• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting NPR story on USS Bancroft

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Also during plebe summer, he used to chop through our company area on his way to color guard practice. One day, one of the detailers decided to chew his ass. He goes up one side, down the other and for some reason asked him what he wanted to service select. "SEALs Sir." Detailer starts going up one side and down the other again about how he doesn't have what it takes... Fast forward to the Orioles game, and he chops through to go to color guard, this time in summer whites with his Trident showing all its glory. The detailer just watched him chop by, mouth agape and didn't say a word.

Ahh, yes. The legend that everyone knows about.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One that comes to mind are the "thoughts of the day" he wrote during plebe summer. He never really stressed about plebe summer (for obvious reasons), so he got some entertainment through his thoughts of the day. One was: "It burns when I pee. Is this bad?"

Also during plebe summer, he used to chop through our company area on his way to color guard practice. One day, one of the detailers decided to chew his ass. He goes up one side, down the other and for some reason asked him what he wanted to service select. "SEALs Sir." Detailer starts going up one side and down the other again about how he doesn't have what it takes... Fast forward to the Orioles game, and he chops through to go to color guard, this time in summer whites with his Trident showing all its glory. The detailer just watched him chop by, mouth agape and didn't say a word.

I don't know many other stories, because he wasn't in my company. I did run into him in the fleet. I had just checked into my squadron and was walking into the hangar as he was walking out. He was there to do some coordination since he was going out with the 24 MEU...

Just curious, how would that work once he gets commissioned? Since he's already earned his Trident, does he have to do BUD/s again as an officer? Or does he go back to the teams?

phrogpilot73

Just curious, how would that work once he gets commissioned? Since he's already earned his Trident, does he have to do BUD/s again as an officer? Or does he go back to the teams?
As far as I know, he didn't go to BUDS... I thought (and I could be wrong here) that he went to a mini-type BUDS refresher type thing just to get him back in the swing of things/up on all the latest TTPs before heading to the Teams.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As far as I know, he didn't go to BUDS... I thought (and I could be wrong here) that he went to a mini-type BUDS refresher type thing just to get him back in the swing of things/up on all the latest TTPs before heading to the Teams.

I thought mini-BUDS was just a "do you really want this"/screening process for potential SEAL officers, not someplace to actually learn TTPs. Am I mstaken?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I thought mini-BUDS was just a "do you really want this"/screening process for potential SEAL officers, not someplace to actually learn TTPs. Am I mstaken?
No, you are correct. phrog73 said mini-type BUDS to mean some basic refamiliarization/refresher.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The commandant is just...wow. Anyone heard her series of speeches where she insults priors and then 'apologizes' (read:insults them again)?

Thanks for letting me vent, take care out there.

Vent away, but what about her insulting priors? Just curious.......

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I meant to reply to this earlier, but forgot. For the great class of 98, the guy who made it to the top was a former Navy SEAL. Pulled himself up and perched on top of the monument to start working on breaking through the packing tape that was used to hold the dixie cup down. He fell off the top of the monument (backwards). Corpsman came and grabbed him and tried to tell him he was done. F-that is pretty much what he said. 5-10 minutes later he was pulling himself back up on to the top of the monument.

My junior year we had a Ranger who had been in Mogadishu come through as a knob. To his credit, he was quite modest, but for some strange reason, no one ever messed with him.........:D

phrogpilot73

No, you are correct. phrog73 said mini-type BUDS to mean some basic refamiliarization/refresher.
What HH-60H said... He didn't have to do the mini-BUDS screening while at USNA, and he didn't go to BUDS upon completion. The way he explained it to me, it was similar to going to the FRS to refresh. I think it was in Coronado, but I don't remember what he told me, it's been so long...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The SEAL refresher syllabus? Is that only 1000 push-ups in freezing surf instead of 2000?