• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I mean, if people waiting for OCS already have the Navy/Marine ranks (officer and enlisted) down perfectly, with all pertinent devices, and can recite the articles of the Code of Conduct and General Orders verbatim, and can sing the two service songs (melody and all), and know their Chain of Command perfectly, then sure, go ahead and study those leadership traits. Since I'm assuming nobody has all that stuff 100% yet, I'd highly recommend spending the mental energy on reviewing the aforementioned items. Even if the DI/Chief asks for those traits during 3rd-week RLP—and that's a huge if—the resulting hit won't be the deal breaker. But most likely, they're not going to ask for it. I graduated recently and haven't ever heard of the leadership traits being brought up during RLP. I have seen people take on multiple knowledge hits for missing the crucial items, though.

Only one guy I know came in with ALL his knowledge down cold, and then he got another three weeks to study it even more in H-class with me.
For the record, if you're not familiar with the Star-Spangled Banner, you might think about brushing up on that; that's the last thing I was asked at RLP. I knew it, but my previous roommate didn't. And you call attention before you sing it, just like with the service songs. Same goes for the Navy Hymn, but don't bother memorizing that one. If they ask you for the Navy Hymn, it's because they want you to fail.
All in all, it's about prioritizing (a common theme at OCS). The big stuff is the General Orders, Chain of Command, Code of Conduct, rates/ranks, and the two service songs and the Sailor's Creed. Less urgent are the leadership traits, levels of war, and the breast insignia (focus on yours and your roommate's). If you have the big stuff down and some semblance of familiarity with the rest, you're already ahead of at least 90% of the people going with you.

JULIET_SIERRA

FINSEL: 07-14 OCS (SNA)
Only one guy I know came in with ALL his knowledge down cold, and then he got another three weeks to study it even more in H-class with me.
For the record, if you're not familiar with the Star-Spangled Banner, you might think about brushing up on that; that's the last thing I was asked at RLP. I knew it, but my previous roommate didn't. And you call attention before you sing it, just like with the service songs. Same goes for the Navy Hymn, but don't bother memorizing that one. If they ask you for the Navy Hymn, it's because they want you to fail.
All in all, it's about prioritizing (a common theme at OCS). The big stuff is the General Orders, Chain of Command, Code of Conduct, rates/ranks, and the two service songs and the Sailor's Creed. Less urgent are the leadership traits, levels of war, and the breast insignia (focus on yours and your roommate's). If you have the big stuff down and some semblance of familiarity with the rest, you're already ahead of at least 90% of the people going with you.
When you say service songs, you mean the Marines' Hymn and Anchors Aweigh or Navy Hymn? Also, should I learn these songs from the lyrics in the OCS package or from the actual songs (as listened on youtube) because they don't exactly follow the lyrics? One last thing, should I only be familiar with verse 1 of the Star-Spangled Banner (what we sing as the national anthem) or verse 1 through 4 (the full national anthem)? Thanks again!

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
When you say service songs, you mean the Marines' Hymn and Anchors Aweigh or Navy Hymn? Also, should I learn these songs from the lyrics in the OCS package or from the actual songs (as listened on youtube) because they don't exactly follow the lyrics? One last thing, should I only be familiar with verse 1 of the Star-Spangled Banner (what we sing as the national anthem) or verse 1 through 4 (the full national anthem)? Thanks again!

"Service songs" refers to the Marines' Hymn and Anchors Aweigh, at least it does at OCS. When you get your OCR, you'll notice that the Navy Hymn and the Star-Spangled Banner are also there in Appendix B. Only the first verse of the Star-Spangled Banner is listed in there, so that's all you would have to know. But that's a relatively remote possibility. It'd be ridiculous if you focused on it and then tripped up on the Marines' Hymn.
I'm not sure how the lyrics are in the package, I know the one I was given was fairly outdated, so these lyrics are the ones we went by: Marines' Hymn and Anchors Aweigh (the last part of the section specifies the OCS version, conveniently enough). And they'll also be in the OCR.

