• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting ATC clip

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow.. HSL is really weird then.. Flying pilot normally made all ATC traffic calls. Non flying pilot just backs him up in case he missed a call..

No we usually (individual AHC preference) have the flying pilot do the talking with the only exception being in a CAS role (reading back info etc) and FAC(A) (front seat talks to CAS agencies etc, back seat (guy flying) talks inter-section.
The HMLA as a community does not have a reputation for radio diarhea of the mouth though.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Non flying pilot just backs him up in case he missed a call..

You better learn to talk and not fly then. :) Seriously though, it's almost difficult to be a decent copilot when you first come out of the RAG since your comms suck, your checklists suck (very slow), and you still have no idea of what's going on. Aside from that though, typically the left seater only talks when the copilot is busy on the other radio (getting atis, talking to base, etc.) or if you're doing drops. In that case, the person flying talks to the drop master and the guy on the ground at the DZ (unless AC wishes otherwise).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think the most difficult part of transition is "un-learning" what I have learned.

There's no reason to unlearn it, just augment it. As I sat through a Form class today, I was thinking, "why the hell do we do that?" Finally I just let it go.

MasterBates

Nah, the Form syllabus here in VT-land.. I think there was/is a brief for the students and IPs.. I kind of fell thru the cracks on that one..

In a lot of ways, HSL is like VRC. In other ways, VRC is much cooler (NO FREAKING SWOS, PerDiem, no nightime normally...)

MasterBates

So what is stopping you from going to the class? your busy schedule as a born again SNA?

With the new TMS2 (TIMS) system, if you are not "opted in" you cannot take the courseware for the class.. If it's not in your syllabus, the contractors will not opt you in (not in the contract).. God I hate contractors sometimes.

Skid, I was flying the last 2 times it was happeing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
With the new TMS2 (TIMS) system, if you are not "opted in" you cannot take the courseware for the class.. If it's not in your syllabus, the contractors will not opt you in (not in the contract).. God I hate contractors sometimes.

Skid, I was flying the last 2 times it was happeing.

The courseware will be worthless to you, just get the FTI and go to the class. Sure, you won't be "opted in," whatever the hell that means, but you can still sit through the class. Why, I'm not sure, if you're not going to fly any Forms, but hey, you could go.

MasterBates

No, I just was scheduled to fly the last 2 classes. I fly so infrequently, that I take any flights I can get.. I "got smart" on Forms today.. Got the "gouge"..

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
back to comm stuff

Moving back to the comm differences theme....Why do P3s spend so much time on VHF around the field? It creates a huge SA sump for everyone else in the airspace when you're only hearing one side of conversation (the controller simulcasting on UHF and VHF). I've heard that the airplane has maint issues with its UHFs... Can they not be fixed? With all of the stuff that the P3s do on and around the runways (roll and goes, back taxis, practice aborts, etc etc etc) it would sure make it easier / safer for all other concerned parties to be on the same freq - on the same freq excercising comm brevity of course.