• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Congrats on the commission. Has anyone noticed how many times someone graduated OCS and thinks that it is getting easier for newer classes? I thought the same thing when I was finishing, I kind of chuckle at it now.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Eh...I thought that when I was a jr. candio. Then I saw 23(?)'s wakeup wednesday and found out that it was just all dependent on the DIs style. Some are just more PT-oriented than others.

However, there have been two big policy changes that make OCS markedly easier since I left not so long ago -- no bear crawling, and a complete revamp of RLP. Similarly, the move from Pensacola to Newport brought with it two big changes that made OCS markedly easier -- only one RLP, and DIs can't 'play' with you in chow hall.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Similarly, the move from Pensacola to Newport brought with it two big changes that made OCS markedly easier -- only one RLP, and DIs can't 'play' with you in chow hall.

These changes took place after the first few Newport OCS classes. There were definitely some growing pains with the first few classes figuring out how things were going to work in the new local.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Eh...I thought that when I was a jr. candio. Then I saw 23(?)'s wakeup wednesday and found out that it was just all dependent on the DIs style. Some are just more PT-oriented than others.

23's was the ones with the epic 90 min welcome aboard. And less we forget thier mythic 6-8 hour beating (The hours change from candidate to candidate, as a first hand witness, I say it was at least 6 hours)

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot

However, there have been two big policy changes that make OCS markedly easier since I left not so long ago -- no bear crawling, and a complete revamp of RLP. Similarly, the move from Pensacola to Newport brought with it two big changes that made OCS markedly easier -- only one RLP, and DIs can't 'play' with you in chow hall.
i think you mean 22-08's?

23's was our DI's next class and he whooped them up pretty damn good, made them sit looking at the wall during the 4th of july and such. 23-08 got an epic beating because the whole class failed RLP the first time IIRC.

i think 22's was the one where the welcome aboard was basically a walk through the sand pits and the building leaving us all standing around going WTF? i personally don't remember much "walking" going on during our welcome aboard.

and for the record, i'd much rather bear crawl than star jump. once you get the bear crawl technique down and some muscle mass in key locations it wasn't so bad. star jumpers suck no matter what. i'd say it is now easier due to RLP being much more lax but the PT is probably worse simply because of those damned star jumpers.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
i think 22's was the one where the welcome aboard was basically a walk through the sand pits and the building leaving us all standing around going WTF? i personally don't remember much "walking" going on during our welcome aboard.
Yea, maybe them. Their wakeup wed featured our di and 'rabdo king' making them bear crawl for 60-90 minutes while their di was on leave. They had 3 dors and a heat exhaustion case that morning. Fun stuff.

BackOrdered

Contributor
23-08 got an epic beating because the whole class failed RLP the first time IIRC.

Looking back, that was a freaking awesome experience.

Said to be the worse beating in known memory in the regiment. The entire regiment later, especially H who got front row seats from there window, said they were in awe. It was brutal. He could only beat us in half hour intervals, so he would rest the class in the P-way while we dumped a beach worth of sand. Then we would stand at attention looking around horrified (in our 2nd pair of destoryed poopy suits) whispering "Holy **** Holy ****, is it over? Oh god oh god". Then he would come back and nuke us some more. Then once he decided that was too good for us, he had us stand on the hill outside the chow hall with our head looking straight up. Sounds simple until an hour passed and all of our shoulder muscles gave out. We even had a DOR. I rolled out and into 01-09 and got similar treatment broken into 9 more weeks by the "Destroyer". At that point, beatings lost all meaning.

Glad to have been a part of history! :D

They even got secured and leave right after RLP. We were all so jealous.

badger16

None
The worst was the down and back's during pt. Sprint/bear crawl to one end of the field, Monkey F*uckers/push ups in place then star jumpers back.
Anyone remember spider man crawl's? Those sucked. Sort of looks like you are scaling a wall while you are crawling across the ground, it keeps you constantly in the down push up position. Glad I only had to do that one a few time.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
This all sounds quite exciting, I can't wait to do hundreds of yards worth of increasingly painful exercises! YES!:icon_smil

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
After RLP? We lost our chairs in the second week, and don't even think of sitting on the rack before taps...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
How long is it typically taking candidates to finish right now? Do most people roll a class?

I know it's 12 weeks but it seems like a lot of people are staying much longer.

badger16

None
How long is it typically taking candidates to finish right now? Do most people roll a class?

I know it's 12 weeks but it seems like a lot of people are staying much longer.

It all depends on how "special" you are. I think it would be fair to say if you are a prior, prepare to stay a bit longer...at least plan to fail RLP. No prior from the 3-4 classes around mine passed RLP the first time. and I can think of 7 off the top of my head that at least rolled once. The DI's seem to like to test the guys who have been in to see if they are willing to put up with the bull S*it.
I made it in 12 weeks but I just kept my head down the whole time and did my thing,just played the game. If you play the game and put out I don't see why you wouldn't expect to make it in 12 weeks.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Of our 24 graduates, we had ~45% who originally started with our class. Started with something like 39 or 41 candidates. We lost about 6-8 due to in-PFA failures, gained some H'ers, and lost another 11 from bronchitis (3 for going to medical on their own accord, and 8 when our class LT herded us all from chow hall to medical). Gained a couple more H'ers who rolled for being sick. We had no RLP or injury roll-outs.