• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IPad ... quo vadis ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
O.K. ...

I'm relatively IPhone-savvy ... and I did a web search on IPads (and got some info, but not enough to sleep soundly at night) and did a 'search' on AW's that basically resulted in butkis ... as a result, I still think I'm going to pull the plug and go 'downtown' on a IPad .... sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ....

Let me openly ask the USN/USMC geeks/nerds/Aviators/NFOs ...

Memory??
Wi-Fi?? (I think I get most of that, but feel free to 'enlighten' an ol' man)
Bluetooth??? (same ... )
Accessories???
Cost of service??? (I think it will bump my AT&T $30/mo)

Mucho ALOHA in advance ...
:)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
iPads are cool if you are a consumer of web content vice a producer. They are a very slick interface and package and if I lived in a "always connected" environment I'd be all over it. As far as the $/month - it's a wash, you're going to connect more and use more and suck it up.

Course I just spent way more on a new car than I ever have thought possible because I just damn wanted to. Does the monthly bill hurt? Suck it up, rub some dirt on it and move on -- old school, we deserve it. :)

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
The iPad is a great device for browsing the web on the go, reading books, watching videos, or listening to music. There are also a few games out there that make it great for killing time.

Memory:
If you're going to be watching a lot of videos or listening to a lot of music you've purchased through iTunes, then the 64GB model will likely be what you want.
If you plan on primarily browsing the web, with an occasional video or song every now and then, the 16GB may be more than enough for you. It's all on what you plan on doing with the device.

WiFi:
The iPad comes in two distinct flavors. The WiFi only, and the 3G/WiFi model. The 3G version will allow you to browse the interwebs from anywhere your iPhone gets a signal. Personally, I would get the WiFi only model, and pair it with something like THIS. This will allow you to connect up to 4 devices at any time to browse the internet, with unlimited data (I watch a lot of Netflix movies using mine). This also means you can connect your laptop to the internet as well while you're on the go.

Bluetooth:
An included capability on both your iPhone and the iPad. This will enable you to primarily connect to headphones and headsets. There are a few cool new features for the iPad though...for instance, the iPad will let you connect with a bluetooth keyboard. That means, you can use it more like a laptop if you want to tote around a portable bluetooth keyboard. (Kind of a novelty, if you ask me. I prefer to type on a laptop)

Accessories:
You'll probably want a case/protector to keep your investment safe. Also, I have a nice pair of bluetooth headphones that make it wonderful to be able to use my iPhone without any cables hooked in to it. This might be a good investment for you. Other than that, I would say use the device for a little while, and see what you might want. There's a lot of useless crap that's sold for apples 'i' lineup.

Pricing:
AT&T is really the only reason I have yet to purchase a new iPhone. I'm holding out for Verizon...My fingers are crossed! The pricing information is on their website, but $30 per month will get you started, as long as you don't go over their data cap.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
My wife bought me one last week, and typing this on it.

I haven't even begun to learn all the finer points of it, but Ive only used my laptop twice in the week I've had it. It's definitely not a laptop replacement, but I've been doing everything from reading and surfing airwarriors, to booking travel and tracking flights on it. With multiple delays and gate changes yesterday alone, the flight tracker app, which is updated waaaaay faster than the boards in Charlotte, has already paid for itself. I like it, but Pugs is right about it being a consumer, vice producer, tool.

The data plan is separate from any ATT account, and is pay-as-you-go. There's no unlimited option for bandwidth, but even with travel, I'm not even close to being on track to busting my 2GB limit for the month.

There's a Bluetooth option in my settings, but I haven't had a chance to see if it works, or how well. It would be nice to use my Mac Bluetooth keyboard and track pad with it for longer typing sessions, though.

I have the 64GB, 3G and wifi enabled one, with the basic Apple case for it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Reccomend the 16GB wifi + 3G. 3G is pay as you go for when you need it (hopefully not often). iOS 4.2 is almost out which greatly enhances what the iPad offers. It's an awesome beast no doubt. I'm waiting for the next gen in the spring.

yak52driver

Contributor
I have been using one lately, neat technology. The biggest thing for me to get used to is typing on the "keyboard" without brushing across keys I didn't intend to. Apple is a master this type of technology, it's very much like a bigger, better iPhone. I've use it wiht bot wi-fi and 3G cards. 3G is much slower, but still works well. My .02.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have been using one lately ... wiht bot .... My .02.
"wiht bot" ... ???

Yes !!! That's RIGHT !!! AMEN !!! THANK YOU JESUS !!!

Sorry ... got a little carried away .... but still, I can see it will work 'well' (?) for a touch-typist.

Wiht bot greht alpakaka :)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I bought one during a super sale at teh NEX back in July.

32GB, WiFi and 3g

I love it. Great for taking a stack of movies, music, books, and flight pubs on the road. E-mail and internet capability pretty much everywhere, and access to Apps, for those of us who don't have iPhone for that. Fair for editing documents, writing, making powerpoints. It's more of a viewer/display input than a producer.

