• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting IAP's...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That arc is confusing. In real life, the black line isn't crooked, but on the approach plate, it is. When I first saw it, I was trying to find the fix where one arc began and the other ended. Then I reread it. Sheesh.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
If flying a hi tacan/ils is the most tactical thing you'll ever do, then I can see why the widomaker is something to get excited about. Put a boat at the end and you got the cv-2.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
If flying a hi tacan/ils is the most tactical thing you'll ever do, then I can see why the widomaker is something to get excited about. Put a boat at the end and you got the cv-2.

Wow...that's a little self righteous isn't it?...Guess I might as well start knitting since I'm not going to the boat...:confused::sleep_125

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Note that nowhere in flight school is anyone required to shoot the CV-2. Show me someone who never had a helmet fire during instrument training in flight school and I'll show you someone who is full of it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Post up some of your favorite/harriest/strangest etc IAP's.
LEAST favorite/harriest/strangest etc ....

IGS 13 @ HKG Kai Tak, in the ol' days .... especially when you've just been chased around the S. China Sea by your latest, greatest, most favorite typhoon and now it's catchin' up with you on the approach to 13 .... think HUGE overshooting X-Winds on final .... :eek:

An animated 8:13 out of your life taken from clips of real videos ... no crashes, no horror stories -- just a replica of the "real deal" .... come see how the "blue water" airline pilots do it/did it .... :)

Junior

pilot
The hornet doesn't have an ILS? Why is that?
It has an ICLS, but no civilian ILS. The ICLS gives you essentially the same symbology as a civilian ILS, but only works at the boat or a military field with an ICLS. I have heard many different reasons why we have no civilian ILS, I'll defer to the more experienced to chime in.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Money is the only reason I've heard repeatedly.

It would up our capability exponentially if they could just toss one in. I could list dozens of reasons to have one, the most notable simply being safety. The inability to shoot a precision approach NORDO is not a plus of this jet.

The missed approach is a back course of a localizer at another location. That is nucking futs.

Never mind the gigantic cumulous granite clouds that surround it. Looks scary on the chart, makes your butthole pucker even more when you see it. Nothing like ignoring the GPWS to get down to brighten your day.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Look up the VOR/DME into Aspen CO. That was always a favorite of mine. Especially at night.
Been there, done that 9 or 10 times while flying for Avantair. Did it the first time day and the second at night. After the night one, I told the company they could get some other schmuck to go there at night - I wouldn't be doing it at night ever again. They tried again and I refused. It wasn't so bad while tracking the VOR, it's when you break out visually and can't see the mountains because it's so dark that freaks you out.
The missed approach is a back course of a localizer at another location. That is nucking futs.
I flew that once. Never had to again but after the first time, every IFR departure I made out of Aspen I made the company reduce the t/o weight until I had an acceptable single engine climb gradient (we were part 91 and this is not required under 91). It really pissed them off.

Aspen is also a one-way in / one way out airport. Land on 15 and t/o on 33. There is no traffic pattern. They launch departing aircraft straight at you and the departing aircraft are supposed to sidestep right out of the landing aircraft's way and the missed approach. There is no traffic pattern so you can't just enter a downwind if he fails to sidestep. You'll be on a 2 mile final and they will clear an aircraft to t/o with an immediate side step. They did, he didn't, I went missed.

What is on the Jeppesen plates and not the NOAA plates is the high descent angle required for the approach and the high climb gradient required for the missed. I hated Aspen.

Just one of the many reasons my tenure at Avantair was slightly less then 6 months. Anyone getting out and looking for a civilian flying job - avoid these guys. They will kill you if you let them.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Been there, done that 9 or 10 times while flying for Avantair. Did it the first time day and the second at night. After the night one, I told the company they could get some other schmuck to go there at night - I wouldn't be doing it at night ever again. They tried again and I refused. It wasn't so bad while tracking the VOR, it's when you break out visually and can't see the mountains because it's so dark that freaks you out.

Exactly, especially when you have to circle to 33 (wasn't one way when I was there, did that change after the Gulfstream crash?), at night. Seeing all that black out there and not knowing whats rock and whats not ain't fun.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Exactly, especially when you have to circle to 33 (wasn't one way when I was there, did that change after the Gulfstream crash?), at night. Seeing all that black out there and not knowing whats rock and whats not ain't fun.
When I flew Aspen, landing on 33 was prohibited and taking off on 15 was prohibited. If the winds were not within the tailwind limitations of your aircraft, you didn't go. Some idiots did circle and land on 33 at night when the tower was closed and those caught by the FAA promptly had they license yanked.

I think the Gulfstream crash was the nail in the coffin. It was just one of many crashes that eventually led to the one-way rules.

Jackson Hole, WY was another of my favorite airports when flying for Avantair. I had to shoot the ILS there a couple of times. NOT FUN.

At Scenic, I did the VOR/DME C to Ely, NV a bunch of times to minimums at night. Scheduled 121 ops. After we got TAWS, I was a lot more comfortable doing it. TAWS is great - it lets you "see" the mountains electronically. If you have it, trust TAWS - it will save your life.