime soon ...

But: will multi-tasking, perhaps a 16:9 aspect ratio, a different interface, books/newspapers/magazines be present in a next iPad iteration ???

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm holding off until there's a camera and USB. The isight on my laptop is pretty awesome, but as far as neato toys go, the ipad is next on my list when it has the capability to support skyping / iChatting. Using those to check in with home plate is a pretty sweet perk of being a child (or ole ha'ole man) of the digital age.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
It does, and MAHALO to all of you who've provided input to date. It's appreciated.

I use iTunes for the iPhone (of course) and I hate it. I suppose this will be the PC interface w/ an iPad ??

One BIG question: should I wait 'for Christmas' (or later) for the next iteration?? I'm thinkin' mostly for USB (and what else?) which would be nice instead of the current 'dock' port -- don't care about a camera on a 'tablet' computer, as I'm not going to hold up a 'slab' to take a picture anytime soon ...

But: will multi-tasking, perhaps a 16:9 aspect ratio, a different interface, books/newspapers/magazines be present in a next iPad iteration ???

Not sure about some of your questions, but there is supposed to be a fix coming shortly for the multi-tasking, and you can get books/newspapers/magazines right now...I get the NY Times every day with mine (but you knew that, didn't you;))

Food for thought: I have the 64G WiFi/3G, as when my wife asked me months ago (innocently) which she should recommend for a friend I quickly said "I've never wished I had less capacity in my iPod".

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Something to keep in mind is that Amazon builds it's eReader for other apps than just it's own Kindle. So you can download the Kindle app for the iPad and then read all that stuff through their reader/subscription rather than relying on Apple's anemic bookstore. Publishers/authors really aren't motivated to make deals w/Apple for their book store when the Amazon model already works for them through the Kindle. And almost everything is on the Kindle system (and therefore available through the Kindle App on the iPad/iPhone/Touch).

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Multitasking will come to the current iPad with iOS 4.2, coming out this month. Free update.

If I had to hazard a guess on what the next iteration is: Same screen size, probably better (high res) display though, front and rear camera for FaceTime, faster guts, bigger battery, maybe updated external design to make it lighter. Iteration moreso than revolution. The current version has a USB adapter, but it's only used for cameras and interfacing with music devices. What else do you need a USB port for on the actual iPad? Oh, and anticipate an April release for that version, keeping with Apple's yearly release cycles.

The iPad will sync with you computer exactly as your iPhone does now. iTunes and USB. Same same for email/calendar/contacts from outlook if that's how your iPhone is setup now.

As for content, I think you'll see constantly improving options as it goes on. They've sold 8 million of these things and the momentum is only getting stronger.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
If I had to hazard a guess on what the next iteration is: Same screen size, probably better (high res) display though, front and rear camera for FaceTime, faster guts, bigger battery, maybe updated external design to make it lighter. Iteration moreso than revolution. The current version has a USB adapter, but it's only used for cameras and interfacing with music devices. What else do you need a USB port for on the actual iPad? Oh, and anticipate an April release for that version, keeping with Apple's yearly release cycles.

From what I've read by Googling "iphone 2", you're pretty much spot on. It'll be lighter, with all the same features + camera and USB. I was told I was getting an iPad for Christmas, but I'm going to try to postpone it until iPad 2 comes out. It's just going to be that much better.

Also, the reviews on it (per 2 Goldman-Sachs analysts) basically say it will crush the competition, mostly because it's the 2.0 vs 1.0 deal. The added bonus of being an early adopter of an upgraded (read: "fixed") tech piece is always fun. Who doesn't love being the kid with the coolest toy?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
For A4's:
Yes, you must use iTunes at least once in a while for software updates. E-mail and App updates come direct to iPad.
iPad syncs with Outlook 2007 like a champ. I had to drop the Outlook Web Acess app in it, but I hear tell that's not required.

I've even heard tell that people are getting CAC sites and Navy e-mail to work on it. . .

And Netflix= another great reason to have iPad when you travel (and with a MacTV or the $50 HDMI cable it's basically eliminated my need to buy DVD's)

iPad 2: rumored to be unveiled in January.

-Two sizes: one that is same as now, and a smaller one w/ a 7 inch screen.
-Front and back cameras are all but a guarantee
-USB is rumored
-Retina Display

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
^^ Doubtful on the seven inch version. Jobs lambasted the seven inch tablets on their earnings call for being unusable due to size. Comma, but, El Stevo has called things stupid and then done it later before. But who knows? If I had a crystal ball I'd be a millionaire instead of a nerdy SNA.