• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
We were never required to learn/know appendix c (aircraft, ships, weaponry, etc). Only appendix A and B...everything is listed on the OCS website.

Navy_DT

Thanks... all the advice one can give!! ;)Yes I am prior... I was a DT (dental tech) now they have merged with HM(Corpsman). I got out in 2005. Not too long ago. I can def pass the PRT and I def NEED to brush up on Sailors Creed, Codes of Conduct, etc... I think I am really going to buckle down on that... I HATED memorizing that stuff in bootcamp. I was the R-PAC (if thats even the exact initals)... I lead my division after the original one got fired half way through... I can do a basic swim, and get a 3rd class qual(I am only going supply), pass the PRT, I got the Navy rank structure down pat and most of the Marine Corps which is sad I was on a MCAS in Beaufort my last 2 years... it just gets confusing after Gunny :confused: Navy enlisted boot camp was challenging but nothing that I would really say was very hard, difficult or unbearable.... I actually had fun most of it. (Call me coo coo) but they say OCS is completely different and I guess I am trying to figure- in what way?

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
All of the priors in my class said it was completely different from boot camp for the harder.
Advice? Don't quit, it isn't impossible even though it will seem like it at times.

Aircrew Instruc

None
DT Prior AW1 here I went to bootcamp in 93 (yeah I'm old) let me say bootcamp is a joke. I thought so going through, OCS on the other hand... lets just say I have a lot more respect for Marine training now. It's not that bad but at a few points your going to think DAMN who knew holding my shoelaces could hurt so much.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Well, in my short, 6 month OCS experience, I saw quite a few prior enlisted DOR. The reason? The vast majority (of the ones that quit), let OCS screw with their heads on a very deep level.

They had the "This is B.S. to get treated this way, I was coming up on chief, and now i'm being treated like I don't know squat about the Navy.. blah blah blah" attitude.

There were two types of priors that went through OCS (in my experience)... Either they greatly excelled at everything and let their enlisted experience play a fundamental role in helping themselves and the class, or the second type; those that let a poor "I'm too good for this crap" attitude take them down.

It's almost as if the ones (that had the bad attitude) didn't know how much of a mindf*ck OCS really was prior to arriving... As if they weren't prepared or didn't know what to expect.

I think that as a prior, if you can avoid the attitude pitfall and go out of your way to help others in the class (from everything like how to properly make a rack, to convincing them that OCS isn't at all like the "Real Navy"), you will probably rise to the top of your class.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
just keep in mind that 95% of what you will be doing is pre scripted. there is almost nothing done on a whim, almost all RPT sessions are going to happen regardless if anyone does something wrong or not -- they're just disguised daily exercise. everything has a purpose most of which you won't recognize until after you get out of there if at all. don't let them get into your head, realize its all a mind game. don't let fellow class mates get to your head because some of them will be so screwed up it'll try to screw you up to. some of your biggest challenges will be related to fellow candidates.

and on a more mundane level ...

don't touch your face! not unless you just washed your hands with SOAP and WATER real good. use the damned sanitize stations on the walls whenever you pass by, just a little bit goes a long way.

if you like exercise and super stressfull environments (at least at first) try to be class president. some people just love dealing with the DI's and getting RPT'ed in the DI p-way.

split your gear up into "workout" and "clean" gear... ie: sleep and do sweepers in your "clean" sweats and PT shirt put when you get up in the morning at 0445 for morning PT put on your nasty PT sweats and shirt to go crawl in.

and remember... the last night of OCS, SLEEP UNDER THE SHEETS! so many of us had never slept under the sheets the entire time we were there and even myself forgot to do it the last night, the only night we really could because we would be turning in the sheets the next day anyway. consider it one of those minor victories.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^I second seperating display and PT gear. We had one guy in my class actually display his sweaty socks that he had just PT'd in that morning with little blades of grass all over them for RLP. I'm pretty sure he DOR'd.

Navy_DT

Thanks for all the advice... amymore I am welcome to it! I already have alot of motivation going because of my current personal situation... I just feel as though I have made a HUGE mistake in leaving the NAVY in the first place and cant wait to get back in. I always knew if I stayed in I would put on Khakis :icon_tong ... I am doing it for my kids, really which is my biggest motivator plus I just miss the heck out of the Navy. I like the structure and the commradere (did I spell that right?) Its not the same in the civilian world... I found that out pretty quick - thank God I worked with a retired HMC - we had alot of things in common, my first civlian job. I guess I just want to know what to expect and the main differences between boot camp and OCS...

oh and once you are able to have some type of liberty... when will that be and how does that go?

exo

Yes, thanks for the insight. I have been bumming around waiting for a Final Selection (10 weeks tomorrow after I received pro-rec) and I find this information valuable.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
"sleep and do sweepers in your "clean" sweats"

"and remember... the last night of OCS, SLEEP UNDER THE SHEETS!"

Just watch out for that toilet cleaner, it left bleach marks all over my sweats. When your girl comes to see you graduate, sleeping under the sheets will be the last thing on your mind...

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
Think of liberty as neither here nor there. Some classes get it and some classes don't. This, they will say, has everything to do with how well your class does but the simple fact of the matter is that your DI will determine that and some give it and some never do until you're a stinking Candi-O. Of course, with some DI's...ask and ye' shall receive...or just get told "NO STUPID! Get on your face for asking such a stupid F#@$% question!!"