Wifi= wireless internet (like at Starbucks, McD's, most hotels better than a motel 6, etc)

3g=cell phone internet. The nice part is you pay month to month; no contract. So, if you don't need it one month, don't buy it. Re-up anytime. It's money on dets; I never pay for it while at home.

Bluetooth= short range wireless connection to things like mice, printers, keyboards. headphones. Works great with everything I've paired to it.

TWO BIG COMPLAINTS: no USB, and no camera. If these aren't deal breakers: go for it. IF they are: the new ones will be out in January. With both of these features.

yak52driver

Contributor
"wiht bot" ... ???

Yes !!! That's RIGHT !!! AMEN !!! THANK YOU JESUS !!!

Sorry ... got a little carried away .... but still, I can see it will work 'well' (?) for a touch-typist.

Wiht bot greht alpakaka :)

As you have seen, I have enough trouble typing on a normal keyboard! :)

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
This is also being written from an iPad. Since I already had a Verizon MiFi, I didn't get the 3G version, and where I live in BFE Wyoming AT&T only has the Edge network ... and Verizon has 3G. Right now Verizon is bundling the MiFi with the iPad, so you might think of that setup, plus you can support four more devices at one time with the MiFi.

The previous posts are spot on about it being a consumer device and not a creation device. Some limited USB functionality can be gained by buying the Apple camera connection kit. Most USB drivers are not in the operating system, but some regarding sound/recording apps are.

It hasn't replaced my laptop, but it sure supplements it. Instant on and ready for e-mail and (Flashless) web surfing.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
A4s, I figured I could relate this to you via my father's experience (he's a pilot for one of the major cargo carriers, so hopefully it'll jive with your salty airline outlook):

He f*#@ing loves his iPad. He went from carrying a small macbook to just taking his iPad on trips with him. As other stated, you can get WiFi just about anywhere, which is a HUGE plus. Any of the memory options should be more than enough (you can always add/delete things before a trip), so it really just depends on your budget. If you want the 3G option, go for it. However, considering you already have an iPhone, I'd say it's superflous to get the 3G activated on the iPad. Anything you need then and there without WiFi can be pulled up on your phone without paying an extra charge to have it on your iPad.

I swear he's on the goddamned thing more than the computer now. Like Old R.O. said, it's not a replacement, but for checking email and general web surfing, it's pretty handy. I'm excited to get one for Christmas.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am also typing this from an iPad. Concur with others especially 7888 and Old RO. One thing not mentioned is most stupefying battery life out there bar none. Apple rated it at 9 hours....that is way conservative. I charged it overnight and left from ORF at 0530 on a Wed using in the Southwest kabuki line where I'd never use a laptop. I used it without charging until arriving back at ORF at 2230 on Friday and it was showing 3% power left.

It's not only a great supplement to a laptop, it is my primary means of watching several email accounts. It is easy transition from iPhone, but I also find myself liking and using upgraded features like calendar and contacts as well as the photo gallery...size does matter and makes a big difference. Recommend Docs-to-go App ($9.99) to read, store and edit Microsoft Office documents.

I bought mine very early when I stumbled on a display at Best Buy. At that time, only wi-fi was available so I could wait and possibly be stuck with contract if I didn't really like it so I opted to be an early adopter. It never leaves my side. I've tried 4 different protective case options and 4 variations of stands. Seems like more and more choices come out every week. Wish I was as happy with my iPhone4 (I'm ready to skip that across the water as in the Corona commercial).

Note: using a laptop in my house sometimes draws a scowl from my insignificant other (she doesn't do computers and has funny notions about what I should do with my spare time on occasions), but the iPad doesn't threaten her as much and is easily concealable when I hear her storming my way.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Heyjoe, what cases have you tried? I'm currently using the apple one, and it works, but I could think of some improvements to it. Also, have you had any luck with screen films/covers? I tried the one made by Zagg, but couldn't get the bastard to seat properly.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Damn my engineer and I just won one of these (one for each of us) in a contest at work. I was kind of luke warm about it until reading this thread. It will be my first experience with anything Apple other that an iPod. I guess I'll probably spend a fortune using it, same as with my other toys.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heyjoe, what cases have you tried? I'm currently using the apple one, and it works, but I could think of some improvements to it. Also, have you had any luck with screen films/covers? I tried the one made by Zagg, but couldn't get the bastard to seat properly.

I bought an aftermarket gel case and inserted that into a Case Logic pouch with a pocket for charger then I realized it didn't need the charger with it constantly and tried a Leather Folio from Office Depot with a pocket designed for an iPad. That was fine for awhile, but I was given an Apple case that seems impervious to water and worked fine, but I like leather so when I went in for second time to Apple Store to address proximity switch issue with iPhone4, they had an InCase leather folio with elastic band that allows it to be used in a variety of tilted positions and secures it safely. I remove when I sit at a desk and use an easel type holder to have it elevated neatly beside my monitor. Seems like optimum combo for me as I'm traveling most of time and rarely sit at at my desk in the man-cave for extended periods of time.