• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting NPR story on USS Bancroft

phrogpilot73

As to making USNA more like the fleet and there being no "direct training correlation to the fleet", I leave that easy argument to others. Still, one wonders if the Supe ever experience frivolity and tradition in the fleet. Is he not a shell back? Has he never witnessed foc'sle follies? I propose a training event at the USNA to prepare mids for a crossing the line ceremony so that they are better prepared for the fleet because there would be demonstrative correlation to that fleet activity.
Probably not, since I don't think there is a foc'sle on a submarine...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Those mids they interviewed really toed the party line...fine hinges in the making!:icon_wink

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Agree. We had a meeting with the dant last week, and she mentioned that Herndon wasn't such a big deal when she was here, so she couldn't understand why everyone cared about it so much now. She even specifically mentioned the article posted earlier, and said that the alum quoted was separated after two years, so we shouldn't believe that climbing Herndon really has that much of a impact on our development as leaders.

For the older usna alums...was it a big deal when you guys were here? I wasn't sure if what she was saying was a load of sh^t or not.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Herndon was pretty big as of 2002 (when 05 was plebes). I mean, it wasn't like the yard revolved around it, but it was definately the second biggest event from dead week/graduation week-outside graduation, of course.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
She even specifically mentioned the article posted earlier, and said that the alum quoted was separated after two years, so we shouldn't believe that climbing Herndon really has that much of a impact on our development as leaders.

what a nasty dig at that alum! :(

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Why do people always worry about Herndon or the Academy rules or even the Academy in general? People complain and talk about their miserable time there and then seem so focused on the place after they leave.

It's the general principle that it's a great place to be from but a horrible place to be. Never changes. Every one wants to see the place change for the better but no one can ever quite agree what that is and everyone wants a say about what can be changed. Seriously it'd almost be better if they just let the alumni vote on changes there. It'd take forever but it'd be better.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree. We had a meeting with the dant last week, and she mentioned that Herndon wasn't such a big deal when she was here, so she couldn't understand why everyone cared about it so much now. She even specifically mentioned the article posted earlier, and said that the alum quoted was separated after two years, so we shouldn't believe that climbing Herndon really has that much of a impact on our development as leaders.

For the older usna alums...was it a big deal when you guys were here? I wasn't sure if what she was saying was a load of sh^t or not.

What is the Commandant's rep in the E-6 community?

As far as I can tell from cursory searching on the internet, and my own hazy memories from growing up near Annapolis, Herndon has been a big deal since before she graduated. Anyone from her era at USNA want to comment, or admit to it? :D

phrogpilot73

As far as I can tell from cursory searching on the internet, and my own hazy memories from growing up near Annapolis, Herndon has been a big deal since before she graduated. Anyone from her era at USNA want to comment, or admit to it? :D
I'm not from her era, but it was a big deal when I went there. We also sponsored mids from the class of '85 onward, and it was always a big deal for them. If you ask my Dad (he's class of '63), it was a big deal. As a matter of fact, they did it after graduation and climbed it (ungreased) in uniform. Quick web search indicates from USNA's own website yields a picture that indicates it was probably a big deal. Here's a picture circa 1958 (20 years before the Supe, and 23 years before the commandant graduated):
3795.jpg

Original photo and timeline located here.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
3795.jpg

Original photo and timeline located here.
If you look closely you can see a guy getting his neck scratched and another mid getting his foot stepped on. I can't believe they didn't show more concern for safety back then. What were they thinking? :eek:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
This just supposedly is a continuation of making the Academy more like the Fleet, and Herndon has no "direct training correlation to the fleet" according to the Administration.

So, have they gotten rid of chow calls and chopping, b/c last time I checked I've never seen that in the Fleet.