• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting NPR story on USS Bancroft

SH-60OB

pilot
Sounds like you guys are just fishing for a few "when I was a plebe...." statements

I feel for all the suffering the mids must be going through, really I do

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
And every year, a new thread is posted with people worrying about Herndon.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
probably just a striper. why don't they ever interview MIR's????

Yep, they did get a bunch of stripers for the interview. The last guy interviewed is the current Brigade XO. They've eased up a bit since the beginning of the year though. We went from having no weekday liberty to having every other Wednesday, and they've reopened the firstie club one night a week. Yeah, it sucks in comparison to the last couple of years, but it's a lot better than this fall, when we were essentially in lock down.

As far as Herndon's concerned, they're still having it. However, according to the dant, "participation will be limited." I think the basic idea right now is to reward the companies that perform the best during Sea Trials. She hasn't finalized it yet though.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
(S)Amce w/o mids on tuesday nights?? I guess that means no more wet t-shirt contests in SDB's....

From what I've heard, 7th fleet gets the pleasure of seeing that... though I dunno if I'd call that a pleasure.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Update on Herndon:
I have a teammate who is the Herndon CO, and I've been getting some gouge from him. The plan as of now is that all the Plebes from the "Iron Company" from Sea Trials will be allowed to climb Herndon. Every other company will be allowed to select 5 Plebes to participate while the rest are formed up in T-Court waiting.

There has also been talk of some kind of "tag-team" system, but nothing official. There will be NO water hoses, and the rumor is that if the Plebes try to rush Herndon the whole event will be cancelled.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have been told that one of the major reasons for reevaluating the Herndon tradition was safety. So, were are all the injuries they seem to be concerned about? What are we talking about, an occasional broken arm? What is the collective memory on AW of Herndon injuries?

D

DesertRat

Why do people always worry about Herndon or the Academy rules or even the Academy in general? People complain and talk about their miserable time there and then seem so focused on the place after they leave.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I have been told that one of the major reasons for reevaluating the Herndon tradition was safety. So, were are all the injuries they seem to be concerned about? What are we talking about, an occasional broken arm? What is the collective memory on AW of Herndon injuries?

I dont recall any injuries on any of my classmates, except for the expected bruises, soreness and whatnot.

The PAO has said that there have been no major injuries in recent history/memory, but the possibility of it happening is enough to cause concern. This just supposedly is a continuation of making the Academy more like the Fleet, and Herndon has no "direct training correlation to the fleet" according to the Administration.

Junior

pilot
Update on Herndon:
I have a teammate who is the Herndon CO, and I've been getting some gouge from him. The plan as of now is that all the Plebes from the "Iron Company" from Sea Trials will be allowed to climb Herndon. Every other company will be allowed to select 5 Plebes to participate while the rest are formed up in T-Court waiting.

There has also been talk of some kind of "tag-team" system, but nothing official. There will be NO water hoses, and the rumor is that if the Plebes try to rush Herndon the whole event will be cancelled.
I am speechless.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The PAO has said that there have been no major injuries in recent history/memory, but the possibility of it happening is enough to cause concern. This just supposedly is a continuation of making the Academy more like the Fleet, and Herndon has no "direct training correlation to the fleet" according to the Administration.
If there have been no injuries in memory, and there is a very long memory at that institution, then it stands to reason the "possibility" of injury is incredible remote. There are innumerable "possibilities" equally remote. Are they going to take action to intercede in those as well?

As to making USNA more like the fleet and there being no "direct training correlation to the fleet", I leave that easy argument to others. Still, one wonders if the Supe ever experience frivolity and tradition in the fleet. Is he not a shell back? Has he never witnessed foc'sle follies? I propose a training event at the USNA to prepare mids for a crossing the line ceremony so that they are better prepared for the fleet because there would be demonstrative correlation to that fleet activity.