Top_Gun_101

Fly GA
Hello, I just have a question regarding the OCS application/selection process. I know you can apply for OCS 6 months prior to your college graduation date and I should be eligible to apply around 6 months from now. Does applying for OCS before having a 4 year degree affect the selection process at all? I am trying to go for Aviation community and I need advice from anyone who's familiar on how the process works....
I am currently a drilling reservist with 4 years of active duty time, I have a pilot license and already have secret clearance and 2nd class swim qual.

Pmurphy21

OCS candidate for spring/summer 2013
Hello, I just have a question regarding the OCS application/selection process. I know you can apply for OCS 6 months prior to your college graduation date and I should be eligible to apply around 6 months from now. Does applying for OCS before having a 4 year degree affect the selection process at all? I am trying to go for Aviation community and I need advice from anyone who's familiar on how the process works....
I am currently a drilling reservist with 4 years of active duty time, I have a pilot license and already have secret clearance and 2nd class swim qual.

There is no issue applying before you have your degree. I was accepted around the same time I graduated and was almost on my way to OCS before I had a hard copy of my degree to give to my recruiter.

mike23!

I know it says that having an engineering degree is a plus for applying for Navy Pilot, but does having a general studies degree lower my chances? I have a 3.7 gpa and will graduate in October 2014.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I know it says that having an engineering degree is a plus for applying for Navy Pilot, but does having a general studies degree lower my chances? I have a 3.7 gpa and will graduate in October 2014.

Probably not, or if any, it isn't significant. You have a good GPA, so that's nice. The rest of your package is more important than the degree. With that GPA, get a good ASTB and you're a really strong candidate, provided everything else is in order (age, etc.).

Source: I'm a journalism major in flight school :)

mike23!

Probably not, or if any, it isn't significant. You have a good GPA, so that's nice. The rest of your package is more important than the degree. With that GPA, get a good ASTB and you're a really strong candidate, provided everything else is in order (age, etc.).

Source: I'm a journalism major in flight school :)
Sounds good, i was worried they wouldnt accept that degree, ill be taking the ASTB the second week of December when my classes are done and will be submitting my package for the June 2014 board. Thanks for the info.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, you answered your own question; however, GPA is king (matters much more than major), and your 3.70 is 'groovy'. Just destroy your ASTB/AOR and you will be poopin' in clover, and fartin' through silk... good luck!
BzB[

mike23!

Actually, you answered your own question; however, GPA is king (matters much more than major), and your 3.70 is 'groovy'. Just destroy your ASTB/AOR and you will be poopin' in clover, and fartin' through silk... good luck!
BzB[

LOL, thats funny, ive never heard that before. Thanks for the info, at least I know now that I have a good chance.

lawgal

"Service songs" refers to the Marines' Hymn and Anchors Aweigh, at least it does at OCS. When you get your OCR, you'll notice that the Navy Hymn and the Star-Spangled Banner are also there in Appendix B. Only the first verse of the Star-Spangled Banner is listed in there, so that's all you would have to know. But that's a relatively remote possibility. It'd be ridiculous if you focused on it and then tripped up on the Marines' Hymn.
I'm not sure how the lyrics are in the package, I know the one I was given was fairly outdated, so these lyrics are the ones we went by: Marines' Hymn and Anchors Aweigh (the last part of the section specifies the OCS version, conveniently enough). And they'll also be in the OCR.

Does it help if I can play them all on an instrument?

J/K, but seriously, I'm nervous enough as it is. Something familiar in an environment like that might actually help.

ensignscan

@lawgal, there is absolutely no need to be nervous about OCS. I am a recent OCS commission, and I can assure you that the program is extremely easy to get through. The new CO of OTCN Newport has relaxed almost all of the stress and rigor that used to characterize the commissioning program. As professionals, the drill instructors and chiefs never explicitly articulated their frustrations; however, it was glaringly obvious to all of us how much their hands have been tied. I did not know a single one of my classmates that thought the program was challenging in any substantive way. Perhaps the only difficult aspect of the program is watching individuals who have no business becoming naval officers earn their commissions. It truly is a shame what the new OTCN administration has done to a proud tradition - the new CO sees OTCN as more of an officer factory than an officer qualifying curriculum.