• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting ATC clip

MasterBates

While the COD is trying to run over the 60 that is stuck in Starboard D, and not being warned that the COD is arriving..

MasterBates

Twice I got the crap scared out of me by a No-Comm COD..

Were in Starboard D with the Crusier CO in the back, waiting to bring him over for a conference... We're at 200ish, doing the textbook starboard D pattern. HS is somewhere IN the airspace at 100. Talkign on Springfield to aviod them.. as I'm about to turn 045 outbound..

VMMMMMMMMMMMHH the COD went overhead not 100' above us..

Me to OIC (the HAC): What the FVCK!!!
OIC to Me: Did we miss a radio call! WTF!
AW to OIC: Good thing were at 200'
CO to AW: Is that thing (the COD) supposed to be that low?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Starboard not just for COD and helos?

Well played ;) Good to hear the starboard D stories... Many an hour I've spent in starboard D. Not as much as the SARDET though!

Our sister squadron had a LT who had transitioned from the H-2 to the Tomcat and his first time at the boat with the fleet, he arrived as a singleton and broke right into starboard D pattern. Guess he was nervous and reverted to his helo habits. He had been to boat before, but always on someone's wing....made for funny Airplan cartoon.

Pitchlock

pilot
Kind of what I was talking about with the comm out recovery. An entire launch, with the previous cycle holding in a stack overhead, at the last launch off the waist, the guys at the bottom of the stack have already broken the deck, and started the recovery, rolling into the groove the second the deck goes green, then recovering 15-20 planes (with maybe a bolter or three)... and no one ever says a word. The only light gun signals we have are the cut lights on the ball.

And that's not a special circumstance. It's SOP.

Well have you ever swapped station with a another p-3 while tracking a live target at night at low alt in the goo? We had a sister squadron mess it up off socal...cost 25 lives...

About comm brevity, its all controller dependent. While flying out of Moffet Field we got really good at keeping it short while talking in the SFO airspace. While talking on the HFs we talked loud and slow. While talking to ICAO controllers whose first language was not english we also talked by the book and slowly.

Ever fly the old system off Soviet Union (cant say anymore opsec)?

P-3's are probably the best platform at comms. We talk in the most varied circumstances.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
P-3's are probably the best platform at comms. We talk in the most varied circumstances.

Rrrriggghttt. But I do think you have a point about the environment you're in. Since guys at the boat are all on the same page, comms are short (or zip-lip). I just find it funny that "Navy xxxxx is at the one-eighty with three down and locked looking for the touch and go" is more in line with what I've heard P-3/flight insturctor bubbas say, whereas it would be "24, abeam, gear, touch and go" in the jet world. Just an observation; not looking for a fight.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
i dont know much specifically about that aircraft but why are the inboard gear doors still open, unless the gear were in transition at the time the picture was taken which seems impossible, i would think they should be up

I talked to pilot a yesterday who used to fly the MD80 and I asked him if the plane could and would land safely with the main gear doors open and he said that if you try to manually extend the gear, the gear doors would hang out loose. But there is a skid strip at the tip of each gear door designed for this reason. He also said it was procedure to tell the passengers not to be worried about the sparks flying, and that the reason would be these skid strips on the gear door.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Rrrriggghttt. But I do think you have a point about the environment you're in...

Yeah, I'm with kmac on this one, and this is coming from one who's community tends to be a bit verbose since we're used to talking over a secure Full-Duplex datalink most of the time. I'm not saying VP isn't capable and effective, and I agree it depends on the environment, but in my experience, doing tactical stuff w/ VP can sometimes turn into a rambling conversation.

MasterBates

Ahh... Hawklink Stream of Conciousness Play by Play... Taught in the RAG, and not much improved upon in the real world...

Wanna make a 2Ps head explode? Put him in a live ASW exercise with NO green circuits to talk on...

Pitchlock

pilot
Not trying to fight, just defending the community...which doesn't happen often. :icon_tong

I recently met a sr chief and told her I was a P-3 pilot. She said theres not many of you left, kinda made me sad.

Probably the biggest reason P-3 talk more is the one not at the controls is the one talking so he has the time to babble.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not trying to fight, just defending the community...which doesn't happen often. :icon_tong

I recently met a sr chief and told her I was a P-3 pilot. She said theres not many of you left, kinda made me sad.

Probably the biggest reason P-3 talk more is the one not at the controls is the one talking so he has the time to babble.

This makes no sense. It's not as though the community has been down-sized recently. :confused:

Second, unless you're talking about single seat platforms - arguably in the minority - the aircrew member not at the controls (pilot or NFO) is talking on the radios. You can slice it up any way you choose, but IMO, being chatty and verbose on the radios is sloppy aviating and unprofessional.

Brett

MasterBates

This makes no sense. It's not as though the community has been down-sized recently. :confused:

Second, unless you're talking about single seat platforms - arguably in the minority - the aircrew member not at the controls (pilot or NFO) is talking on the radios. You can slice it up any way you choose, but IMO, being chatty and verbose on the radios is sloppy aviating and unprofessional.

Brett

Wow.. HSL is really weird then.. Flying pilot normally made all ATC traffic calls. Non flying pilot just backs him up in case he missed a call..