• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My complaint about the food in Pcola was that it was terrible for you--high calorie, yes, but I gained muscle and fat at OCS, and it was a relief to have lower fat choices in candio phase.
Eating a hard-boiled egg and bowl of raisin bran with lowfat milk sure beat the hell out of stuffing my face with french toast sticks, waffles, and fake scrambled eggs for sure. However, my point was both options beat the snot out of what some servicemembers are eating on a daily basis. In the end, you're not starving to death unless you choose not to eat, so it's silly for someone to be a princess about it to the CoC there by saying "I never got enough food." A complaint like "Because we weren't allowed dairy, we couldn't get our daily allowance of calcium. Recommend allowing OCs to drink a glass of milk a day" would be more appropriate.

Sonog

pilot
Candio phase with a single candio class taking on two incoming indoc classes, now that was a challenge.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You rocket surgeons need to stop posting about OCS while you're still actually there.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I thought part of the point of OCS was to learn to function at a high level with less food and sleep than you're used to.

LET73

I thought part of the point of OCS was to learn to function at a high level with less food and sleep than you're used to.
Less sleep, yes. Less food, not so much. They don't actually want you to end up in the hospital. They may well be preparing you to get by on less appetizing food (Spekkio's right, MREs are worse than OCS chow, while boat food is pretty much comparable), but while you might lose out on sleep during a deployment and still have to function, you probably aren't going to starve.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Speaking of the chow hall, I was just told by someone still there that after 3 recent choking incidents and 2 NAMs as a result, apparently eating by the numbers is secured. For everyone.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Speaking of the chow hall, I was just told by someone still there that after 3 recent choking incidents and 2 NAMs as a result, apparently eating by the numbers is secured. For everyone.

Good. I never understood the point of it past like the 2nd or 3rd week. Once everyone gets the hang of it, it just becomes a ridiculous joke. But it was fun eating steak with a spoon.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Good. I never understood the point of it past like the 2nd or 3rd week. Once everyone gets the hang of it, it just becomes a ridiculous joke. But it was fun eating steak with a spoon.

Supposed to be all about coordination and drill or something. Part of me is like "good, that was silly and just kept people underfed during indoc" and another part of me is like "*stream of expletives* what do you mean they don't have to put up with the same crap I did?!?"

JULIET_SIERRA

FINSEL: 07-14 OCS (SNA)
I'm currently studying/memorizing the OCS knowledge package from the OCS website. I know from when I was in NJROTC that things such as the general orders of a sentry and the articles of the code of conduct have to be memorized word for word, but what about things such as the 15 leadership traits and the levels of war? Do these have to be memorized word for word or as long as you know what they are and have a general idea of the definition you should be ok? I'm mostly looking for insight by those who have recently attended OCS. Thank you!

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm currently studying/memorizing the OCS knowledge package from the OCS website. I know from when I was in NJROTC that things such as the general orders of a sentry and the articles of the code of conduct have to be memorized word for word, but what about things such as the 15 leadership traits and the levels of war? Do these have to be memorized word for word or as long as you know what they are and have a general idea of the definition you should be ok? I'm mostly looking for insight by those who have recently attended OCS. Thank you!

It depends on the DI. When I was there, we had to know them or we took the hit at RLP. The best thing is to have a general familiarity and memorize them at OCS if needed.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor

I just graduated on the 12th. Tiz is right that it depends on the DI or RDC who's quizzing you, but they rarely ask for leadership traits or levels of war at RLP. They definitely came up for our 6th week PI, though. The main focus for RLP is the Code of Conduct, Chain of Command, General Orders, Rates and Ranks, and service songs. Only once you have those down cold should you worry about memorizing the next things. The types of warfare (electronic, air, surface, strike, etc.) never came up, as far as I can recall.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
We got asked what our favorite leadership trait was and to define it. It was well-known that's how they presented the question if it was going to be asked at all.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
We got asked what our favorite leadership trait was and to define it. It was well-known that's how they presented the question if it was going to be asked at all.

At our 6th week PI, one RDC asked candidates what the third leadership trait was. So know the order (JJ DID TIE BUCKLE H).
And at ORLP, I was asked to define integrity. When you don't know it, don't pause to think about it or make a face or whatever, because then they'll hit you on bearing, too. Just come right out and say "This officer candidate does not know." Other than that, maybe memorize three to be safe. No one can be expected to know all of them, especially with Nav and NOS finals the next friggin' day.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
At our 6th week PI, one RDC asked candidates what the third leadership trait was. So know the order (JJ DID TIE BUCKLE H).
And at ORLP, I was asked to define integrity. When you don't know it, don't pause to think about it or make a face or whatever, because then they'll hit you on bearing, too. Just come right out and say "This officer candidate does not know." Other than that, maybe memorize three to be safe. No one can be expected to know all of them, especially with Nav and NOS finals the next friggin' day.

Incorrect - we were expected to know them all, and I heard "give me the Leadership Traits in order with definitions - GO!" during RLP. Its not hard to learn them all before hand - make flashcards, review every night, and you'll have them memorized in a week.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Incorrect - we were expected to know them all, and I heard "give me the Leadership Traits in order with definitions - GO!" during RLP. Its not hard to learn them all before hand - make flashcards, review every night, and you'll have them memorized in a week.

I mean, if people waiting for OCS already have the Navy/Marine ranks (officer and enlisted) down perfectly, with all pertinent devices, and can recite the articles of the Code of Conduct and General Orders verbatim, and can sing the two service songs (melody and all), and know their Chain of Command perfectly, then sure, go ahead and study those leadership traits. Since I'm assuming nobody has all that stuff 100% yet, I'd highly recommend spending the mental energy on reviewing the aforementioned items. Even if the DI/Chief asks for those traits during 3rd-week RLP—and that's a huge if—the resulting hit won't be the deal breaker. But most likely, they're not going to ask for it. I graduated recently and haven't ever heard of the leadership traits being brought up during RLP. I have seen people take on multiple knowledge hits for missing the crucial items, though.